WTB AWD Transfer Case BW 4404 for Explorer / Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WTB AWD Transfer Case BW 4404 for Explorer / Mountaineer

Sooonerfan51

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Looking for an AWD transer case in good working order for a 1997 Mountaineer/Explorer 5.0. It is a Borg Warner 4404. It has the 4 bolt hole front input. Please let me know what you have. Also shipping would be to Norman, OK 73071.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a complete trans/transfer case for a 5.0 mounty its from a 2000 model id sell trans transfer and torque converter for an explorer member id ask 400 plus the ride bill if your interested.

Headsup to the OP

If your 1997 has the speed sensor in the output of the transfer case, as most 97's do, you will need a 1997 transfer case.

The sensor has been eliminated in 1998-2001 transfer cases. The hole is also filled in. It requires a bit of work to retrofit. I believe the output shaft inside the case is different(no speed sensor drive ring)

Headsup to the OP

If your 1997 has the speed sensor in the output of the transfer case, as most 97's do, you will need a 1997 transfer case.

The sensor has been eliminated in 1998-2001 transfer cases. The hole is also filled in. It requires a bit of work to retrofit. I believe the output shaft inside the case is different(no speed sensor drive ring)

You are correct the speed sensor is in the transfer case on mine. Thank You!

I have one in good working order with the provision for a vss ( 97 model) $100 plus shipping

SVT

Great! Does it have the 4 bolt front input shaft? 96's had the 4 bolt and only the early 1997's. How many mile on it? Any known problems?

Thanks so much!

Back