Calico May 14+15 - Anyone interested? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calico May 14+15 - Anyone interested?

Nice pics Jefe,my rig actually got some camera time this trip :D

Colin, good thing you left when you did because it was even hotter today. We did do a nice little night run though and ended (literally) at wall st. canyon. John was leading and came up to a ledge and Jefe decided to check it out...good thing he did, the first drop was almost 10 ft. and the next one was about 100 :eek: We threw rocks in there and it took a good 6 or 7 seconds before we heard them hit anything.

We all went into Calico ghost town (minus Stic-o and his parents) today just to check it out. Saw some more mines, old buildings and a cheezy gunfight...you didn't miss much there...lol.

So when's the Big Bear trip? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DB_1 said:
So when's the Big Bear trip? :p
I'm ready for one any time. I was trying to plan one with all of my friends and then as soon as I figured out what the dates would be, I was going to post it up here to get some of the locals to go. I asked my friends about 3 weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me so I'm not worried about them. Let's plan a trip and if they can make it cool, if not... no big whoop. :D

I was going to mention something about your truck actually being in more than one pic, and not being in the background. :D
I took a few pics of it too so as soon as I'm able to upload I will.

I'll be in for a BB trip say either June or July on a non holiday weekend.

Great pics guys :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me. I was originally trying for the second weekend in June. I believe the dates are Fri. 10th - Sun. 12th. I'll start a new thread for Big Bear and see if anyone will be in. Not sure if many guys will be able to make that early. That's a little close to Memorial weekend.

Woo Hoo!!! That trip was HOT! (literally)

I had a great time - highlights included:
-hot sun beaming down in to our tent at "way too early" in the morning
-calibrated GPS/guide book navigating, with plenty of U-turns
-ominous warning from a seasoned Jeeper "stay ALL the way to the right on that narrow obstacle - it's "kickass"" (with subsequent window carnage caught on tape!)
-the Calico ghost (or aliens, take your pick)
-two "interesting" attempts at Gatekeeper, even though I couldn't get to the correct line (thanks for the save, Brian!!)
-night run to the "extreme obstacle"
-the rock throw to determine the depth of the canyon (wait for it . . . wait for it . . . )
-SCUD missile attack
-and, of course, the Calico shootout (insert corny "the good, the bad, and the ugly" theme music here)

Got home about 315, decent drive, no real bad traffic, just Sunday drivers. Will post some pictures later.

Jefe said:
That's a good one. I wonder who wrote HELP! on the bottom of the Jeep...?

AGF00036.JPG

:p :p :p :p :p

Yeah Colin, John was thought you put a big ford logo there :D

Here is a few of my Pics. My wife got a almost frame by frame of John's jeep going over. I'll have to send them to ya Jefe ;)

12287Calico_1.jpg

12287Calico2.jpg

12287John1.jpg

12287John2.jpg

12287John3.jpg

In the frame by frame you can actualy see the Jeeps right rear tire buckle

12287Ouch-med.jpg

Looks like you got some nice shots of the trip too Colin :thumbsup:
That's a cool flex shot Stic-o took of you :D

Sounds like a good time out there. Not much action on the run I went to up by fresno as I was helping the club put the run on. So the next question is: Is it worth setting up another run to hhead out there next fall/winter when it cools off?

FROADER said:
And it's backwards too. :D

The wife took it through the mirror ;)

Stic-o, tell me if the 1st gen window fits. I thought they were different.

Premier said:

It looks the same because the 95-97's use the same window (molding). That means the 98-01 would work ;) I think I'll get to it tonight. :rolleyes:

Premier said:

Well the good news is the first gen window fits perfect :thumbsup:

Bad news is there is a 1" gap between where the window should be and the dented up body :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
Well the good news is the first gen window fits perfect :thumbsup:

Bad news is there is a 1" gap between where the window should be and the dented up body :(

Sounts like it is time to cut the roof off and make it into an early model sport trac :D Hope you can get it figured out and made to work.

Back