Yet another PTU bites the dust! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another PTU bites the dust!

Last Sunday, our wife was driving our '16 Platinum and got the tell-tale gear oil stench. 61k miles.

She got it home and the stench was quite clearly coming from the vent tube at the top of the PTU. It smelled just like a differential that had been run completely dry.

I had already done the PTU vent hose extension, with the intent of changing the PTU fluid, but discovered I did not have any tools that could remove the drain plug. I left it alone until the next oil change.

Well, that didn't happen. I pumped 12+ oz. of Royal Purple 75w/140 down the extended vent hose. It seemed 'kind of' OK. The PTU and the output seals were dry - no leaks whatsoever! Wife drove it all this week, as I was out of town in my car on business.

However, the car didn't want to move well in reverse as of Thursday. It needed a bunch of throttle just to move, and last night it sounded like there were rocks in the transmission. Checked the PTU, and rear diff, both were completely dry outside. The transmission fluid was red, at the proper level, and did not smell of gear lube. Same for the oil level.

Limped it to the local Ford dealership and am waiting for the confirmation that the PTU is fried, expecting a $$$$ estimate later. If I get what I am expecting, I will be contacting Ford, as I am not a happy camper right now.

We had experienced the 58-68mph shudder for quite some time, and it got REALLY bad as this PTU began to fail. I suggest anyone who gets this shudder get their PTUs serviced ASAP as I believe this was a precursor symptom of the PTU on it's way out.

I'll update this thread as the story progresses.
I had a similar problem last year with the ptu brought it to Ford and it cost $3,500
A couple of months ago my tranny went. No reverse and only 1st and 2nd worked. Had that fixed for another $4,500 this is my 3rd explorer I absolutely loved my 2004 Eddie Bauer besides the hub bearings. I’m never buying another explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem last year with the ptu brought it to Ford and it cost $3,500
A couple of months ago my tranny went. No reverse and only 1st and 2nd worked. Had that fixed for another $4,500 this is my 3rd explorer I absolutely loved my 2004 Eddie Bauer besides the hub bearings. I’m never buying another explorer
Sounds like you would have saved quite a bit of $$ by getting an ESP.

Peter

Sounds like you get a kickback from shilling ESPs.
Not at all. I'm just a believer in getting them if my lease is longer than the OEM warranty period. Many others have found it a good investment.
This member paid $1390 for 9 year, 100k warranty.

Peter

Peter is a well established and trusted member here.
@94Eddie : He clearly is, based on his post count. However, making two separate posts on this thread alone to promote an ESP raises an eyebrow of suspicion towards a personal motive. Especially when those posts were directed towards members who had already had a mechanical failure and an ESP would have not been of any help. I am happy for those who have purchased an ESP for their Explorer and it came through. I've purchased other ESPs for other cars and have been let down by what is and is not covered, in addition to the shop's sudden disability to find/reproduce a problem when one is found by the owner.

</threadjack>

Back to the main story: Our Explorer was finished yesterday afternoon. Ford overnighted the PTU to the dealership, and it was installed yesterday. The dealership gave Ford Customer Care a revised (lower) estimate, and as a result, the % of the bill Ford Customer Care told us we were responsible for was also reduced. We paid a service invoice of $950 USD yesterday and had a 2016 Explorer with a brand new OEM PTU attached to it. That's basically only paying the labor of the job with a free PTU.

In other words, Ford covered 72% or almost $2400 of the original estimate. If you're in the same boat - a failed PTU on a car just barely out of warranty - it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

@94Eddie : He clearly is, based on his post count. However, making two separate posts on this thread alone to promote an ESP raises an eyebrow of suspicion towards a personal motive. Especially when those posts were directed towards members who had already had a mechanical failure and an ESP would have not been of any help. I am happy for those who have purchased an ESP for their Explorer and it came through. I've purchased other ESPs for other cars and have been let down by what is and is not covered, in addition to the shop's sudden disability to find/reproduce a problem when one is found by the owner.
Peter is a stand up guy. Your suspicions are way off. He is a big proponent of extended warranties and for good reasons. He makes the warranty comments to give people information and to help them know their options. The place he referenced has been used by many people here for a number of years with no complaints that I am aware of. To call out a well respected person's integrity that you don't know over two reasonable posts they made isn't justified, IMO.
</threadjack>

Back to the main story: Our Explorer was finished yesterday afternoon. Ford overnighted the PTU to the dealership, and it was installed yesterday. The dealership gave Ford Customer Care a revised (lower) estimate, and as a result, the % of the bill Ford Customer Care told us we were responsible for was also reduced. We paid a service invoice of $950 USD yesterday and had a 2016 Explorer with a brand new OEM PTU attached to it. That's basically only paying the labor of the job with a free PTU.

In other words, Ford covered 72% or almost $2400 of the original estimate. If you're in the same boat - a failed PTU on a car just barely out of warranty - it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
I am glad it worked out for you. I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule for most situations like this. I think the dealer lobbying for the customer makes a big difference in the outcome.

@94Eddie : He clearly is, based on his post count. However, making two separate posts on this thread alone to promote an ESP raises an eyebrow of suspicion towards a personal motive. Especially when those posts were directed towards members who had already had a mechanical failure and an ESP would have not been of any help. ................................
Point taken. Thank you.

Peter

Sounds like you get a kickback from shilling ESPs.
From posting about it on an anonymous internet forum? That’s a really goddamn stupid thing to say.

Sounds like you would have saved quite a bit of $$ by getting an ESP.

Peter
I have an ESP and for the $100 deductible my PTU was replaced. My ESP was only about $1K.

Back