Wiring Connector for Center Console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Connector for Center Console

edougawa

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
I'm trying to install a center console to my 2013 PIU but couldn't find the correct part number for the main harness of the console.
The connector is labeled C237 in the wiring diagram with harness number 14401 (or CB5Z-14401 as an assembly). I'm trying to get the female connector itself instead of getting the whole wiring assembly (which will costs more than the console itself).
If anyone knows the part number and how to get one please let me know. Thanks.

------------ Updated 11/03/2018 ------------------------
194372901.jpg

#1 is the harness I'm talking about. I'm looking for the counter part of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that the connector is part of the wiring harness and therefore may not have a separate part number. You can try contacting the dealer's parts department for a start if you don't get an answer here. Perhaps an auto parts recycler may have the entire harness at a lower cost. Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Peter

I'm guessing that the connector is part of the wiring harness and therefore may not have a separate part number. You can try contacting the dealer's parts department for a start if you don't get an answer here. Perhaps an auto parts recycler may have the entire harness at a lower cost. Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Peter

Thanks.
I got a pic but don't know how to upload it to the forum.
I have also contacted the dealership and see if they can get me an answer, but the one in my area is usually not very helpful from my experience.

194372901.jpg

Harness #1 is the one I'm talking about. 59-Pin. I checked the motorcraft catalog but couldn't find anything similar.

It's the same style plug as the one for the seats. But different pin sizes. You can't buy just the male or female plug from the dealer. ( ask me how i know ) you can either cut one out from a yard and de-pin it. But then you can't get new pins from the dealer ( ask me how i know ). Or you can de-pin it and make your own plug with the wires you need using a weather-pak style plug and be done.

It's the same style plug as the one for the seats. But different pin sizes. You can't buy just the male or female plug from the dealer. ( ask me how i know ) you can either cut one out from a yard and de-pin it. But then you can't get new pins from the dealer ( ask me how i know ). Or you can de-pin it and make your own plug with the wires you need using a weather-pak style plug and be done.

Thanks. I'll check the junk yard around and see if I can get one. If not I probably just de-pin it and get another connector.

Thanks. I'll check the junk yard around and see if I can get one. If not I probably just de-pin it and get another connector.

Problem with that is you can't get new pins. You also can't reuse the original pins so your going to be in the same position your are now...

Problem with that is you can't get new pins. You also can't reuse the original pins so your going to be in the same position your are now...

Guess I will have to check that. So far I'm trying to make the job as reversible as possible.
But in the worst scenario I will just crop all the wires and re-wire them to a new connector (probably a 24-pin with pig-tail, I don't have AUX AC and SYNC so more than half of the original pins are useless).

Guess I will have to check that. So far I'm trying to make the job as reversible as possible.
But in the worst scenario I will just crop all the wires and re-wire them to a new connector (probably a 24-pin with pig-tail, I don't have AUX AC and SYNC so more than half of the original pins are useless).

How many wires are you using? When I did mine I think I only used like 4. I did keep the column shifter and the power point wired I jump off the ones in the dash. I think the only ones I used had to deal with the lights in the compartments. I don't have the AUX OR SYNC either.

When I installed my center console, the only wiring I had was for the USB/Aux input/12V on the small panel in the front bin and the rear 12V under the armrest. For the USB/Aux input/12V in the front bin, that was a plug and play swap. For the rear 12V under the armrest, I had to solder in some wire to extend the existing connector. The PIU center consoles I have don't even have the connector/wiring in your picture.

Are you installing a retail console with lighting or other features that you are trying to implement or are you converting to a console shifter from retail explorer?

How many wires are you using? When I did mine I think I only used like 4. I didn't keep the column shifter and the power point wired I jump off the ones in the dash. I think the only ones I used had to deal with the lights in the compartments. I don't have the AUX OR SYNC either.

I didn't make an exact count yet. I will need to wire 2 power points (inside the box and 2nd row), keeping the illuminations, re-wiring the audio aux-in to another application (a radio scanner, will be wired to the center speaker on the dash, which I don't have the parts in hands yet), and a 6-switches relay box (don't know what will be wired to the box yet, but installed it to fulfill the empty space after removing the whole floor shift assembly).

So probably around 20-pins

When I installed my center console, the only wiring I had was for the USB/Aux input/12V on the small panel in the front bin and the rear 12V under the armrest. For the USB/Aux input/12V in the front bin, that was a plug and play swap. For the rear 12V under the armrest, I had to solder in some wire to extend the existing connector. The PIU center consoles I have don't even have the connector/wiring in your picture.

Are you installing a retail console with lighting or other features that you are trying to implement or are you converting to a console shifter from retail explorer?

Yea, this is the retail version center console. The dealer installed it when I get the car, but figured out later that he didn't do any wiring at all.

