• Register Today It's free!

Wrong fluid in the tranny???

4LB2

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco II
Ok so my girlfriend bought a 94 explorer about 2 weeks ago. Just yesterday I got around to really checking it out (we've both been crazy busy the past couple of weeks...). Well I check the coolent, oil and brake fluid and all is well. Then as I pull up the tranny dip stick I become confused and have to take a second look that I wasn't checking the oil again cuz that's what it looked like!!! I'm thinking the previous owner accidently put oil in it or something becouse I'm about 90% sure it is oil in there.
I'm having the tranny flushed on Monday but what kind of problems do you think that could have coused?
At this point in time it's shifting with out hesitation and their is no slipping.
-James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's likely not oil. It's much more likely that the tranny fluid is just old and nasty. Explorer trannies(v-6) aren't very stout and don't like to be abused. I'd add an tranny cooler and keep your eye on the fluid color. If it turns anything other than bright red, flush it.

I agree, sounds like the fluid has been in there for a long time. If you can take a sniff of it, tranny fluid smells different than other fluids, atleast I think. If it smells burnt then I'd def get it out of there ASAP. Flush, and filter change.

Believe me I know how problematic these trannies are. I had gone through two before replacing it a C5. The fluid has a metalic smell to it and smells nothing like tranny fluid.
Another thing though, I have heard many horror stories about their trannies starting to slip after being flushed. What do you guys think?
-James

I heard from an ex-trans builder that a trick they used to do with the Fords was to change the fluid in a problematic tranny, and it would kill them in a few weeks. This may be due to an already failing transmission, with old nasty fluid. When you put in the new fluid with all of its detergents it would clean all the grime and gunk buildup in the passages and sides of the case. This would probably clog the filter up in short order.

Back