RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

How much extra rear lift did you get from the leaves? I know Skunk runs a stock driveshaft with SOA + 3 inches and never had a problem. eh all the trucks are different I suppose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much threaded body is left on your coilovers? Mine have only about an inch left on them and thats brand new from the factory.

BTW an exhaust modification is needed to put the rcd kit on a 5.0L. The kicker bar hits the pass side exhaust.

TheRookie said:
How much extra rear lift did you get from the leaves? I know Skunk runs a stock driveshaft with SOA + 3 inches and never had a problem. eh all the trucks are different I suppose.
Dude, my rear is a good 3" higher than my front...I'll take some more pics tomorrow of the rack/lower ball joint/outer TRE construction I'm doing on the truck.

I have heard a lot of people referring me to Ann Arbor Drive Shaft for custom drive shafts. I will call them on Tuesday and see what they can do for me.

We lined the driveshaft/yoke along side each other after they separated and I am honestly surprised it lasted this long without separating. I had bearly 1/2" of the yoke left!

FOR ANYONE DOING A LIFT SIMILAR TO MINE - YOU NEED A LONGER DRIVESHAFT! CHECK YOUR YOKE! I got lucky since it separated while I was stopping but if I were on the freeway with the 1/4 tank of gas I had I don't believe I would be here today to give you all this warning. My gas tank would have got a big hole in it and exploded from all the metal rubbing!
boominXplorer said:
How much threaded body is left on your coilovers? Mine have only about an inch left on them and thats brand new from the factory.

BTW an exhaust modification is needed to put the rcd kit on a 5.0L. The kicker bar hits the pass side exhaust.
Absolutly none! lol after my Deaver leaf install I had to readjust my rear view mirrors significantly cuz they were not pointed at ground level.

Does anyone know how long a 2 door 2WD X's driveshaft is? I was thinking if it is like 1-2" longer than a 4 door 4WD then it would be perfect and cheaper at a scrap yard than paying for a custom one.

Ever think of a driveshaft spacer that goes between the rear end flange and the drive shaft? I saw in a lift package one time.

Eric

I actually brought one over your place when we installed my lift. It didn't look like it needed it so I mailed it back. Now that I got these Deaver leafs on...I need to do something

I actually would rather go with a driveshaft the correct lenght instead of buying a spacer. I will call Ann Arbor Driveshft tomorrow.

Right now I'm more concerned about my truck sitting in the street with an orange sticker in the window dated May 31st which is missing the LCAs and rack! lol

Is the "check valve" really necessary in the rack? I have a boosted power steering pump and it looks like all it is doing is restricting things. I don't wanna blow a new rack tho.

I'm worried that if I do remove it, my steering will feel like I'm driving a Honda or something. I don't want to be able to turn my wheel with my tongue!

push it a few feet forward and scare off the old sticker real good. give yourself a few days. also there are a few places over in the edmore area that do driveshafts.. cant remember the names check a phonebook.

They are not the best pictures, but you get the idea...

The tubing on the stock driveshaft is 2.5" or 2.75", my new one is 3.5" :D
dcfn00322ud.jpg

Compressed...(well almost, the new DS is greasable and I did not want to push all the grease out)
dcfn00346hq.jpg

Here you can see the new spline quite nicely, I went with a 16 spline over the stock 32 spline (I believe?)
dcfn00355co.jpg

This is a shot of it extended around 3" compaired to the stock almost completely extended. I now have 5" of USABLE yoke with over an 1" to spair beyond that! Total length of the stock yoke looks to be only around 3".
dcfn00368am.jpg

Another crappy full view compairison...
dcfn00374rn.jpg

dcfn00379sr.jpg

Pics of it installed :D

dcfn00407jk.jpg

dcfn00427io.jpg

dcfn00457wj.jpg

dcfn00484ts.jpg

dcfn00530lt.jpg

what's the word?

any updates? new pics?

man,do I want one of these RCD lifts, but

they are pretty expensive,and to get them installed,I was quoted just over a grand,and I would still need to buy leafs for the rear....just too much $ for me :(

Looking for a Cheap way to lift my 92 XLT

I just joined this site to meet some people that are as crazy as me. I just got my 92 xlt not to long ago and now want to lift it but i am looking for a way to do it with out burning a hole in my back pocket if ya'll know of any lifts that were removed from my model and they want to sell let me know or if you know any good ways to jack it up for cheap i would love to hear them. :exporange

No new pics yet. I can report that the truck drives great tho with the 35s except.... FOR STEARING. I have gone thru a few pumps and my new rack is leaking :hammer:
I'm guessing the rack is leaking because of the damn pump running out of fluid. It was leaking from the shaft bearing.

I have got to figure out something else to do for steering other than a rack & pinion. I'm very interrested in learning more about this Toyota with a gearbox and inner tie rods...anyone know what truck and what years they did this in?

No new pics. I had to return my digi to Target, needed money pretty badly. Great 90 day return policy they have there!

FYI William, I probably have at least $3,500 maybe even $4,500 in this suspension already including wheels, tires, driveshaft, gears and a Tru Trac. Labor not included, everything done with the help of Eric, Mike and Scott. Can't remember what all else I spend $$$ on ATM. Most of it is in the 1st post tho.

colo_explorer, Mechanix has got a pretty nice setup on his X. Dunno how much it cost him tho...

It wasnt only toyotas that used a steering gearbox as opposed to the rack and pinion.

Find you any IFS S10 Blazer, Nissan Pickups and SUV's earlier than 2005, Toyota pickups and SUV's pre tacoma, suzuki sidekicks.... its very common to have a gearbox style steering system on an IFS truck.

Parts you will need: Gearbox, Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, Center(drag) Link, inner Tie Rods

Parts you will need to have made: Idler arm mount, steering box brace, Idler arm brace, Tie rod adjusters.

If you want to use a nissan steering box you can use Calmini's steering upgrade, and you would only have to come up with the mount for the idler arm.

From many people putting boxes in second gens for an SAS you also need to plate and sleeve the frame.

What are the other specs on your driveshaft and how much did it cost? Trying to get a feel for whether or not I should get a new shaft or use a spacer for awhile..

wat was the total lift on your truck?

What are the other specs on your driveshaft and how much did it cost? Trying to get a feel for whether or not I should get a new shaft or use a spacer for awhile..
My driveshaft was around $270 with the kick ass yoke. I don't remember the measurements but whoever you go with is going to want you to take measurements of your own truck anyways. Ann Arbor Driveshaft emailed me a diagram of how to measure the length. Since I didn't change the axle angle I measured top to bottom, bottom to top, top to top and bottom to bottom and averaged them. Probably not the best way but it worked out pretty well. I'm referring to the t-case output and diff input shaft flanges. This will make more sense when you get under your truck and go to measure.
wat was the total lift on your truck?
Never measured exactly but I'm guessing around these numbers including the tires:
Front ~ 12"
Rear ~ 15"

So Mechanix and TheRookie are you guys still out there? I wanted to come back out to Albian and go 4x4in with you but my truck has just been sitting for a long time cuz I haven't had time to install a gear box, re-allign the pass side perch and replace the heads that are blown. I'm going to start on this soon, just tryin to get the time. I know what it probably looked like but trust me I haven't gone anywhere with this thing yet, it just got put on hold. I started too many projects at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey r37 what kit did you buy from rcd since i want to make my X look like that thanks

Back