Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download)

Yep! That's it!! Do you have to remove the bumper in order to install it? Also, will it weaken the tow hooks' ability if you do that??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the bumper makes it a heckuva lot easier. As for strength with bolting in the frame vs. through the whole thing, I have no idea. I haven't ripped a hook off yet, though :D

Do you have to remove the bumper in order to install it?
Nope.

It is a pain to line up those top holes with the btm ones though.

will it weaken the tow hooks' ability if you do that??
??? The hook is still there - so ???
If it pulls out I'll let you know.

I was able to install my towhooks on my 96 sport without take the bumper off or installing plates i had to drill 1 one in each frame rail for each towhook. I then angled the towhooks in and i trimmed the airdamn a little for some more room. I think i may take off the bottom part of the bumper and my brush guard the damn thing does more harm than good. taught me to research where the brushgaurd mounts before you buy it :)

I have the Manik GG and used the lower cross bar to attempt pulling a fallen tree out of the way of a path I was on. Bad idea, bent the bar like a "V". I was thinking of mounting hooks to the plates that attach the GG to the frame. They'd probably bend on a side to side pull, but if you used both both sides equally and pulled straight, they'd be fine. I'll try and get a pic up to show what I mean.

Folks, folks, folks, I put the plates on just to lower the hooks for better accessibility. Yes, they will work fine attacted to the frame. However, lowering them makes them (1) more visible, thus setting my Explorer apart from, say, one without :) and (2) keeps the tow strap just a little lower so it doesn't make too much contact with the bumper (I was afraid of damaging the bumper in a pull). However, plates are not necessary.... And the write-up was meant as a general guide, not to be followed directly. To each his own :)

Alright...thanks guys. I'll be getting a pair next week so I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the help!

BUMP!!!!!

Front tow point on 95 w/o fog lights

Hello, Tow hooks are one option, but I do not see how they will work on a 95 w/o the fog lights. At least not with out cutting the air damm. How does this one sound? Take a tow chain (heavy duty so no breakage) and wrap it around both frame rails and hook toghether with grade 8 bolt. The remaining tail piece can come out the air damm for a tow strap or other chain (with a blanket on it) to the tow vehical. The tail can be tucked/wired back onto the oval inside till needed.???? sound reasonable?

I haven't seen a fogless bumper in quite some time, but from my memory, it seems feasible. Just make sure that heavy duty chain s heavy-heavy diuty :)

OK is there anyone out there who put tow hooks on the front of a 95-98 with a 3" BL. I have the valance with fog lights and there just seems to be no good place to put them without having them hit the valance.
And for the rear, are the ok behind the shackles or should I put them on the side? Splashman if you see this are your rear hooks to high, the lok like they would hit the bumper, when you are pulling something. Thanks guys
Gary

I had my Tow hooks on the frame before I did a body Lift. When I did the BOdy lift I left the front Valance off since the Fog lights were going to need to be worked on to get them to fit.... so now I have Fang's!

I was trying no to go that route but maybe I will or just leave it on and if it gets ripped off then it wont be in the way anymore. i dont really plan on having to use them all that much I hope.
Gary

Just go ahead and remove the stupid plastic valence. That way you can sell it and profit from it before it inevitably gets torn up on a trail.

Well the truth is I dont really offroad. I just got 33s 3"BL tt/shackles. If there is an alternate route through the woods I would take that. I go hunting. to my buddys cabin and skiing when the weather is the best(snowing the harder the better). Thats the limits of my offroading and the valance has working fogs and hides the ugly frame so I think it is going to stay. At least until i really start to offroad and replace the bumper and do a SAS which will probably be tonight when I go to bed

Ready For The Next Level!

Finally installed tow hooks. They bolt through bottom and top of frame, like the ones shown on offroadkc’s post above. Took a couple hours, had to rent a big drill and sharp bit to get the job done. In addition, it took time to round up the hardware. And, of course, the grunting and cussing that invariably goes with my adventures in motor vehicle mechanics. Now, I just want to add. . .

The di$khead at Ford Motor Company who made the decision to make a 4x4 vehicle with the capability to go to out-of-way places where there is no asphalt, a vehicle with the name “Explorer”, a name that conjures up wilderness and off road adventure - AND NOT PUT A COUPLE OF TOW HOOKS ON IT!! - that guy should be made to hang a sign from his short arm at the head of a level 3 trail at Paragon that reads “DI$KHEAD WHO SAID NO TOW HOOKS FOR EXPLORERS”!

Attachments

• tow hooks 1.jpg
    tow hooks 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 672

that guy should be made to hang a sign from his short am at the head of a level 3 trail at Paragon that reads “DI$KHEAD WHO SAID NO TOW HOOKS FOR EXPLORERS”!

Well said!:D

here's how i did mine:

Attachments

• 676.jpg
    676.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 649

Originally posted by SplashMan
leebo is right, I ripped both of my tow hooks off and the bolts and the hook were not damaged at all. The frame was what gave way. The 3" strap didn't break either... I am bolting the hooks to the sides of the frame rails this time...

Sorry to revive an old post, but I am installing tow hooks and wonder if there is any problem bolting them to the sides of the frame rails instead of the bottom as mentioned above. The main reason I want to do this is that I already have one hole in the right place on each side that my bumper brackets go through (3" bl). Thanks for your ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey Digger196: I see your using washers....have you done any side pulling/angle pulling with that?

I want to do adams setup as I am sick of getting suck and the only way to get pulled out is to loop my strap around my rear bumper mounts (which caused them to bend up, if you know anyone selling the Inner brackets let me know as I have already replaced the outer ones)

My concern is side pulls.....an example was I was trying to make a 3 point on a completly snowed trail last night and ended up having the front wheels over the side of the trail and the rear's like that....would those hooks work for a close to 90 degree pull?....also how strong are they?

My other question is rear towing points....is there a way to bolt up some hooks similar to the front?....with the wheeling I do on my normal trails I know I'd be smacking a rear hitch like crazy....

This is a great post BTW....and does anyone know the part number for the Chev tow hooks for the front?

Back