Adding onto fiberglass airdam, questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding onto fiberglass airdam, questions

I have an Honest Charley fiberglass airdam, and I love it. Only thing I don't like about it is that it looks weird when you look at it from the side. The edge of it slants at an angle, instead of extending straight down and following the lines of the wheel well. Here's a pic of it currently, excuse the dirt:

Dead Link Removed

Here's what I want to do:

Dead Link Removed

I want to extend the edge of the airdam so it looks better from the side. Now, I need to know the best method to go about doing this. Since the airdam is thick, I'm assuming I'll have to layer the fiberglass matting. So which is the best way to layer the matting? After you put the resin on the first layer of matting, do you put another piece on top of that, and so on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont see any way of doing it without it eventually cracking were the end of the 'dam and the new glass will meet. give me some time to think on it, and ill get back to you.

others who know bodywork much better than i (MONMIX, Perry) may give you some better suggestions.

Firberglass is no fun, and a total PITA. I hate that stuff.

Really not a nice way to go about achieving your desired results.

It wouldn't work if I sort of overlap the fiberglass matting over the existing fiberglass? Sort of like weaving it on there?

Ask about some Vette body shops in your area and go there and ask them. They should be able to let you know if so & how much $.
My guess is $200. w/paint.

does the explorer express air dam fit that same way? or does it fit more flush?

I was hoping this was something I could do myself. Seemed simple in concept, or so I thought...

ive given it some thought, and i have come up with nothing. problem is, you have nothing there to build onto. someone with ALOT of 'glass experience could do it, but they would more than likely charge you an arm and a leg. but, dont let me discourage you.

Ive done some fiberglassing and may can help you out. How thick is the part you want to extend? If its only like 1/4 or less you can just build up the glass. On doing boat repairs they say its best to cut back over the good part to form a point at the end. if that makes no sence picture a pincil tip looking cut but on a flat piece of wood. This beveled area will give the extention the strength it would need. from the bevel just work up with larger pieces until you reach the desired thickness I will have to give you some warning though this is going to be allot of work for that little extention. you may find it easier to make a half mold for the outside and glass into that then finishing would be allot easier. In car audio fiberglassing allot of people use tape like freezer tape and cover the interior parts so the glass wont stick to them. you could do the same thing with a piece of wood you cut or a piece of foam. Some foams will melt with epoxy and some wont. Im not sure which ones you could use and be good. just do some research on mold making and you will find a source for the foam that wont melt. thease people should have some foam and other things you can use. fiber glast hope this helped post agin if you have questions. Major

Back