wire harness's and related egr problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wire harness's and related egr problems

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
this is for all explorers with egr problems .........

first of all the problems with egr... my explorer must be psychic ( it's like my explorer hears somehow that others on the forum are haveing egr problems "dpfe" and goes " ok time to f'up " lol ) .

just wanted to share what i found out today .yesturday i was going over the engine compartment and before when i replaced the dpfe module i broke one of the tabs that holds it on to the part so i tie wrapped it in place ...when ever i was under the hood i would wiggle the dpfe harness to make sure it was connected good . had the truck off and when i went to leave and started ....right to 400 rpms .......not good ,so i went back the engine and wiggled the harness and sure enough i got a hic'up/ sputter !!

the bottom wire on the dpfe harness was doing a 90' bend because of the way the truck's body harness was installed from the factory with the iac connected ...it makes the dpfe harness really strained when connected .so what does this say , the way the truck was wired and over years of replaceing parts and disconnecting their harness's and re-connecting will produce a weak point on the wire just right before the wire goes into the plastic ( may just be mine that this happened to but i dought it by looking at how the whole wireing system was done ).

so i followed 410Fortune's advice ( btw congrats on the baby :) ) and went and got more harness's for all the systems on the engine ( iac,tps,dpfe,maf).
after trimming back the wires and tinning them with solder and the wire from the engine harness i used wire connectors ( red ) and re-did my harness's to newish un-broken ones .

see after i had my egr problems i still had a on/off pulse from the engine ( like the power would be just slightly be on and off ) and plus it made the transmission down shift much later when comeing to a complete stop .but it would do it about 70% of the time but times it did not .

so after the new harness's were installed ...took it for a test drive and to my surprise no more pulse !!! :D had twice the pic-up performance wise and drove like a freaking dream .

before with the tie wraps :
DSCN1283rs.jpg

after the harness were on with shrink wrap to keep water out,and you can't see in the pic the new postion of the wire ( dpfe ) as it enters the plasic ..no 90' degree angles :
DSCN1363.jpg

well sorry for the long post but if anyone that has egr problems and or electrical gremlem's the wire harness has got to be looked at and to make sure that no intermitent shorts are present CAUSE IT CAN HAPPEN ;)

btw: yes the ford sticker on the throttle body does add 5 extra horse power ! :p:...it's a proven fact . . . . .

Back