Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Next project vehicle?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, November 9, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Esm

I thought there was no map signal wire but they just left it out of this diagram.
      Here is some helpful info.

Attached Files:

• ESM.jpg
        ESM.jpg
        File size:
        50.9 KB
        Views:
      • ESM2.jpg
        ESM2.jpg
        File size:
        61.3 KB
        Views:
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Map signal wire

I wonder if the map signal wire could be used as an analog input to the X3 to datalog boost/vacuum.

4. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      EGR system

John, that looks like the diagram for the Aviator that has the integrated EGR system module (EGR valve, EVR, DPFE sensor and MAP sensor).
      Aviator3.jpg
      My 2002 shop manual CD shows the discrete EGR system.
      IACVDia.jpg
      And the electrical diagram agrees with the drawing.

My Mach 1 intake system uses the discrete EGR system components. I would rather use the integrated system to eliminate the orifices in the EGR tube and the hoses that connect the orifices to the DPFE sensor. I think the Aviator EGR system module will bolt directly to the discrete EGR valve mount on the Mach 1 manifold but the tube port will face the driver side instead of aft.
      Mach1a.jpg
      I don't have one to try and haven't determined if there is room for a 90 degree or 180 degree bend. As Luke provided in post 42 the PCM expected DPFE signal values are the same for both systems.

5. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      egr's

The egr system with 3 separate parts is called the DPFE egr system.

The egr system where all three parts are one is called the ESM egr system.
      ESM stands for Egr System Module.
      To date all the ESM's work the same way. The only differences is which way they are clocked, the egr tube connection and the electrical connector.
      All you have to do is find a year make and model of the way you want it clocked and it should work. (that is if the ESM can replace a DPFE system).
      On the ESM the restriction is the gasket so you will need that too. The ESM is better since when it is closed you don't have hot egr gases pushing into the sensor all the time.

There is a third EGR system called EEGR or stepper motor EGR. EEGR stands for electronic egr. That system would not work in place of DPFE.

6. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      egr

Here is a Borg Warner 1814, looks like it is facing the right way.
      Your local parts stores probably have one in stock so you can be sure of the clocking.

Attached Files:

7. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Evr

The EVR (egr vacuum regulator) on both systems (I used 2002 Explorer DPFE vs 2005 Crown Vic ESM) were both 26-40 ohms according to the pin point tests. So the pcm should be able to control either without being damaged.

8. 87350gta

87350gta Active Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      '02 Explorer limited
      While these 2 statements are correct, the function of both is different. The aviator uses the ect for temperature input to the pcm and instrument cluster. It uses the cht sensor only as a fail safe sensor. The explorer only uses a cht and does not have an ect in the system. You might have known this already, but I didn't learn it until I out the aviator pcm in my explorer.

9. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Bwd egr1814

Thanks John, that looks just like what I need! I had determined that using the Aviator ESM would be a problem because of the wrong angle of the EGR tube port. I found one for the F150 that would probably work.
      EGV1033.jpg
      So now I have two options. I have a section of the Aviator EGR tube that includes the end that connects to the ESM which helps.
      This looks the same as BWD EGR1814
      EGV1041.jpg

Last edited: December 6, 2014
    10. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Wasted sensor

I was not aware of that and thank you for posting. I've confirmed that's also true for the 2003 Explorer. The output of the sensor doesn't go to either the PCM or the instrument cluster. I prefer the ECT sensor to be near the thermostat making it easy to monitor thermostat functionality. I also like having a CHT sensor since that is the most likely to have a hot spot that could damage the engine. I wonder if the PCM strategy still supports the ECT sensor and if it could be enabled. If not, I'll investigate installing a gauge to display the ECT.

11. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      2000streetrod,
      That picture you posted has the two vacuum nipples broken off. lol.

12. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      very observant

You are very observant John. I didn't even notice that since I was focused on the EGR port orientation. I might mock up the intake system and the valve covers today to see which ESM would fit best.

13. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      reliable V8s

There have been two 2003 rear wheel drive Explorers with blown engines posted on the local Craig's List for less than $1,000 in the last two days. But when I contacted the sellers both vehicles had V6s - no surprise. From my standpoint at this time the V8's better reliability is a disadvantage.

14. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Dipstick, tube & exhaust manifold

I found a good photo of a Mach 1 block with the oil dipstick and tube installed.
      Mach1Exhaust.jpg
      The dipstick tube comes up between the head and exhaust manifold with a bracket that attaches to the head. My Aviator head is identical to the Mach 1 head but my Aviator exhaust manifolds are different - the EGR port is on the passenger side instead of the driver side. I suspect that an Aviator, Mach 1 or Cobra oil tube will fit but not an Explorer tube. The DOHC heads are wider than the SOHC heads requiring a different bend in the tubes.

