• Register Today It's free!

Wiper problems

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So I've noticed, now winter more than ever, that my wipers suck ass. I spent 20-30 dollars on new blades that didnt do ****, because its the wiper arms that are the problem. Most wipers snap back down when you lift them up. and mine...just stay there so they dont sit flush on the window. is there anyway to fix this or am i better off buying new arms? my front and rear do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the joints at the hinges are probably corroded. Try some type of lubricant or anti-corrosion such as WD-40.

i tried wd40 and it just made the hinges like...gummy lol. maybe ill just try more

well if you can't get them to work just go to the junkyard you should be able to get a pair pretty cheap

Junkyards are littered with explorers from Cash4Clunkers still. That'ld be your best bang for your buck to get the job done. The WD-40 gummed up cause the corrosion/dirt/grim that is in the joint on your wiper arm needs to be cleaned out thoroughly before you lube it. And the spring that actually holds tension on the arm may just be weak... Like said before, it'ld be better to just go to the yard

Here is a slight turn in this topic... MY rear wiper stopped working, do you think its the motor. I have given up on it, but winter is coming and its not slowing down. ANyone know how complicated it is to get to the wiper motor?
-kug

Is your door adjar light on all the time?

no my light works normally as it should. no problems with that.
_kug

Well some have complained of the door adjar light being on at the same time the wiper stopped working and the reason it stopped was because it was the switch for the glass that was bad keeping the wiper from turning on. If the relay and fuse is good then its probably the motor.

Do you know how easy it is, or whats entailed in replacing the motor? Im assuming its a lot of labor? I had the swtiches you are talking about replaced before, im pretty sure there are 2-4 switches in the back hatch.

-Kug

new arms are $30 from ford for the front pair, and that's cheap insurance for the safety they provide

I have also shortened the spring on one of mine because I had an issue in winter at 75mph

the rear motor is easy, remove the plastic from the inside of the door, remove the arm, remove whatever bolts \ screws hold it un clip the wires, then replace

Whats the easiest way to remove the arms on the front pair of wipers? I have looked havent seen an easy way to get the arms off yet? any pics or tips?
-Kug

thanks for the info on the rear

Its easy, there's a clip on the back side of the arm right by the driving shaft for the arm. Pull that clip out (it doesn't come all the way out), it just slids out from the locking position which holds the arm on. Once you have that slid out, then the arm should just pull off of the shaft.

Its easy, there's a clip on the back side of the arm right by the driving shaft for the arm. Pull that clip out (it doesn't come all the way out), it just slids out from the locking position which holds the arm on. Once you have that slid out, then the arm should just pull off of the shaft.

make sure to flip the arm up first it will make it easier. pull that clip with one and and lift with the other, super easy.

actually they're designed to not come off unless they're flipped up

and the tab can be ripped out, but it's better if you dont (saying you want to reuse them)

Back