YeEeeeeeHaaaaAaww!!! First Offroad ride with my truck!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

YeEeeeeeHaaaaAaww!!! First Offroad ride with my truck!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice trucks, :thumbsup:where is that trail located? I'm in Quebec city and looking for that kinda trail around here to try out my limited.

Just wondering as well..isnt the stock size 16 x 7...why did you go with 16 x 8?

Does that make a difference in the tire size? And if I go with 255's (dont want any rubbing)...what other "numers should i get"...255/?/16

Just wondering as well..isnt the stock size 16 x 7...why did you go with 16 x 8?

Does that make a difference in the tire size? And if I go with 255's (dont want any rubbing)...what other "numers should i get"...255/?/16

and if I go down to 15" rims..will i encounter a major problem? What is the max tire size I can get with 15" rims?

Nice trucks, :thumbsup:where is that trail located? I'm in Quebec city and looking for that kinda trail around here to try out my limited.

Hey salut! Moi je suis à Gatineau et la trail est tout près de chez moi... dans le coin du boulevard Lorrain.

Hey i'm from Gatineau and the trail I went to is near my place on Lorrain blvd.

Yes, the stock rim size is 16x7 but when I went to buy my wheels, the guy said that if I wanted to go offroad, I should get the 16x8 for a larger base for the tires. It doesn't make a difference in the tire size except the way it will sit on the rims... wider rims, less inclination in the sidewall of the tire(depending on the specs of the tire). The second number you are looking for is only the ratio between the rims and the sidewall size. it will change the total diameter of you wheel... I've got 32 inches of tire on mine and it rubs a bit... I reccomend you go with 30-31 inches if you dont want any rubbing... but keep in mind that I have a 1/4 inches spacer and it reduce the space between the tire and the body

and if I go down to 15" rims..will i encounter a major problem? What is the max tire size I can get with 15" rims?

I'm not sure of the biggest size you can go if using the 15'' rims but everywhere I went to look for rims prices they told me that the 15'' rims wouldnt fit my vehicule for some reason.... probably because you'll have a to small structure compared to the tires and it would damage your wheel assembly

Yes, the stock rim size is 16x7 but when I went to buy my wheels, the guy said that if I wanted to go offroad, I should get the 16x8 for a larger base for the tires. It doesn't make a difference in the tire size except the way it will sit on the rims... wider rims, less inclination in the sidewall of the tire(depending on the specs of the tire). The second number you are looking for is only the ratio between the rims and the sidewall size. it will change the total diameter of you wheel... I've got 32 inches of tire on mine and it rubs a bit... I reccomend you go with 30-31 inches if you dont want any rubbing... but keep in mind that I have a 1/4 inches spacer and it reduce the space between the tire and the body

oo very interesting about the 15" rims too.

so if I got 16 x 7 and lets say 255/70/16 tires without spacers there wouldnt be any rubbing? Or should I get spacers just in case?

The spacers increase the radius when the outside of the wheel turns... being a bit larger it rubs a bit more with it... I putted them on for the look of the wheel on the truck because I didn't mind the little rubbing... if you go with 255/70/16 you should be ok... I looked for tire sizes on BF Goodrich

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/specs/mud-terrain-t-a-km2/3930.html

Look the 255/70/16... it says that you can mount the tire on a 6.5-8 inches rim and the total diameter of the tire is 30.3 inches.... there shouldn't be any rubbing...

Hope this helps!

The spacers increase the radius when the outside of the wheel turns... being a bit larger it rubs a bit more with it... I putted them on for the look of the wheel on the truck because I didn't mind the little rubbing... if you go with 255/70/16 you should be ok... I looked for tire sizes on BF Goodrich

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/specs/mud-terrain-t-a-km2/3930.html

Look the 255/70/16... it says that you can mount the tire on a 6.5-8 inches rim and the total diameter of the tire is 30.3 inches.... there shouldn't be any rubbing...

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that did help a lot.

One final question..when I order my cragars...I want 16 x 7...4" backspacing...and 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern?

Thanks, that did help a lot.

One final question..when I order my cragars...I want 16 x 7...4" backspacing...and 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern?

yep... just 16x7 and 5x4.5... this should be good.... if you look on www.jegs.com you will find them and they are divided by size and pattern... I think they are 61.99$

Nice looking Explorer!:chug:

yep... just 16x7 and 5x4.5... this should be good.... if you look on www.jegs.com you will find them and they are divided by size and pattern... I think they are 61.99$

I just kinda remembered this while cleaning my X....i had a...misfortune a while ago where I bent my control arm on the right front about an inch backwards. Right now there is about 2 inches of space between the right front and the back of hte wheel well..while there is like 3 inches between the left front and back of the wheel well. Is this gonna create major problems if I get bigger tires?

buckflash were did you go offroad I am in Montreal LOOKING FOR FELLOW x DRIVERS TO GO OFFROAD WITH.

I went in Gatineau.. close to where I live

I just kinda remembered this while cleaning my X....i had a...misfortune a while ago where I bent my control arm on the right front about an inch backwards. Right now there is about 2 inches of space between the right front and the back of hte wheel well..while there is like 3 inches between the left front and back of the wheel well. Is this gonna create major problems if I get bigger tires?

Mmmm it depends of what you mean by bigger... if you go extreme like 33 it will rub without a doubt... it does it with any EX that dont have any problems... If you go with anything smaller than 30 you should be good to go without any major problems... The dealer where I bought my rims and tire told me before I buy them that we could try them on and see if it rubs before I pay for them... otherwise he would have ordered smaller tires.... maybe you can find a place where they do that also...

Mmmm it depends of what you mean by bigger... if you go extreme like 33 it will rub without a doubt... it does it with any EX that dont have any problems... If you go with anything smaller than 30 you should be good to go without any major problems... The dealer where I bought my rims and tire told me before I buy them that we could try them on and see if it rubs before I pay for them... otherwise he would have ordered smaller tires.... maybe you can find a place where they do that also...

So would I be able to still go to 255/70/16? I have the 235's now...I guess maybe Ill try my Ram's 265's on and see how much they rub..?

Buckflash you get your lift yet?I need to come up to Gatineau is that right off the 50.

No, not yet... I should have some news this week, I gotta go get it in rouyn-noranda next week to get it.... Yes it's right off the 50 after buckingham and the trail I went to is just before an exit on this highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So would I be able to still go to 255/70/16? I have the 235's now...I guess maybe Ill try my Ram's 265's on and see how much they rub..?

The 255/70/16 is a 30.3 in. tire, you shouldn't have any troubles with this but if you try the 265 of your ram and it rubs a bit like me, you'll be sure it will be alright with the 255.

Back