wrench light and check engine soon light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wrench light and check engine soon light

c0rtney

Reaction score
City, State
northern interior, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer '04 xlt
I have a 2004 explorer 4.0L, and I just replaced my fuel filter, turned it on to make sure there were no leaks. Everything seemed fine... Also changed the serpentine belt, held it up to the old one and was a little smaller, but it fit anyway... When I was taking off the connecter to the mass air flow sensor, the inside clip broke off so now it won't clip into the mass air flow sensor anymore... tried to hold it together with electrical tape for now until the local parts store is open on monday, seems to be fine... Went to take it for a drive and now the wrench light and check engine light is on. Could it be one of these things? maybe I put the filter on backwards, if thats possible, or the part dude sold me the wrong one? could the serpentine belt be throwing this code because it is too small? or am I just stupid and need to do a better fix of my mafs... funny thing is my truck is running fine... Any thoughts would be very helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I would point my finger at the MAF sensor. Did the clip break off of the plug or the MAF sensor itself? There is no sensor for the serpentine belt. How much smaller was it? In my experience, those belts can stretch a small amount over their lifespan, so I wouldn't worry unless it was significantly smaller. Since you have a 2004, the MAF sensor is built into the top of the airbox, so you are going to have to replace the entire top (if that is what's broken), if it is the plug, you are going to have to replace that harness or solder a new plug onto the harness.

The clip broke off the plug so I think that I will have to solder a new plug because I don't think there is another way to replace it... And my serpentine belt was just a little smaller, maybe 1/2 an inch, it still fit on. Do you think it has something to do with my fuel filter? there was no leaks and I didn't put it in backwards, but maybe they sold me the wrong one? although it looked identical to the one I pulled out... Anyway all the post I've read say it's the throttle body or Throttle Position Sensor. Maybe it just so happened that it wanted to break down when I was doing all this other stuff? It was doing something weird for the last two weeks when I would floor it, it would rev really high and then kinda buck and then go... I though it was just the volant intake it put in causing this but now i'm no so sure...

Read the code(s) that tripped the CEL.

Otherwise, you're guessing.

ya fair enough, just wanting to get it good to go before work tomorrow... don't wanna drive it and wreck it anymore...

I brought my truck to the shop today and he found the solution to my wrench light problem... Figure this might help some one else out one day, being something that I wouldn't think of ever. So when I was working on my car I also had the key on listening to music, and when I changed the serpentine belt I had to take my air intake off. Instead of unscrewing the torx bolts to take out my mas, I just unplugged it. He told me to never have the key on and unplug any of the sensors because it messes with the computer and it thinks that they are missing or gives the computer the wrong readings so your truck runs like crap... My truck was running terrible, was really boggy.He told me the only way to get rid of the code is to bring it him so he can delete the code. Disconnecting the battery didn't work, just kept throwing the same code. But after I brought it to him and he deleted it it ran fine, like it did before and no light! Go figure... learn something new every day. Hope this helps someone...

I wonder if you had a ScanGauge if would you have been able to do that yourself?

I don't know I should have asked him... He has the professional scanner and lives down the street and doesn't charge me for stuff like that, so It's easier for me. But, It would be a good thing to look into. Be sweet if it did.

Back