Drilling for tow hooks.

EBInterceptor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Today, along with getting my new fogs that I'm going to install, I also picked up a set of black 10,000 lb. tow hooks for $8.00 a piece. I read that people drilled holes into the fram to install them (using 2 holes there already and drilling 1 more for each side (that's two total holes for each side)).....Now....my question is, what sort of drill and bit should I use to drill through the frame? Would a cordless drill work? Should I buy a metal specific bit just to do this? Tell me what you think....also 3/8" holes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A regular metal bit should work fine. Also its easier to start with a small bit and work your way up to the size bit to make your final hole. You can also spray some lubricant on the bit as your drilling. As far as a cordless, it just depends on the size if it will do it or not. Id recommend power drill.

Lubricant is definately a good idea. And most of the time you get what you pay for with bits. Get a specific hardened bit for metal.

You'll most likely need a corded drill unless your cordless is professional grade.

This is all for the safest and easiest way to do it. I once drilled through my frame with a crappy bit (broke 2) and crappy drill, and no lubricant. Took me 20 minutes to drill the hole :(

When I did mine...

I just bought a 1/2" bit at Pep-Boys. and drilled on through. I did use a corded drill. Drilling the Easy Part!:rolleyes: The hard part is getting the washer and the nut on the bolt in the frame. But once you got the hang of it it's easy;)

Are there any trick of getting the washers and nuts on?

Instead of putting nuts and washers on the bolts in the frame if you drill the hole the right size you could just tap the holes and screw the bolts directly in the holes no nuts needed.

Originally posted by briwayjones
Instead of putting nuts and washers on the bolts in the frame if you drill the hole the right size you could just tap the holes and screw the bolts directly in the holes no nuts needed.

Um, no. Use washers, lock washers, and nuts please. I don't want to hear about a tow hook flying at someone's head!

Yeah, I plan on using all of the parts included. Even if I was lucky enough not to kill someone, I wouldn't want it to rip off my plastic air dam (or whatever the proper name is).

Originally posted by EBInterceptor
Yeah, I plan on using all of the parts included. Even if I was lucky enough not to kill someone, I wouldn't want it to rip off my plastic air dam (or whatever the proper name is).

Oh, but you'll probably rip it off eventually. I liked mine so much better without ;)

Originally posted by Alec
Um, no. Use washers, lock washers, and nuts please. I don't want to hear about a tow hook flying at someone's head!

Well of course use washers, but there's no reason doing it that way wouldn't hold. If it doesn't hold then it wasn't done right.

Better to be safe than sorry. I'm putting in new fogs tomorrow too....so I hope they don't get ripped of right away!

When drilling anything metal upwards.............SAFETY GLASSES!!!

I know it sounds corny, but use them!

I intend on wearing them, but I always appreciate reminders. Thank you.

Originally posted by briwayjones
Please don't do this!! Threads tapped into the frame won't last 5 seconds when actually pulling something with the hooks. I have yanked threaded bolts out of my X frame with as little as 300lbs on them.

I noticed people jacked theirs up when doing this, would you recommend that I do it also?

Just to add to the last posts, dont do it.... Use nuts and washers.

Is there any tricks though to getting the nuts and washers on?

I hope you can visualize what I am about to say....

Assuming you took the front bumper off, put the washers one at a time into the framerail and push them with a long srewdriver until they are over top of the holes. Next, put one of the nuts into a wrench with a piece of duct tape over the top so that it is secured in the head of the wrench. Slide it into the hole in the end of the framerailand onto the rear tow hook hole. Push the bolt through the hole and start turning. Once the threads catch, you are home free. Do the same for the front bolt. If you are going to use the strap retaining clip, do not forget to put it on before you insert the bolts into the hook.

Good luck!

For the front hook, I used long bolts that went all the way through the frame so I didn't have to work inside the boxed portion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take of my bumper and everything, but maybe I'll just have to do that. Last resort I'll get really long bolts and go through the top of the frame. That was a good description though, I was able to understand it.

Back