Windshield wipers do not work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bpasters

Reaction score
City, State
ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer eddie bauer
Hello all. I have a 95 explorer 2 door that I have been having issues with the wipers on. I had a new multifunction switch put in and I'm on a newly refurbished GEM. The wipers only worked when it was warm out when I first got the car but now they don't work at all. The first GEM I had put in was at the recommendation of a mechanic that did all the diagnostics and determined that was the issue. After the first one the wipers worked for about two days then went out again. They did diagnostics again and said it must have been a bad GEM so I got a new one and they still don't work. I am going to go through all of the wiring with a tester this week and see if I can figure out where the issue is but thus far have had no luck. If anyone has had the same issue or if you have wiring diagrams from the wiper motor all the way through the GEM that would be appreciated. Wiper motor seems fine and it's not burning fuses so I'm not sure where the issue lies. The issue seems to be progressing as now my rear defroster does not work either but my rear wiper and washer work fine. Thanks again and I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent source for wiring diagrams.
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Maybe a bad wiper module? Just guessin'.

Hello My friend!

I´m just buy a Ford Explorer Limited, and here comes with the same problem as a gift...

Try to see the relay box under the hood, in my Explorer the problem was a defective relay... i change them and voi lá! Problem Solved

update

I appreciate the help so far but still no luck. It's actually really strange. The wipers seem to work fine when the outside temperature (not the engine temp) is higher. I've now replaced the relays, checked all the fuses, replaced the GEM and still no luck. Can anyone think of a reason the wipers would only work when the outside temperature is higher? Thanks in advance for the help.

Even though you seem to be getting some "diagnostics" from your "mechanics" that hopefully you haven't been paying for (or at least not the part "swap"), you likely have to "roll up your own sleeves" and do some measuring of the circuit to see what the electrical conditions are since it appears to be an electrical issue.... that way you are likely to find the problem and then you can address it directly. Check to see if there is voltage getting to the motor and there is a ground.... IF there isn't, then back track to see where it is stopping/not reaching (ie. which relay / wire).

IF you don't want to "roll up your sleeves", then get out your hair drier... :) you have already stated what makes them work (heat).... go around and blow heat on things and see which item(s) like it... then "Bob's your uncle"... :)

Back