2012 Truckhaven Rock Run Oct. 27 -28 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Truckhaven Rock Run Oct. 27 -28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few TruckHaven newbie questions . . .

1. It's primitive camping, correct ? ? Poop-in-a-bag or dig a cathole kind of camping ? ? Got no issues with that, just need to know to bring shovel, T.P. bags, etc.

2. Bring all consumables, correct ? ? Water, food, fuel, . . .

Pretty well set on camping stuff, any other "Truckhaven-Specific" recommendations ? ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
'91 Sport

1. It's primitive camping, correct ? ? Poop-in-a-bag or dig a cathole kind of camping ? ? Got no issues with that, just need to know to bring shovel, T.P. bags, etc.

--Yes primitive camping, but there is a gas station with restrooms only like 5-10 minutes down the road, so not too far from civilization. (normally me and my father bring a 5gal bucket and a trash bag)

2. Bring all consumables, correct ? ? Water, food, fuel, . . .

--Yes, again theres a gas station a few minutes away

Pretty well set on camping stuff, any other "Truckhaven-Specific" recommendations ? ?

--Normally there is a potluck on the saturday night so we normally start another thread based on what to bring for that.

Hope to see you there:thumbsup:

.^^^...Yep...What he said..:D

..Any type of goggles might come in handy in your bag..;)

.^^^...Yep...What he said..:D

..Any type of goggles might come in handy in your bag..;)

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, the googles will go in the rig, as I'm kinda windowless. . . (Do have some inserts though...)

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Rear Angle.JPG
    Rear Angle.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 272

You need to be prepaired for "wind events" every evening around dusk. This means that your tent should be capable of handling wind and secured very well to the ground.

Personally I won't go out there without a hard walled something to camp in because of the wind. I have even had a friend rent a u-haul and bring it out there to came in. Whatever works.

Ther area is primarilly composed of sandy dirt so you can dig a cathole to do your business in if you want. Usually whe the business is on the more solid side we go in to town to pick up ice and drop off solids ;)

You need to be prepaired for "wind events" every evening around dusk. This means that your tent should be capable of handling wind and secured very well to the ground.

Personally I won't go out there without a hard walled something to camp in because of the wind. I have even had a friend rent a u-haul and bring it out there to came in. Whatever works.

Ther area is primarilly composed of sandy dirt so you can dig a cathole to do your business in if you want. Usually whe the business is on the more solid side we go in to town to pick up ice and drop off solids ;)

Oh come on!!! Your not suppose to say it!!!:mad: We never say the word in these threads, we always just refer to it as the "BIG W"

I used the tow rig today for an errand and figured I'd throw in some of the summer fuel and put my super market discount to good use. I had to swipe the CC twice to fill it up.. Good thing the front tank was more than 1/2 full.

Now when I fill up for the trip I won't have to put too much in using October Prices.

~Mark

Attachments

• photo (27).jpg
    photo (27).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 247
  • photo (28).jpg
    photo (28).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 251

I used the tow rig today for an errand and figured I'd throw in some of the summer fuel and put my super market discount to good use. I had to swipe the CC twice to fill it up.. Good thing the front tank was more than 1/2 full.

Now when I fill up for the trip I won't have to put too much in using October Prices.

~Mark

add at least another $.50+ a gallon once you cross the border:(

Oh come on!!! Your not suppose to say it!!!:mad: We never say the word in these threads, we always just refer to it as the "BIG W"

Sorry about that. I am used to not saying it while we are there, never knew not to mention it in the forums though ;)

Out there I normally refer to it as "the effect that heppens when air from a high pressure area rapidly moves to a low pressure area".

Just came through that area today coming back from Tucson, a nice toasty 112 deg. Hotter then Tucson. Home today here is 104 deg. Never know what the weather will be here in Oct.

add at least another $.50+ a gallon once you cross the border:(

It's much higher than that. The station near my house out here in Rancho Cucamonga is $4.15 for regular. It usually cost me about $150+ to fill up my Suburban because of the 44 gallon tank. It's usually 20 to 30 cents more out at Truck Haven.

We were in San Diego/Carlsbad area a couple weeks ago.. California prices were about $.50 higher than Yuma prices but more like $.90 higher than Tucson prices..

I usually fill up in Tucson, then Yuma, then put in 10 gallons while in Ca, and refill in Yuma..

Still going to be expensive fuel wise which is why I have been saving about $400 for fuel for this trip.

I'm changing hoses etc on the X now.. I can't remember when I last changed them so they are due (its been a couple years)..

I even found a couple more sets of goggles to bring to try to help keep the big W away.. (when I'm prepared it seems that it doesn't show up)...

I'm really itching for this trip to get here...

~Mark

UPS just dropped off my new tires this morning:bounce:

Hopefully gas prices go back down because the same station that was $4.15 yesterday is $4.39 today. Almost $85 to put 19 gallons in my Explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... I keep telling myself I shouldn't go to this because I'm trying to sell the Explorer.. But I guess I'm giving in. I"ll be there the 27th, looking forward to meeting you all finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back