WTH did I find in my oil pan?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WTH did I find in my oil pan??

Reaction score
City, State
Selkirk, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4wd
Can anyone tell me, what did I just find in my oil pan? 97 4.0l sohc with 328000kms

G5gapBVm.jpg

More images
http://imgur.com/a/6WVp8

Now for the back story.
A few months ago while driving my oil pressure plummeted, and I mean plummeted from good to none. Parked the truck, towed it to Canadian Tire, they did an oil flush and it seemed ok. I know the truck had previous been badly abused, so I wasn't really that surprised that it was full of sediment and ruined oil.

Fast forward a few months to last week, on the return trip of a 105km outing, nothing too taxing just general highway driving. About 80km from home, no oil pressure. Pulled over, sat for a minute, restart, oil pressure is good, start rolling and as soon as the rpm came up, no oil pressure.

Assuming I'd find a pancake of fouled oil in the oil pan, I had it towed home (thanks CAA), ran an oil detergent through her (since I had good pressure at and near idle), drained the oil, pulled the filter, and left it sit overnight in an attempt to get as much crap out as I could. Next day I pulled the lower pan and unsurprisingly it was a mess, nearly full of crap. What was surprising, is the two metal strips sitting in it.

I'm working on the assumption that the metal strips were getting pulled against the pickup, hence the no oil pressure, so that issue is solved. Now all that's left is, what the hell did I just find in my oil pan??

tensioner leaf

Since you have 4WD that could be a leaf out of a failed balance shaft chain tensioner or the crankshaft to jackshaft chain tensioner. If you check the oil pump pickup screen you may find more particles.
BlncShft.jpg

Tensioners.jpg

SOHCvalvetrain.JPG

Back