410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes I am aware of the built in fender buldge thingy and personally I dont think it will be bad at all, especially if some sort of flare is used in the back. :) Also I am not convinced I cannot use the Gen II metal fenders with some slight trimming to mate with the ST bumper and lights :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

doesnt the bulge line up with the trim line of the 2ng gens? If i remember correctly, they do line up.

yeah and the sport trac doesnt exactly have a buldge down the side, the doors look really similar, its just that the sport trac rear bed has a similar shaped and sized bludge, so it looks uniform. But it will not make any body lines that look out of place, especially to the un-trained eye.

I think it will look awesome! I am hoping I can pull it off...

im with you on this...you're the guinea pig here, if it looks good on yours...im doing mine ;)

slravene said:
im with you on this...you're the guinea pig here, if it looks good on yours...im doing mine ;)
ditto!

attachment.php

THis is Perry's Sport Trac conversion kit for 90-94 Explorer's

DROOL DROOL

You can see with the fiberglass fenders and hood they did away with the sport trac fender buldge for smooth body lines.

This looks fantastic, however it will not fit a 95+ Ex as far as I know.

HOWEVER they do make fiberglass fenders for the sport trac and Gen II explorer's, so it is possible to run sport trac fiberglass on my gen II if I decide to ditch the buldge.

I am going to contact Perry's today and see if they have any options for me, it may very well be cheaper to go with all fiberglass instead of factory metal.

ive been eyeing that one for a long time now, the thing with me is that i dont think i want to be much wider up front since im still at stock track width...my 33s wont stick out THAT much. But i thought there was a thread around here where there was talk of making a ST glass front end for gen 2...maybe im crazy ;)

50performance.gif

Or I could go this route! hahaha I just noticed the EE airdam is made to be used with the PIAA lights I already have!
My 96 is the same blue color as the EE tester truck too apparently.
Wouldn't mind going lowered either...

we shall see...

eww...i dont really like the look of that, for some reason. Plus it doenst look as mean as the ST glass.

410Fortune said:
If I lift she will get a 4wd transfer case and a long travel a arm kit, remove the body lift, run fiberglass, etc etc. :) decisions decisions....
Not a hard decision at all. ;)

that is so weird, I did not QUOTE myself and the post where I posted that is gone?

Time to change my password?

maybe you are getting senile?

I must say I like the Perry's ST conversion. Of course, I like the ST/01-03 sport front end soooo much more than the nasty 2nd gen front-end.

That is weird. I posted that and just noticed that it was on your account, when i can't eb on your account.

Edit: I know what happened. I probably hit "edit" on your post instead of "quote". I was wondering why it didn't have the
tags on it. Sorry, my bad.

That exact same thing happened to me a while ago. There was a post using my account that *I* didn't write!

Here are some more detail pics I took before I pull the drivetrain, which is 95% ready to pull and will come out this weekend.

Blank engine. GT-40 5.0L, (96 non p heads), 87K miles.
965litre87kmiles.jpg

After fighting the D side engine mount on my blue truck for a couple hours (access to bolts) I decided this time I would remove the steering shaft, dipstick, and D side exhaust manifold. This engine will be getting Torque Monster headers anyways :) This took all of 15 minutes and made it SO much easier
dside965litre.jpg

Just FYI, here you can see how the computer, power distribution, engine and trans harness plug into the body on a Gen II Explorer, 3 big plugs:
dsidebodywires.jpg

More details:
dsidefender.jpg

pside965litre.jpg

And yes those Rancho RSX shocks will be going on my other 96, hahaha

I have now started to strip down the interior of the green truck, mostly so its easier for me to access the 4ea 02 sensor plugs from under the center console just before I pull the engine.

Interesting things to note:
PS cooler is mounted with 2 bolts. P side bolt is almost impossible to get to with the engine and steering rack in place. In order to avoid damaging the cooler when pulling the engine, I will lift the engine about 6" then unbolt it.

The 5.0L exhaust downpipes, the ones that house the 02 sensors will not come out of the truck until the engine and trans are lifted up a few inches from their mounts, at least ot all as one unit :)

Nice work! This you got your work cut out for ya this weekend!

Did you ever contact Perry's? I'm interested in this kit as well, but its not on their site. I'd e-mail them myself, but I figure why if you already have. :thumbsup:

I am waiting for word back from Perry's, I assume they were busy with baja

that BII has seen better days, however it did gain some wheelbase which is good news for a BII. Semi meets BII body? yuk!
hahaha

Back