Yomies D30 SAS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yomies D30 SAS

Hey everyone, finally decided to post my results here.

My setup includes:

1995 High Pinion D30
Spring hangers and drag link(3/4" heims) by CRL Customs
1979 Jeep Grand wagoneer stock leaf springs
1993 Explorer steering box
Rubicon Express RE1550 22" long brake lines (bolted right up to hard lines)
Rancho RS 5036 front shocks

SOA in the rear

there are more pics here
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/223222/2

223222_153_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris4x4Gill2 said:
I used some 4" lift springs for a YJ and I think they may be too soft.

Couldn't you just an an AAL onto the leaf stack to stiffen it up a bit? it would give u a bit of lift too (whcih you may or may not want).

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Bumpy McBump!

Hopefully some1 has done this - used an AAL on a YJ lift leaf spring to stiffen it up a bit?

IZwack said:
Hopefully some1 has done this - used an AAL on a YJ lift leaf spring to stiffen it up a bit?
Send a PM to "cdsl227." He has the RE YJ leafs that I had on my X, which were too soft. I had a shop make up an extra leaf (or maybe two) to put on them to stiffen them, but never had them back on the truck to see if it helped. He has them on his X now, and should be able to let you know how well they work.

oh ok thanks!

yomie, just remember it dont snow here in FL, thats the nice part

yomie do you have any pics of your front drive shaft, i didn't see any. I am in the middle of my SAS and was wondering how your front drive shaft comes off the t-case and runs to the front diff any help would be awsome, thanks

Robb said:
Send a PM to "cdsl227." He has the RE YJ leafs that I had on my X, which were too soft. I had a shop make up an extra leaf (or maybe two) to put on them to stiffen them, but never had them back on the truck to see if it helped. He has them on his X now, and should be able to let you know how well they work.

Those leafs worked out just fine... ;)

thanks for sending me that picture of the front shackle set-up, i would like to see more later, were can i buy new waggy leafs?

Bad ass :thumbsup: Which ones are you running? do you have your own website with detailed pictures of the install, i understand everything, most prob with the contact point when welding the mounts for the brackets to bolt in shackles front and rear, (in the front) Is there a company that sells custom mounts that a person could weld, or bolt on your the explorer under body?

Thanks for the help

I'm running the 5 -leaf, but i am converting to the 7-leaf this winter ( 1976-85 Cherokee, Wagoneer front (measures 22-1/2 x 24-1/2, 7 leaf, 2-1/2" wide))

My front spring hangers were made by Blue Torch Fab and I welded them to my frame, the shackle mounts were custom made

I don't have a detailed writeup on the swap, i only had 3 days to cut convert and swap everything so i didn't have time to take pictures and do a writeup. But i can tell you it took me about 55 hours in 3 days, hardly any sleep.

But i made sure that i had everything before i started

Yomie said:
... i can tell you it took me about 55 hours in 3 days, hardly any sleep....
wow! is that a record? maybe we should hold an SAS competition ;) ehehe

Yeah, im just looking to get everything i need, before we start, do you know the blue torch parts number for the front bracket you bought?

93liftedXLT said:
Yeah, im just looking to get everything i need, before we start, do you know the blue torch parts number for the front bracket you bought?
go to their website .. if your not satisfied with BTF, there are at least half a dozen other websites that offer such parts.. shop around... check out Tellico 4x4 or something.

im with on this one 93liftedXLT.. i too am planning my SAS for the spring... and ive spent hours on that website and emailing BTF and others. (btw their "tube insers" for radius arms - freaking expensive!! its $20.00 for one 1" tube insert :eek: )

Yeah i have been researching....lol, all i need to find is some custom made bracketry to weld to my frame, then bolt the shackles on, same with the front, Kinda tricky.

yeah i know this thread hasnt had a post in almost 2 years now...
but yomie i had a question. do you have any pictures of how you hung the shackles from the frame? or how did you do it? thanks!

I thought I would try to bring this thread back up!!

Type in shackle mount on ebay sometimes a few different ebay stores carry them.

Also no one ever answered the question on the distance between the spring mount and the shackle mount.

Sorry one more thing.... What does everyone think about mounting the shackle up front like on a j**p

Read Spas' SAS thread, there's a bit of discussion there about shackles up front and such.. also I think Section525's SAS thread goes over it.

DSC03387.jpg

And 5-leaf waggy with added leaf, which i have bent already(look at the 2nd longest leaf)
DSC03378.jpg

If i ahve time tomorrow i will measure the distance of mine with 47" long leafs

I'm having too many issues with the waggy's being to soft, i'm about to switch to Yota 47" springs

Back