• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Washer Sprayer

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Is there a way to test the pump? When I got the Ex it worked. Now it doesn't. I blew a fuse at one point and I think I got them all replaced. I haven't noticed anything else not working so I don't know if it's possible that the pump burnt up? Any advice on checking this would be great. I did a quick check of the fuses and didn't see where any were shot and then forgot about it. Now that it's winter and the roads are covered in salt, so is my window and it would be nice to have my sprayer back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that's one of the ones I checked. I can't remember now for sure. I'm at work tonight so if we don't get the 6" of snow they're forecasting tonight and tomorrow morning I'll check in the morning.

My pumps flaky sometimes and i have found that the connector to the pump is cracking and falling apart like so many of them on a 25 year old truck. Very likely a short there.

2X on Mark's suggestion above. I had similar problem and it was due to the wire connections to the pump. They corroded over time, until I replaced them. Then over time and vibration they can still loosen. Also check the wires themselves and the insulation.

I'll check out the connections. That's easy enough.

If the pump is bad, I have one I'll sell you. Or you can buy universal ones cheap. Are you sure it didn't freeze?

It wasn't working in the summer either so I'm pretty sure it's not frozen. Besides checking the fuse and connector, which I'll do this morning since we got exactly 0 of the 6-10" of forecasted snow, is there a way to disconnect it and power the pump directly off the battery to determine for sure that's not the problem? I'd like to think it's just the fuse as that would make sense but I didn't see a bad fuse the first time I checked.

Alright Gentlemen. I'm at a home computer that will actually let me see pictures and I have lied completely. I did not check that because I didn't realize it was a circuit breaker and not a fuse. What the heck? Why couldn't they just run a fuse there? Oh well. Dumb question I'm sure but is there any chance I could get away with a fuse there or what's the difference in how the operate? Scratch that, I'm guessing I can salvage one from the old farm truck (94 F150).

Got out this morning. Switched the fuse from the Ex and the F150. Nothing. Went to pull apart the connector and realized that I had taken it apart in the past as I had sudden flashbacks of the string of curses that escaped as I was trying to get that connector apart. Figured I might as well take it apart again. Got it apart, got out the electrical connector cleaner and sprayed everything down real well. Gave it a couple minutes to dry and viola! Wiper sprayer works. Yay...

Back