2002 Sport Trac | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac

Post number 28 has been selected as best answered.

Last couple of days I've been playing around and searching the net to things to do.

Ordered the timing chain tensioners and the thermostat housing yesterday. Also ordered body mounts, LED bulbs for the interior and instrument panel (installed the rear dome light/map lights. The front the T5 connectors were burned and the ribbon tape for the lights was broken, the lights did work before but now they are not. I image the ribbon tape is falling out of connection path). Ordered new T5 connectors with bulbs at the moment and will replace with LEDs when I'm sure the T5s are the right size. I had some T10s and they're too small, go figure, what you have on hand never is right.

I did order a new radio and tailgate handle with camera as well.

I took apart the center instrument bezel that I bought not long ago...

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

I used a small drill bit, 1/8" I think to remove the melted plastic stud cap that hold the 4x4 and rear wiper indicators in place. 4 studs on each one.

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

The rear wiper will be changed out with the back window that belongs there. When I'm ready to set them back into place I'll drop hot plastic back on top of the studs.

Played with 2 colors, unfortunately each time the sun disappeared and cooled the plastic too fast and I got cracks in paint. :rolleyes: So, I will repaint it again. 1st color was aluminum... it was really shiny and I think it would be too bright against the dark gray interior.

IMG_2572.JPG

and then stainless steel which I think looks better, but I'll know more when I install it when I'm done.

IMG_2585.JPG

I also ordered some power mirrors with puddle lights and heated. This way I can hookup the defroster switch to them. The mirrors are from an 02 Explorer, so the base is different but I plan on playing with these to see if they can be mounted to the ST mirror bases.

Oil changes for both the expo and ST will be done this weekend, oh yeah. But maintenance has to be done. Should get trans services done too if time permits.

IMG_2591.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice! Running wires to the tailgate camera should be interesting. I have that project to tackle this summer also

Very nice! Running wires to the tailgate camera should be interesting. I have that project to tackle this summer also

I'm anxious to see what the wiring looks like for the camera. It looks like a typical video line, so I'm planning on buying a RCA female to female connector and using it at the bed to tailgate gap so I can still remove the tailgate if needed. I'm sure I have a couple of 6' yellow video cables from old VCRs. 🤔 My luck though I probably threw them out during last year's garage cleaning. 😞

Screenshot 2024-03-27 070531.png

I got the handle I mentioned above in post #57. I'll know more when it gets here but I like the look of clean installs (thou I'm far from making them, lol) and try to think a head of what-ifs. What if I have to remove the bed, what would have to do to remove it with this installed.

As far as going through the tailgate, that will interesting.

So looking at the connection on the t/gate handle, it has a 4 pin video connection. I ordered a 5ft cable for inside the tailgate.

YQMAJIM 4Pin Backup Camera Extension Cable,(5Ft 4P) Pure Copper Thicker Shield DashCam Rear View Camera Extension Cord,Mirror

I will use this inside the tailgate and use zip tie pads to secure it because I have these lying around. They are self-adhesive but I'm sure the tape won't adhere well to the inside of the tailgate so some super glue or epoxy should do the trick.

1711820266105.png

Again, this is so I can still remove the tailgate if the need arises. As for the hole in the bottom of the tailgate and going into the bed a 1/2" or 5/8" blanking grommets should do the trick to seal the tailgate and let the cable come through.

1711820756849.png

Still waiting on a couple of parts to come in. So, I changed the oil this weekend, first one since I bought it. Dealer said they changed it, the oil was pretty black and flowy. 125k on the clock, I'll change it again in 1000 miles just too help clean the case. Anyway, started the ST up to check for leaks and low and behold, I start hearing a bearing noise. It got quite loud and long screwdriver test told me it was the alternator. Shut the truck off for a minute then started it back up to move it to its parking spot and the bearing noise was gone. Go figure. lol :rolleyes: Ordered new alt, it will be hear in a couple of days.

Received a few more pieces.

2 USB port adapter for the charger and connection to radio for phone. I don't like the look of plugs just hanging around.
GOBGOD USB 3.0 Car Flush Mount Cable, Double Ports USB Dash Mount Adapter Male to Female for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel 1ft

Some backup lights to mount in the bumper or tailgate.

Niking Auto Flush Mount LED Pods, 2Pcs 7 Inch LED Light Bar 96W Off Road Flush Mount LED Lights Spot Flood Combo Driving Ligh

I'll be wiring them with the reverse lights but also have the option as work lights.

Attachments

• Backup_and_ACC_light_wiring_diagrams.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 16

I spend way too much time on YouTube, and a day or 2 ago I noticed a video about wiring a tailgate mounted camera. I didn't watch it or copy the link. Sorry.

Had a needed repair 2 weeks ago that I completed today. Alternator bearing took a dive after I washed the truck. Ordered the parts from Rockauto and waited for them to arrive. Alt, tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. Due to the age I felt it easier to replace them all. Good choice as the idler bearing was rough as well and the belt was cracking. I would have done this as soon as the parts came in but work sent me overseas for the week. I also replaced the gas cap leash and washed the truck again since pollen loves the fall this time of year.

Tools - 1/4" socket for 3 screws on cover. Flat tip screwdriver or 5/16" socket for intake tube from MAF to t-body. 10mm socket for power cable to top of alt and flat tip to release clip for other alt wires, 13mm for 3 alt bolts. 13mm for tensioner bolt. 15mm for idler bolt. 3/8" breaker bar to release tension on tensioner to remove belt.

Took a video of the alt spinning but background noise was louder than the bearing. Otherwise, the alt was charging fine but the days were numbered.

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

To replace the plastic leash (or whatever it's called) I used 2 flat tip screwdrivers and pried them around the ring. It popped on the gas cap pretty easily. The ring/gas cap was from an Escape.

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

Sorry no pics of the clean truck. Started sprinkling and wanted to get the alt replaced so I didn't have to take wife's car to work tomorrow. The hood and windshield is all pollen. Top of ST was yellow.

I spend way too much time on YouTube, and a day or 2 ago I noticed a video about wiring a tailgate mounted camera. I didn't watch it or copy the link. Sorry.
Found it! Hope this helps!

Back