Would you replace these axle shafts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you replace these axle shafts?

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Would you replace these axle shafts? If not, what would you suggest as an alternative solution?

Passenger side:
3927205771_fd69457c40.jpg

Driver's side:
3927206907_1776799ef8.jpg

Background: An oil change/tire rotation that's snowballed.... It's my 98 Explorer Sport, 4x4, SOHC/Auto, 4.10 gears, 174,042 miles as of yesterday when I rolled it into the garage for the oil change. It had the gear lube changed around 100,000 miles (about 4 years ago). The gear lube that came out was nice and clean.... No gunk or debris, gears look great, axle seals were just weeping ever-so-slightly (not enough to run, just hold the dust). I pulled the axles to replace the e-brake hardware I mangled in the process of removing the rear discs. I replaced the brakes about three years ago without removing the axles and decided to make life a LOT easier this time... But I'm afraid I may have opened up a can o' worms on this one....

I haven't pulled the axle bearings yet either. That's coming tomorrow. Should I just see about getting new shafts for it? Junk yard? Pick-n-pull? The driver's side isn't too bad, but I'm afraid the passenger side won't last much longer. I can't feel the spalling on either shaft, but I can see it clear as day.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Just looking for a second opinions (and third, fourth, etc).... What would you do if it was yours?

Thanks, guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the plan is to keep the Explorer for the next year or two, I'd replace the bearing and probably reuse the shaft. If it hasnt made a "ridge" on the shaft yet, then there probably isnt a point where stress can concentrate and lead to a fracture. But if you're going to keep it for a long time, then maybe new shafts are the best solution.

That reminds me... I forgot to mention that it serves as my winter daily-driver now. 5 days a week, 70 miles a day after the weather gets too cold (or too perpetually rainy) to ride the motorcycle. I think it's going to have to get me through one more, maybe two more winters before she retires. I just priced out a pair of new shafts for it.... OUCH!! For less than what it costs for a pair of new shafts, I think I could get a whole axle from a local salvage yard!

If you want new shafts contact ericautopart, he was offering some yukon shafts at a pretty nice discount after James wrecked his sport.

Message sent. Thanks for the tip!

I looked online and it looks like most axle shafts are going to be between like $100 and $150 per side - new.

Cardone. That's a good name for their crap. Once you install their stuff you're car is done for.

Yeah, the price is outrageous....

I'm still not entirely sure I need them, but it's good to know in case I decide to replace them... I need to get a better look at them in the light as it was late last night by the time I got 'em out. (Fuggin' e-brakes!!) Should be able to get a better look at 'em when I get home this afternoon and pop the bearings and seals out too.

Does anyone know off-hand.... are the left and right sides the same part?

x2 - they are different lengths.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, thanks, guys. I was at work and hadn't had a chance to set them side by side yet to check for myself.

Any more thoughts on whether or not to re-use them? I haven't popped the bearings out yet, but it's on the list for this evening... From what I can see, there's nothing wrong with the bearings or outer race...

If your sure it's only going to be around for one or 2 more winters I would just replace the bearings and seals. If you were towing off roading or drag racing then I would consider replacing them while they're out. But as a dd your not exactly putting a lot of stress on them, especially in the winter. I don't think I've ever heard of one of these failing, other than in very extreme use for long periods of time.

I took a closer look at them in the daylight today... The passenger side is worse than I thought... I couldn't feel it last night, but my fingers were all greasy.... today, I can feel and see the pitting (looks like early spalling) on both shafts. The right side is obviously worse, but they're both doing it. Also, there is a pronounced groove where the seal rides, so I have no doubt that any attempt to replace the seal would be an effort in futility. It'll leak for sure. (Who would think rubber would leave a groove in steel, and still appear to be in good shape?!!?)

So, EricAutoPart, here I come!

Are they really that bad? Pics don't do it justice. How are the bearings? Do they turn freely? I keep looking at your pics and I'm not seeing what your seeing but I'm not a axle expert by any means.

Are they really that bad? Pics don't do it justice. How are the bearings? Do they turn freely? I keep looking at your pics and I'm not seeing what your seeing but I'm not a axle expert by any means.

The little white band around the polished portion of the shaft... It is pretty obvious in the first pic, but in the second, it appears as just a hint of speckles. The full-res images show it as pitting pretty clearly. They still turn free, and weren't making any noise, I just happened to discover it. For the $200 it's taking for new shafts and bearings, it's not worth wondering about. New parts will be here Tuesday. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back