• Register Today It's free!

Yukon Dura grip questions

desertland

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4X4
OK so I have some questions on posi traction in general. First my truck is a 2001 with 144000 miles on it. 2012 transmission ( rebuild ) and a pretty much new front end. Only performance goodies that I know of is a magnaflow and 2" exhaust. Oh, and for what it is worth it has air adjustable shocks in the back.

For the most part it is the daily driver. Some times it goes off road out in the desert, but other than an attack from a stealth gopher hole now and then you will never want to see a video of me 4x4 ing.. It would be pretty boring.

Even in winter time the 4x4 is seldom used. From advise of a local mechanic he recommended I start using it more often just so the electric actuators would get some use.

I'll admit I'll never make the cover of 4x4 magazine. That being said I have from time to time started to test me, and my truck a little more often.

One event that would hardly be a big plunge into winter off roading was just a week ago up in the snowy hill country. I had to pull off the highway onto a non maintained forest service road. Just enough to get my rear off the road.

Circumstances being what they were i had to pull straight in and push the front end about 4' into about a foot deep snow berm. Yes, I used 4x4 high to work myself in. Pulling back and pushing forward again kinda packing down the trail.

An hour or so later it was time to go home. I put it in 4x4 low to slowly creep back out on the highway. Sure enough one front wheel would spin. A little shoveling and some tree branch traction and then I would find one wheel in the rear would spin as well as the front. More shoveling and two helpers pushing and the Sport Trac backs out from being stuck on near level ground.

Now i will admit that the tires ( sport king A/T ) are in need of replacement with about 1/8" of tread depth left. That no doubt did not help things.

Anyhow, to the locker questions. I've had this: http://yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1933 recommended to me as a worthwhile improvement to overall traction.

At 144K miles, is putting this NEW posi traction on the rear going to stress out already well worn drive train parts?

And how quick would the unit engage? I think I understand the LASH issue. If things are wound up high from a spinning tire and then bang, the posi traction kicks all the power to the side with traction, this can leave twisted metal in places one does not want to see.

Thats it.. thanks in advance for any input.

Back