Edit: The Ford database part number for the Mach 1 dipstick tube is the same as for the SOHC V8. According to the shop manual drawings the Aviator dipstick attaches in two places: one to the head where the Mach 1 tube attaches and a second place higher up to the top of the valve cover stud. All of the Lincoln dealers I tried are out of stock of the Aviator tube and they can't order one because it is no longer available. I haven't found a part number for the MK VIII dipstick tube nor a photo that shows how it attaches. I found a photo of a 1998 MK VIII block with the dipstick tube attached.
      MKVIIIc.jpg
      I'll try to find one of them since the Aviator one isn't available. However, the oil pans for the Aviator and the MK VIII differ significantly so I'll purchase an Aviator dipstick since it is still available from Lincoln.
      MKVIIIb.jpg
      I found a photo of a 1998 MK VIII dipstick and it doesn't have the second upper bracket.
      MKVIIIDipStick.jpg
      So I give up on trying to find one with the upper bracket.

Last edited: December 8, 2014
    15. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Coolant hose?

The following Mach 1 photo shows a hose that connects to the rear of the water pump housing to cool something but I haven't determined what.
      Mach1Valley.jpg
      Since the DOHC and the SOHC blocks are the same can anyone tell me what the coolant hose connects to?

Edit: I think I found the tube in the Explorer manual - heater water inlet tube? Luke, is this what you were referring to for connecting the added head coolant ports to?

Last edited: December 7, 2014
    16. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Goofy cooling system

According to the Aviator manual much of the engine cooling system is external to the block. I was considering a remote oil filter adapter but have realized that would complicate the engine cooling system since the thermostat housing is associated with the oil filter adapter.
      TstatHousing2.jpg
      TstatHousing3.jpg
      I found the above listed on eBay so I guess I should purchase it and try to replicate the Aviator cooling system with minor modifications.

17. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Coolant crossover tube?

Of all of the different engine coolant configurations (Aviator, Mach 1, SVT Cobra, MK VIII) the Aviator seems like the biggest kluge. I purchased the Aviator oil filter adapter shown in the previous post but I'd prefer to avoid duplicating the Aviator cooling system. The Mach 1, Cobra and Aviator crossover tubes are fairly expensive so I'm considering the less expensive MK VIII.
      CrossoverMKVIII.jpg
      It looks like it has the two ports that connect to the heads and the other two large ports just like the Aviator. It may not have the ECT sensor but I've learned from 87350gta that the Explorer doesn't use that sensor output - only the CHT sensor. 87350gta also pointed out that the Aviator has a top to bottom flow radiator while the Explorer has a cross flow radiator and I intend to use the one in the Explorer. I'm having problems determining what all of the hoses and tubes in the Aviator diagrams are for but I'll need a unique configuration due to the head cooling modification I plan to implement on both heads.

18. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Have you decided what you will do with the engine as far as rebuilding or upgrading etc?

I ask because I still have a pair of never used DOHC heads that came from a 2002 Cobra crate engine. I was planning to work towards the Aviator or the engine/trans possibly, but that changed quickly. The heads I have came from a young man who bought the crate engine for his 98 Cobra, and discovered later that it was too much trouble to convert it to the later heads, COP etc. The heads you can buy now from Ford will be rebuilt and don't include any valvetrain, except maybe the springs/keepers etc. I'm not sure what the differences are among the DOHC heads, they have made so many. If these might be a match to what you have or will end up with, I'd be happy to work it out to get you the new heads(they had a few bent exhaust studs, and one broken back end mounting bolt boss). I haven't yet tried to fix those, I figured replacing the few studs would be best, and the valve springs should be too given the age now.

19. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      heads

Don, the heads on the 2003 Aviator are the same as used on the 2003 Mach 1 and Cobra. There was an improvement in 2005 that solved the coolant flow problem in the driver side head and increased the number of spark plug threads from 4 to 9. These heads are in pretty good condition so I plan to use them. I'll remove or modify the rear freeze plug and install a port in both heads to improve flow thru cooling after I take them to a head shop for evaluation. I'll ask about bronze valve guides and a valve job.

20. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Sounds good Dale, and let us know what some of that work costs where you are. I have a 95 Crown Vic SOHC that has leaked coolant into the oil once, and I wonder what it will cost to have the heads rebuilt(versus selling the car as is).

21. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      coolant crossover tube variations

I think I've determined the differences in the coolant crossover tube variations. For the 1993-1998 MK VIII and the 1996-1998 SVT Cobra the mounting brackets are vertical.
      CrossoverCobra96.jpg
      There are 6 ports on the Cobra and 5 ports on the MK VIII.
      CrossoverMKVIIIb.jpg
      For the Mach 1 and the 1999-2001 SVT Cobra the mounting brackets are horizontal and there are 5 ports.
      CrossoverMach1.jpg
      Since the mounting brackets attach to the intake manifold, and the manifold for the Aviator is different from the Mach 1, I probably should purchase a Mach 1/Cobra crossover tube although an Aviator one may fit. I haven't been able to find a photo of the Aviator crossover tube. The part numbers for it is 2C5Z8548DB. I haven't been able to find the Mach 1 crossover tube part number. The Explorer doesn't support the ECT sensor so if I need another port I can remove the ECT sensor and use its port.

Last edited: December 14, 2014
    22. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Cooling system flow?

The Aviator oil filter adapter that includes the thermostat housing arrived yesterday. It mounts on the driver side of the block. The water port is identified by the blue arrow and the oil input port from the oil filter by the red arrow.
      BlockLeftSide.jpg
      According to the workshop manual the upper coolant port on the adapter is connected to the coolant crossover tube and the bottom coolant port is connected to the lower radiator hose.
      OilFilterAdapterLabels.jpg
      Normally, the water pump pulls radiator coolant from the lower radiator port. That way when the coolant level is low the flow still continues. What confuses me is the shop manual shows the passenger side of the crossover tube being connected to the upper radiator port.
      CrossoverMach1a.jpg
      I couldn't find a good photo of an Aviator crossover tube so I marked up a Mach 1 tube. The tube I've drawn is the heater supply port which indicates there is flow thru the crossover tube from the driver side to the passenger side. The heater supply port is shown in the photo below.
      2005AviatorIntakeManfld.jpg

I don't understand why there is flow thru the radiator when the thermostat opens. There doesn't seem to be a pressure differential from the water pump in the path. There's a Caution in the manual that states "This engine is equipped with a cold side thermostat" whatever that means.

Last edited: December 17, 2014
    23. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      cold side thermostat

I think cold side thermostat means the t-stat is on the bottom where the cold coolant comes in from the radiator, rather than the top where the hot coolant comes out going to the radiator. Most designs have it on the hot side coming out of the engine like our 4.0 SOHC's, where you pointed out the T-stat is on the bottom on the Aviator.

24. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      coolant pipe

This may be an aviator engine. Not sure.
      Just posting it because it looks like the coolant pipe picture you posted.

Attached Files:

25. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Cooling system flow? (continued)

That makes sense John. That's not an Aviator, Mach 1 or a 1999-2001 Cobra engine intake system.

The Aviator shop manual shows a tube connected between the heater return hose and the rear of the block casting for the water pump.
      HeaterRtnAviator.jpg

On the Mach 1 the equivalent heater return comes from the rear under the intake manifold.
      Mach1Valley.jpg

The Explorer has a heater supply in a location similar to the Aviator. The thermostat is under the upper radiator hose casting on the intake manifold, driver side.
      HeaterSupplyExplorer.jpg
      The Explorer heater return is similar to the Mach 1.
      HeaterRtnExplorer.jpg

I don't know where the heater supply is on the Mach 1. I guess I should get an Aviator crossover tube and maybe an Explorer heater return tube. Hopefully the heater return tube will not interfere with the Kenne Bell intake manifold if I ever add a blower. I could merge the added head coolant ports with the heater return.

I found a diagram of the coolant components in the shop manual.
      CoolantSysDiagrmAviator.jpg
      The small hose with no number is identified in another drawing as the PCV coolant hose? The two stud/bolts (item 11) fasten the crossover tube brackets to the intake manifold aft of the alternator. The alternator bracket sits on top of the stud/bolts. I have the Mach 1 alternator bracket and stud/bolts which looks identical to the one in the drawing but not the same as the one listed for the Aviator in the Ford parts database.
      AlternatorBrktTasca.jpg
      The database shows the part only fits the Aviator with no mention of the Mach 1.

Would an Aviator owner please look at your alternator mounting bracket to see if its curved or flat - a photo would be very helpful.

Last edited: December 17, 2014
    26. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      engine picture

Looks like that picture I posted may be a (aprox)2004 Navigator engine.