Next project vehicle? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project vehicle will probably be my last. I've always been partial to DOHC engines since I purchased a 1958 Jaguar XK-150 in 1965. A recent thread: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap has captured my interest. I didn't know that the Aviator came with a DOHC V8 engine and was based on the 3rd generation Explorer. Since I don't like the looks of the Aviator front or the 500 lb weight disadvantage I've become very interested in swapping an Aviator engine into an Explorer. My long term objective would be a fairly quiet rear wheel drive 3rd Gen with a DOHC 4.6L V8 stroked to 5.0/5.1L and possibly forced induction.

I'm aware that the 2002 Explorer is probably the most complained about Explorer ever. Most of the complaints are associated with transmission failures. I could use some help researching which 3rd generation Explorer would be the best project vehicle.

I think the 5R55W and the 5R55S were possible transmissions. Were both used with the 4.6L? If so, is one more robust than the other?

Which transmission was installed in the Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L?

I've started another thread about the planned engine: DOHC 4.6L V8 build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

just the connector

John, your post made realize that the drawing is only identifying the knock sensor connector and not the actual sensor. Since the 2V and 4V blocks are the same, the sensors must be in the same locations.

I received two boxes yesterday from eBay seller racebronco02. He specializes in modular 4V and Mark VIII parts. I ordered a set of COPS for $50.
COPs.jpg

He sent 8 boots and 10 coils in case one or two were bad. One of the bags in the photo contains the valve cover fasteners and the other bag contains the oil pan fasteners I ordered.

The other box I received contained the heavier harmonic balancer for vehicles with automatic transmissions.
Balancer.jpg

COPs.jpg

Balancer.jpg

local vehicle

I know SC and OK are two far off places but there's what I come up with for 2wd V8 02-03 explorer. This listing has high miles, but a motor swap is your overall goal. . .

When I was looking for my Sport I had decided on a specific year (2000) and color (Toreador Red). I found one in Concord, NC which is northeast of Charlotte. I talked my wife into going for a "drive" on Memorial Day weekend to look at it. She ended up having to follow me home at night driving in a horrific thunderstorm. Now we're 68 years old and she no longer drives on the freeway but has agreed to a local purchase. So I'll just have to be patient.

5R55S vs 5R55W

I read thru the 2002 Explorer 5R55W/S diagnosis, cooling and overhaul instructions. According to the manuals the S stands for synchronous shift and the W stands wide ratio. However, the only difference I found documented was the shift speeds because of the different gear ratios. Because they are basically the same I guess I'll accept either one when a suitable vehicle becomes available.

Stroking concerns

Below is a photo of a stock Mach 1 piston and rod.
Mach1PistonRod.jpg

Deck Height: 8.937 in.
Comp Height: 1.22 in.
Rod Length: 5.933 in.
Stroke: 3.543 in.
The overall assembly
height = comp ht + rod length + (stroke/2) or 1.22+5.933+(3.543/2) = 8.9245
So the top of the piston is 8.937-8.9245=.0125 below the block surface

For one available 5.0L stroker kit:
Comp Height: 1.048 in.
Rod Length: 6.00 in.
Stroke: 3.75 in.
Total height = 1.048+6.00+(3.75/2) = 8.923 so the top of the piston is 8.937-8.923=.014 below the block surface

The problem is that as the stroke increases the compression height (distance from the pin center to the piston top) must decrease (if the rod length remains constant) leaving less room for ring lands. Since the compression ring lands are needed for strength the oil control ring land thickness is usually reduced. A piston with the above measurements would probably have no oil ring land where the piston pin bore is and may not be suitable for the street due to high oil consumption.

The Ross racing piston shown below seems like a better approach.
99644-2-Large.jpg

It's designed for a 3.75 in. stroke and a 5.850 in. long connecting rod and a compression height of 1.200 in. resulting in a total height of 8.925. The top of the piston would be 8.937-8.925= .012 below the block surface. However, unique pistons, rods and crankshaft are bound to be very expensive.

The knock sensor on the explorer is a dual sensor the is made into 1 connector. There are 2 sensors bolted on the block on the bosses you highlighted, but they are wired together into the same connector. I had to modify mine. The threads were different on the mark VIII block, so I used the mark viii sensors and spliced the explorer wire harness onto them.

If you want a 2nd option you can keep an eye out in the Norfolk area for a 3rd gen cheap. I buy them all the time with a bad engine or trans for around a grand all day with perfect bodies. I have a car trailer and plenty of friends and family spread out through NC and wouldn't mind a weekend trip. I could help with the transport if you want to get one out of this area not running.

different knock sensors

racebronco02 told me he had two different types of knock sensors but didn't know which one fit the Aviator block so I didn't order them. Rock Auto shows the same Standard Motors part KS189 for 2003-2005 Aviator and the 2002-2010 Explorer.
KS189.jpg

I've replaced the knock sensor several times in my Sport while fighting a significant knock sensor retard timing issue at WOT. However, I don't have the dual sensor connector that mates with the wiring harness. I don't understand the comment "The threads were different on the Mark VIII block". On my Sport there is just a bolt that goes thru the sensor and holds it to the block.
KS126.jpg

Is the bore a different size preventing the bolt from passing thru the sensor?

very generous offer

If you want a 2nd option you can keep an eye out in the Norfolk area for a 3rd gen cheap. I buy them all the time with a bad engine or trans for around a grand all day with perfect bodies. I have a car trailer and plenty of friends and family spread out through NC and wouldn't mind a weekend trip. I could help with the transport if you want to get one out of this area not running.

