Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download)

Well, I have to put my 2 cents in on this.
I would never pull anyone out of anything if they had welded tow hooks. Most 4x4 clubs don't allow tow hooks to be welded on your truck. It is not safe!
They guy that was in the passenger seat of that chevy truck that Splashman tried to pull out was VERY VERY LUCKY he didn't have that tow hook going through his head. I have seen a tow go through a raised hood, then through both the front and rear windows of a truck. It was just a good thing that the person driving made the passenger get out and away from the truck before they tried to pull him out. There are some things that you can skimp on. This is not one of them. DO IT RIGHT!!!

Please Don't Weld tow hooks to the Frame

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Splash when we get together for the next meeting you are going to have to show me what you mean about through the side. Will the hooks still be accessable? In other words will they hang down enough

Originally posted by WILL
Splash when we get together for the next meeting you are going to have to show me what you mean about through the side. Will the hooks still be accessable? In other words will they hang down enough

Stop down to Attica this Sun (2nd of Dec) and hopfully you won't have to see them in action, but you can see how I mount them. They are going to still be accessable because I am mounting them as far down on the frame rail as I can (I usually hook my tow strap up to the back before I hit the trails anyway) and since my rear bumper was raised 3" with the body lift they will be even with the bottom of the bumper... the strap may hit the bottom of the bumper a little, but not enough to hurt it.

Oh yes, the hooks are each rated at 10,000lbs, so using the Pythagorean Theorem, you can figure out the combined strength (I don't have a calculator handy to do the square root of 200,000,000 haha).

funny i thought the Pythagorean Theorem was used for finding the length of a side of a triangle..

a2 + b2 = c2
yep. that's length sides of a triangle. pull capacity is an entirely different formula, plus you'll need the angles of the triangle to do it.

I always hated math class

So......... No one ever answered the question of tow hooks attached to a brush guard or just using teh guard itself as a big "hook".:p :p :p

As much as i wish i did, i do not have a brush guard, but i'd be almost afraid to use it as a tow hook or place tow hooks on it. I'm not 100% sure how they attach to the frame, but they just seem awful flemsy to be tugging on, see what i'm saying, but like i said i don't have on so i could be way out in left field!

Happy trails!!

I am planning on getting a Manik one piece. I hope it is tough, I mean that is what I'm getting it for! Not just for looks (well that too!) but use to push stuff and as an example, frien of mine has been in 2 wrecks with his Mazda truck and mashed the other vehicles (van and Jeep Grand Cherokee [sp?] ) but only broke a bolt in one accident and slightly bent the side of the guard in the other one. Someone told me I could hit a deer with the Manik and still be ok!? Hope that is true but If it isn't strong enough to pull from How can you mount tow hooks with the guard on there?

I went with the long bolt through the top and bottom of the frame idea.
I know - the front bolt is crooked - talk about a pain in the ass to drill all the way through.
I am sure it'll get the job done.

Dead Link Removed

(I like yout Photo so Much, I saved it to my webspace, so that it will show up all the time.... CBoug76)

no pic!!!!!
Any suggestions for tow points if I get a Manik Brush guard?

I have a manik and it is not tough enough to use as a tow point or even mount a hook on it. I loosened the bolts up one time just by using the grill to bounce my truck. Best place is the frame.

SCEXPLORER Would you reccommend the Manik then? Is it even that strong? Is there a place to mount the hooks to the frame with the brush guard attached?
Blake

For a Grill Gaurd Maink is great. You can still use the same tow points with the Grill Gaurd. I'm trying to figure something out also.

if you have a manik, wrap the line around both bars that come up that have the plastic "bumper" on it. make sure you've tightened the hell out of the bolts and the bracket and yank. it'll pull the brush guard a bit out of "alignment" but it does the trick. i would definately only use this though for emergencies

i just installed towhooks and i was able to fit a wrench inside the frame of my truck i didnt need any plates or anything like that. (they really came in helpful on the trail ride i did @ paragon adventure park!)

Ok I now have the GM hooks. I don't see how I can mount them according to the instructions. My frame isn't flat, slight bumps, mabye I could make my own washer or something. I don't know how to muont these bc I have a Manik Guard and even if I take the bumper off, I don't think there will be enough room for the plate and bolts for the hooks and the bolts from the side for the guard. Anyone out there done this? Please give me some help. I don't know about drilling all the way through the frame (top to bottom) bc of the other bolts going in from the side. Hummmph such a small thing yet still frustrating.

Oh man, studying for my finals is killing me so I'm taking a break.

Anyways...I have a question for you guys. Do you really have to take the front bumper off in order to install the hooks?? I'm planning to install the hooks in a couple of weeks so I want to get as much info as I can get so I won't screw up.

Also, can I just drill another hole on the top of the frame and get a longer bolt so I don't have to fish the nut in order to tighten them? Will it weaken the bolt or the hook in any way??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean like this:

Dead Link Removed

Back