WTF??? My odometer just quit! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WTF??? My odometer just quit!

mausc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I have a 96 4x2 Sport with the basic 4.0L. Its a relatively low mileage car that runs great. The other night I noticed the trip odometer stopped moving. I reset it to zero and made a mental note of the regular odo. 20 minutes later I realize neither was moving. The speedo works just fine and since it's mechanical it's quite puzzling. I'd really like to fix the problem but down even know ehere to start!

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Your VSS can be bad, or your instrument cluster may have had the center pod go bad. The actual center pod with the speedo & Odometer have mechanical parts, but it is an electrical signal that operates them on a 96.

Pulling the instrument cluster is pretty easy. Check and make sure the rectangle plugs are all secure on the back. Be careful with the gear select indicator cable if you have an AT.

Odometer

has a chintzy worm gear that turns the no. wheels.
Costs about 25 bucks. It's relatively easy to change out after you get the cluster out. Just take it easy and don't break any of the plastic parts.
I will try to find out where I bought the last one and post it tomorrowt
Two things kill the odometer; age and doing a reset while the car is in motion.
Don't try to reset the trip meter unless you are at a dead stop and in park. Ask me hou I know.

has a chintzy worm gear that turns the no. wheels.
Costs about 25 bucks. It's relatively easy to change out after you get the cluster out. Just take it easy and don't break any of the plastic parts.
I will try to find out where I bought the last one and post it tomorrowt
Two things kill the odometer; age and doing a reset while the car is in motion.
Don't try to reset the trip meter unless you are at a dead stop and in park. Ask me hou I know.

x2 on not reseting your trip meter while moving.. aaatts how I broke mine on the '96 as well.

If your odometer AND trip meter aren't working, but your speedo (mph/rpm guages etc etc) is working.. Almost 99% sure it's the worm gear on the odometer. It's popular for the worm gear to fail on the 5's, for instance mine stopped working at 155055 miles, a Ford tech was telling me about that when I went to get a new one for mine. Something to do with the motor in the worm gear is at peak load midway through the counter... i dunno. enough jargen. I'd check your worm gear if you end up taking the cluster out..

For some reason, I read that the speedo was also not working...my bad.

Swapping a center cluster pod out is easier than messing with the worm gear, but your mileage will be different.

Back