Worried about tranny.... Please help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worried about tranny.... Please help.

RakeYoung

Reaction score
City, State
New York City
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Ok first off, thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my story, back in january in an attempt tio show off, I drove over a pile of snow, and broke one of my tranny lines, and my mechanic just cut out the broken piece and put in a hose, well I wasn't there and now im concerned with.what type of fluid he.used to.refill the tranny, so now when I accelarate from a complete stop, I feel as if it takes a while for the x to build up speed, in other words I have to accelarate to 2000 rpms before I start moving, but once I build up speed it drives good the tranny downshifts and upshits normal, my reason for concern now is that I only doing about 10 mpg or less, and I think that maybe it has to do with the tranny fluid, I sell parts and I know that some cars with the wrong type of fluid dont even move in any gear. And alsothe way I lost the tranny fluid, did it have to be pumped back in, cause im pretty sure the mechanic just used a funnel, the way it feels when I accelarate is very similar to how the car felt as I started,to lose the tranny fluid, in other words, I had to accelarate alot for the truck to atleast get me home, I was just around the block when I realized I had lost most of my trannyfluid.

Now i'm curious to know if the mpg is related to the tranny, or if the sluggishniss is common on the exploders, should I take it to a shop and have them do a tranny service? Like pump in some mercon V or am I just crazy and leave it alone? I'm taking a 1400 mile round trip soon to NC and I dont want to destroy my X ive grown very fond of it. And if everything looks good in NC I might be moving there so I would be pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer from uhaul (i'm using a pathfinder to,rent it) so please help a fellow explorer enthusiast.

I would have check the forums first, but I didnt know where to start.

Thanks again in advance.

Have you checked the level of the fluid?
Have you asked the mechanic if he used Merc V?

The story with my mechanic is a long one, but basically he used to do all the work to my truck, and one day I needed some work doneon alift and had.it done somewhere else, well.lets.just say.he.didnt.take it so well, he barely charged me anything so now.he.disowned me and.he isnt taking my calls.

Back