Thank you for that very generous offer! However, I want to avoid purchasing a vehicle exposed to salt either from the ocean or winter roads. I've found that many of the 2002-2003 Explorers have the cracked liftgate so I may have to accept that defect.
2003Liftgate.jpg

The mark VIII knock sensors thread into the block and then the wiring plugs into them. If I could have found some threaded sleeves or inserts to reduce the size of the hole, I could have used the explorer sensor setup.

Throttle body intake tube

The Lightning throttle body intake tube I received looks promising. One end is round and may stretch enough for a 4 inch diameter coupler.
IntakeTubeRound.jpg

The other end is oval and hopefully will fit the Mach 1 throttle body which may arrive by the end of the week.
IntakeTubeOval.jpg

The corrugated ends are very flexible but the wedge section in the middle is fairly rigid.
IntakeTubePorts.jpg

One large port is for the IAC valve and the other is for the hose that connects to the PCV port on the passenger side valve cover. The small elbow provides an atmospheric reference which I'll probably cap since it appears the 2002 Explorer doesn't need one. There's no IAT port and the Lightning MAF sensor does not have an integrated IAT sensor. The Lightning IAT sensor is probably in the intake manifold after the supercharger. The intake tube may be short enough for a coupler and reducer to match the stock Explorer MAF sensor that has an integrated IAT sensor. If so, then I'll use the stock MAF sensor until I install a supercharger at which time I'll switch to a 90 mm LMAF sensor.

The Lightning IAT is in the air filter housing lid. It just pops into a rubber grommet I think, it might do a little 1/4 turn. The explorer maf would make things easier for now.

Fuel rails

I picked up the Aviator fuel rails this morning (top view):
FuelRailTop.jpg

Bottom view:
FuelRailBottom.jpg

The fuel supply port has a similar location and orientation to the 2002 Explorer (bottom view):
FuelRailBtm2002Ex.jpg

It would be very fortunate if the existing supply hose reaches and the connector fits.

It looks like you will be good. The explorer fuel line is right where that one is. And I can pretty much guarantee that the fitting is the same. Ford was pretty consistent with them. The larger size is supply and the smaller size is return. On returnless systems, the only use the supply line size.

Throttle bodies

The Cobra and Lightning throttle bodies are the same size. I have both of them. The shaft is different since the cable comes from different directions.
A 4.5 inch coupler should fit the throttle bodies, I used sewer pipe and a 4 inch sewer pipe coupler. I later got a silicone coupler off eBay for the throttle body end just for looks. The 2012 GT500 maf housing is 4.5 inch OD also on the side where the coupler hooks up, I cut one up to make it look just like any other cone type filter setup.

coupler

Also note that the 4 inch sewer coupler is 4.5 inches ID.

dipstick, tube & pan

According to the Ford database, part numbers:

.... Vehicle ........... Oil dipstick ...... Tube .................... Pan
03-05 Aviator ...... 2C5Z6750AA .. 2C5Z6754AA (NLA) 1L2Z6675BA (DOHC)
03-04 Mach 1 .......1L3Z6750AA .. XR3Z6754BA ......... XR3Z6675DA (DOHC)
99-04 Mustang GT 1R3Z6750BB .. XR3Z6754BA ......... XR3Z6675DA (SOHC)
02-05 Explorer .... 1L2Z6750BA .. 1L2Z6754CA .......... 1L2Z6675BA (SOHC)

03-04 Expedition . 2L7Z6750AA . 2L1Z6754BA ........... 2L1Z6675BA (5.4L)
03-04 Navigator .. 2L7Z6750AA ...2L1Z6754BA ........... 2L1Z6675BA (5.4L)

(NLA) > no longer available

I found a photo of a Mach 1 dipstick & tube:
DipstickMach1.jpg

and a 2004 Explorer/Mountaineer:
DipstickEx04.jpg

Other than the handle they look quite similar.

Dedicated SCT X3

Today on eBay I won a new (but not in the box) SCT X3 with a serial number starting with XP (holds up to 10 tunes) for $183 plus $15 for shipping. I don't know why it didn't go for higher since the screen showed unmarried with 5 unlocks remaining. Maybe it was because the description said it didn't include any tunes or new packaging. Anyway, so now I'll have an X3 to dedicate to the 3rd Generation Explorer I eventually will purchase.

Back