Wiring questions for electric fan install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring questions for electric fan install

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hey guys,

Finally getting around to installing my flex a lite black magic 180 electric fan. I've studied the other threads by those of you who have also installed the unit, as well as my Haynes manual and the instructions included with the unit, and I'm left with a few wiring questions, as I am admittedly terrible at interpreting wiring diagrams.

Where is the wire to tap into the a/c compressor, and what colour is it? What colour wire do I tap into underneath the battery power distribution box? If you have any pictures that highlight the appropriate wires and their corresponding location it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the ac wire i havent figured out yet, but thats because my system needs to be refilled. when i do that i will be looking for it. as for the the other wire your talking about i am not sure if you mean constant or ignition. constant i went right to the battery. ignition i found a wire on the cruise control harness. i have the controller mounted in behind where the air box would be (mines not there anymore mind you)

It's at the connector on the AC compressor. There's only 2 wires, one is black(ground) and on my 99 the other is grey/white(+12v). The +12v feed is the one you want. Like vroomzoomboom I went directly to the battery for my controller feed.

image_1.jpg

Have I identified the proper connector? One wire appears to be red with a thin yellow stripe, the other black with grey stripe.

I think so, but I'll check when I get home and let you know for sure. :)

Any tips on loosening the fan clutch nut? I have the removal tool attached to a long breaker bar, and the appropriate 36mm fan clutch wrench connected to another snipe. All I've succeeded in doing is opening up the clutch wrench to the point that it's now useless. Can't even determine which way it's supposed to spin for removal. Might be paying someone to do this job

im sure im going to get bashed for saying this, but the way i have gotten them off is to put the wrench handle pointing at 12 o'clock, then with a 3lb hammer, hitting the wrench handle at about 2 o'clock going downward. it may take a few good wacks. when you are facing the motor, the fan will spin off counter clockwise

My fan shroud reads "RH thread on fan clutch". That should mean I apply clockwise torque when facing the engine to the nut to remove it correct?

nope, you have to spin it counter clockwise to remove it if your facing the fan

Got it in. Thanks for the tips everyone.

I first had to mount the 2 wide right angled brackets to the fan like so:
image_2.jpg

I passed the fan wires through the additional unused mounting holes on the driver's side of the new fan shroud. The connections were made once the controller was in place, and wires were loomed together later.
image_3.jpg

I located the fan with the provided long L shaped brackets, which had to be trimmed to fit and mounted to the front lip of the radiator. New holes had to be drilled to locate it properly so that the bracketry did not interfere with my K&N intake tube.
image_4.jpg

I then commenced making the wiring connections, which I am admittedly terrible at. I feel better about wiring after this install though. Make sure all the crimped connections are tight and give a little tug just to test them. I used electrical tape at each crimp end to prevent corrosion. Heat shrink tubing may also be used. I failed to tap into the a/c compressor properly, I will have to go back and redo that connection but at least at the moment the fan is in place and kicks on at about 184F engine coolant temperature. This was determined with my super chips device by using its engine parameter display function.

Initial impressions are that idle quality has noticeably improved, along with throttle response. High RPM acceleration and highway passing power have noticeably improved as well. I will have to wait to comment on highway mileage improvements until I evaluate its performance on my next road trip.

Back