Would junkyard seats fit my explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would junkyard seats fit my explorer?

97explorerkid

Reaction score
City, State
Ojai CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer EddieBauer V8
Hi so I'm trying to replace the seats in my '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer and I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to check out a '00 explorer sport with cloth seats. Mine came with the leather bauer ed. seats with the whole power seat thing. I'm personally not concerned at all about having the seats move with the other misc. all I want to know is if the bolt pattern will match. I would also like to take the back bench too. Will the bolt pattern be compatible?

UPDATE: Went to the junkyard today and purchased two front bucket seats and they fit perfectly, although the back bench didn’t fit my measurements. For anyone who encounters anything like what I just did, now you know. It seems all the 2nd gen front seats will fit the bolt pattern universally. Although the back bench bolt pattern is a bit different or at least in the sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They'll bolt right in. If you want to keep the power feature, you should be able to take the "new" seats off the track and bolt them onto your current tracks.

I would also like to take the back bench too
I'm guessing those would be different....not sure if prior reply caught this part of your post....see if someone else chimes in on those...

I'm going to go ahead and say no, the rear seats will not fit unless you're willing to drill new holes for the bolts. IIRC the Sport has 50/50 buckets (my Sport is a '99, different generation, but has 50/50 buckets) and the 4-doors have a 40/60 split bench (wide side is on the right). The Sport's folding linkage is symmetrical and the 4-door's linkage is asymmetrical. The Sport's seats will physically fit into the 4-door, but the linkage will not connect without modification.

You said "back bench" so if the Sport in question indeed has a bench, I'll go ahead and say it's not going to fit either. You could always take a tape measure and check though, I don't possess all knowledge on the topic.

Sorry, I did miss the question about the back seat.

@97explorerkid Nice! Did you get confirmation on the rear seats, or haven't messed with them yet?

Back