Working with fiberglass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Working with fiberglass

I just wanted to know how hard it is to work with fiberglass. I want to make some custom interior pieces for my X, and I also want to be able to repair the x-spec airdam that I may get in the future. Anyone have experience with fiberglass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about making molds or sumply glassing over a surface?

I have a little bit, fixing a boat hull and making a "few" custom parts in the past. It's pretty straight forward.....follow the instructions on the package basically..................

Mainly I just want to know how to glass over a surface. When I can get realitivly good at that, I figure I can work my way up to molding things.

It's not too hard. We did some in College. (that sounds funny, giggle hehe)

Just wear gloves, long sleeves, and a mask or very well ventilated area.

We glassed in a reinforcement in my buddys boat transom as we were exceeding the HP rating, at the time then we glassed it all in. Definately weekender style. Needed sanding between cover coats.

I know that stuff makes me itch in the worst way.

Do you just mix the resin, spread it on, then lay the matting down? Someone enlighten me on the process...

Fiberglass to be honest is pretty hard...but anyone can work with it and do a good job...im only 17 and have made several sub boxes, amp racks, and custo speaker enclosures on door panels. The key is patience and making the right measurements, always pre-fit and double check every measurement before applying any glass...an dont be mad if it doesnt turn out the way you want, add some bondo and/ or do some sanding. Good luck and have fun with it

Originally posted by Hartman
Do you just mix the resin, spread it on, then lay the matting down? Someone enlighten me on the process...

yep, you have pretty much got it. If you have some sort of mold, you will want to wax it really well. Then just mix up the resin/hardner, and brush or roll it onto the surface. Then put the matting down, and add more resin/hardner over the top of that. Good Luck! Bondo is your friend!

Back