Wiper Fluid Pump Problem

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
I was on the highway last night when the washer fluid stopped coming out. It did not work in the front or the back so I figured I was just out of fluid. I got the car home and found it was full of fluid.

I do not hear any pump noise when I press the washer button so I am assuming it is a fuse, but I do not see a pump fuse or relay anywhere on the fuse diagrams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I just ordered the pump, it was only 30 bucks. Hopefully that will be the fix.

UPDATE2: So I start up the car this afternoon and the washer pump is working fine. Maybe the washer fluid froze. I dunno.

I had the same problem with my 2009 a couple of weeks ago. It didn't work front or back for several days and then it started working again. I think some of the old fluid might have frozen in the pump. What it did to clear it was pull the hose off one of the lines under the hood and blew back into the pump. The air forced any fluid out of the pump and the it worked fine. We have been having some extreamly cold weather here lately so I make sure to use front and back washers at least once a day so the fluid doesn't sit too long in the pump.

I had the same problem with my 2009 a couple of weeks ago. It didn't work front or back for several days and then it started working again. I think some of the old fluid might have frozen in the pump. What it did to clear it was pull the hose off one of the lines under the hood and blew back into the pump. The air forced any fluid out of the pump and the it worked fine. We have been having some extreamly cold weather here lately so I make sure to use front and back washers at least once a day so the fluid doesn't sit too long in the pump.

Thanks for the reply. I will flush all of that old fluid out tomorrow, I work from home now so the car and the wipers just don't get the amount of usage they used to get so the fluid is pretty old. Also, I think I might start keeping a spray bottle in the back for emergencies. That was pretty scary, I had to depend on the tail lights of the guy in front of me to see for a few miles.

Back