You'll have to go to a junk yard or find someone parting one that plug is part of the dash harness. I might have one in the shop I'll have to look I've done 2 console swaps one in my personal ecoBoost piu. Benefits of parting vehicles out

You'll have to go to a junk yard or find someone parting one that plug is part of the dash harness. I might have one in the shop I'll have to look I've done 2 console swaps one in my personal ecoBoost piu. Benefits of parting vehicles out

I’ve checked a few junk yard around me but no luck so far. Any chance you have an extra, please let me know. Thanks.

Anyone have the wire PIN numbers and what they are for the center console shown above?
It has an SD card reader in it. Any use for that?

Anyone have the wire PIN numbers and what they are for the center console shown above?
Hi Jason. That is used for the navigation system. The SD card contains the map info. I believe it can also be used to read cards with other info on them as well. I'm sure someone will comment on the last part.

Peter

Here's pin out for the connector (for 2013, wire gauges and pin out differs for different model years, so I tested the pins out with a multi-meter before actually wiring them)

I finally got the connector from a scrap yard in Asia (one of my friend found it and shipped it to me), and de-pinned everything and re-do all the wires (that's headache). So far I got both power points, the interior lighting and AUX audio jack works (with tons of noise as shielding wire missing, but still usable).

As for the USB port and SD card readers, I tried to reuse them for other purposes (as I don't have sync on board and swapped to after-market stereo), but so far no luck, found no way to get the module works with non-sync system.

-14_MiglP0Dp20GRUhUr0g7qu3I_q8OpIvtWGBJ3XiU8GIXadtDCiLeIMk8x7yWseJLPuDXuWvHN1d39MSe2fZ2w31fU6D-VU6Fpv4KP7lRbTQnD6PivOmMKaz6GJMzHDz6jjM1C4n4riD7txubMWHIsYxenvuKyn1-hVPrhZdksLWVvS7xbpk-QFPjHzF65dGnutD1NfVP-lYAzCWsAt1vx4TI0lMFtiSOPr72ub29lc7BngxSOGYyD4cZZ9ca58lGCV74cF3mewMMYz3q3pbUcKDgS8dQ9XMxbZU4dZR5AcmkbRhuL6BD13EY63t73yWeObw0R_Oy07bC7IxBJBCZVFPFreq8JoOjj55ykuv4D3RsB4SWx99uJhMuLDsYAswhIRS7zafgWP7saLs0ycJqhvYCQTKf4zmWyZA8Cw4ad6xHx86fVvhlrozr_TFtGYuRMZozzFKXWCLcfIBr7zkZQqhfqUQ62uDzu2gVTex2JNsz80R3aMy0ooMlJcH0E_Wgu3tkcu7XJO01qlKeKdi8bUHM6dNkXrLdPIruZ2s36K5vxELHo7eb5HbqIWEMtatwbpWwi1QUc6lmBW9Kw_9zbGvDuxzSGSGNX5759VdATO4pSrQemWQkewPlYsHO22F7n7yX2vsG09W6ZYgtFXzTDMBWOmYk=w1730-h877-no

DJ_PqAvkBS6YoabNNkppRa-lAf9a9AlRHXYU1UhJ-p7HnbrNC6Ea6auFZoaZc5CwuzqJYQX5F8vNsifaMdE7vt9KNd-UAiN0D17gBy7WYjJx4pTmgEp6AZGeCZtzHLFHSkZc662g2KDcRmnn9LL146W89g0PPqr4WGNfCBr6k5aPBp3Pq1Kt6dhHNUgGFSeYRQ-mdEayK5mKG-PWuwqgyWRmepGLWyy9RE7N6p4QZeR_zRkKgnRFBNA_AYqz4ivFLcRhm-yrrQBZue7G87SoXwz1n8mq50iTDujr1I1rXdA4EfMdUac3o5WqqLMBY_1-2_V6L4nEMLIUzJPyDxMO1Yyy0AEeW-gqH3jMQ1YH0lePBVOneVajrE3zr8R-4j3DDRMFhOyP9DGmUi_slhqbBYvzEzVrzNhXE73rhdPNptUYmN-NqotQ_z__zML7XtM-9pQTqYPc7PwaXfZMCGQuYg4nCLF9KXNKRzUh0I3MMau-K5y9bFbG-_okW96FuhK6LXL8HjgELWg0WK35QCzHOB3zoUbAMCwSGCK_aYuqVw75WOslXvODjPgOGPyHRkws6Y99GuD0He-c9Afa_pFrp0ad7lcGJIr0Bld5kMrzc8vLOesbbwo0ig0vfp2_4jCR63DQ-Zeh8Ew0V5bxXDlAx-4UBHiyfMw=w361-h917-no

No diagrams are showing above.

Peter

Good to go now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a legend of wires you used to get the power points, lighting and AUX to work?

Back