Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download)

No the scrap metal isn't necessary I followed the exact instructions that followed the pics and I didnt use the metal and the hooks fit fine you can still access them easily the hooks just aren't as noticeable without the hooks which I like. Hope this answers your question.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I people are worried about a chain breaking, why don't you just get a heavier duty chain? I have a chain that's rated at 45,000 lbs(heavy enough to pull a loaded log truck if it's stuck) I know it's larger than average, but I know it's not going to break on me, no matter what I'm pulling or what's pulling me...

Has anyone ever seen or installed tow hooks on a 95 Explorer that does not have factory fog lights (the air dams are different). I don't think that my air dam allows access to the frame like the fog light airdams do. Just curious about how the install would change.

Originally posted by C5 Pewter Coupe
I people are worried about a chain breaking, why don't you just get a heavier duty chain? I have a chain that's rated at 45,000 lbs(heavy enough to pull a loaded log truck if it's stuck) I know it's larger than average, but I know it's not going to break on me, no matter what I'm pulling or what's pulling me...

A chain can slip off of a hook and has a lot of energy when it flies off. If a strap breaks it will generally not fly all over the place.

Thanks for posting the pics. However, I have a question. Has anyone with a Sport package (i.e. the grey bumpers, not the chrome ones) done the front tow hook install? I have that package and it seems like the opening in the bumper is about an inch or 2 from the frame (too far towards center of truck). I worry that towing would rip up the grey plastic outer bumper.

Any advice (or esp. pictures) would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid the Dremel if I can (it's only 1.5 yrs old!).

Thanks!
John

John,
I don't think anyone with a 2000 Explorer has tried this, if they have, they haven't told us yet! On my 97 Sport the slot in the bumper is long enuff.

hey, just wondering if anyone has tried to install the tow hooks with a brush guard already on the front bumper. i've got a 97 XLT, and it doesn't look like the tow hooks would be very accessible with the brush guard installed. does anyone have the hooks with the brush guard? thanks. oh and does anyone know of the front receiver hitches? are they any good, and can they be installed with a brush guard on the front. i am looking at the hidden hitch front receiver hitch. thanks

Perfect Remedy...

Don't get stuck and always remember that there is always 6 more inches... unless, of course, YOU FALL IN AN ABYSS like this guy...

that truck looks familiar.... hmmmmm.... well i have tow points on the rear, that's why i want them on the front, for silly things like that

you'll see 2 pictures there. I busted up my air dam a while back in a mud hole so i just left if off and had these welded on there! The bar is a piece of 1.5 by 3" tubing that i had left over from the nerf bars i made so we just cut it to the outside width of my frame, welded it and welded the tow hooks where we wanted them and there ya have it! They work great, i haven't gotten to really try them out good yet. I did have to use them to come-along my truck up on a trailer and they worked fine like that. Now, the ends were wide open because it was tubing, so i had a buddy cut me some wood that would slid up inside each end, kinda like a wedge and the i filled it up with bondo on the ends and i still need to sand it down. I did the same thing with my nerf bars and they look great. Hope this helps someone!

Happy trailes

What about welding tow hooks to the frame in the front? I have a shop at the corner that wants $30 to weld the hooks in place

an alternative to installing hooks can be found here:
Front Hitch
really strong, and i like the fact that no metal pieces will fly out if a couple bolts bust or get weak. no welding, and straightforward to install, using pre existing holes in the frame.

Will, you could just weld to the frame, but i'm not sure how your front bumper is set up. On my 97 if i would have welded them to the frame then the first time i had to use mine to pull up, then i would have probably caught my bumper, that's why i used that piece of box tubing to space them down so that no matter how i pull on them the will not touch the bumper! Hope i helped some!

Happy trailes!

Well, this would be a great thread in our new PROJECTS catagory!

*******HINT***********HINT****************

Box tubing I am not familiar with that. I looked at your pics and it seemed like there were giant globs of mud between the frame and tow hooks. If I understand your idea, the idea was to lower the hooks away from the frame and extend the hooks out toward the bumper? How has welding worked for you? Welding is so much faster than bolting

Please don't weld to the frame. You'll end up ripping off the hooks and a chunk of the frame. Take the 30 minutes to drill two holes and fish the bolts in.
Dead Link Removed

I was able to get two of the bolts tightened with a wrench, but the other two were too far into the frame to get. Sat back for a minute, said forget taking off the bumper, hooked a tow strap to them and the other end to a Yukon and made it nice and tight. Finished tighting the bolts.

Recap,
Don't weld the frame.
Yukons' are good for something.

Did you cut those triangle holes in the frame to drop the bolts through?

Well, if you weld to the frame and you rip them off then you need to get a winch!

If you bolt to the frame, you will still rip a chunk of frame off there if your bolts don't snap first , causing some damage to what ever is in it's way. Nothing bad to you leebo, i was going to bolt mine but i didn't see anyway around the bumper so i welded, either way is great. No matter what it is you do, it has an up side and a downside!

Happy trailes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leebo I have a 97 that might explain those triangles missing

Jot I agree with your assessment, if you break the bolts there are problems if you break the weld there is problems.

I am gonna try the weld for $30 bucks. I think that if the weld breaks then the strap may be to the point of breaking. I cant see being that stuck that I cant be pulled from the rear or front. If the front breaks that means that you should have been pulling fron the rear.

Back