The Samurai | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Samurai

if you want pics of a cradle for the transfer let me know i did one today and i can get pics of it. or any thing else
Sure post up -- but no rush, we're still at the body/cage stage, no drivetrain work yet.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I caught the Sammy bug when I saw JDraper's build up a few years ago... I definately have the bug again. I bet Mounty could flat tow a built Sammy without even breaking a sweat :D

I caught the Sammy bug when I saw JDraper's build up a few years ago... I definately have the bug again. I bet Mounty could flat tow a built Sammy without even breaking a sweat :D

I used to flat tow my Sammy behind our '01 XLS, and it hardly knew it was there...

the 1.6 (needs a kit i think) for the 1.3 you got.
Hey Zhanx, what exactly did you mean by this? Are you talking about engine swapping for the 1.6L?

A few pictures of the cage from 2 days ago:

Front
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Rear
DSC_0078.jpg

Mounting point for the front is bolted to the base of the rock slider.
DSC_0074.jpg

Mounting point for the rear is bolted to a triangle brace between the rear cross member and the chassis.
DSC_0090.jpg

Thats four points out of the planned six. Today we finalized the welds on these four and welded the body to the cage (with some tabs to go between the body and the cage). Next time, we're going to do the two middle points and start triangulating and bracing. We also began cutting the body mounts off and tested to see if the body would lift.

Hey Zhanx, what exactly did you mean by this? Are you talking about engine swapping for the 1.6L?
righto chap your right on the money

btw does your digital clock work? if so want to part with it. it would make a friend of mine super happy to get one.

Removable cab?
Kinda.. removable with the cage if needed.

does your digital clock work? if so want to part with it. it would make a friend of mine super happy to get one.
I actually dont know where the clock is. But I'll look next time for it.

Today we removed the body from the chassis:
Copy_of_DSC_0049.jpg

Kinda.. removable with the cage if needed.

I actually dont know where the clock is. But I'll look next time for it.

Today we removed the body from the chassis:
Copy_of_DSC_0049.jpg

Wow you guys got a lot done looks good.

center of the dash between the air vents. Orangish face.

Got it -- I'll look next time.

Thats the tachometer. Whats strange is that orange needle is attached to a rotatable face and the RPM needle (white) is under that. So I dunno, maybe you can set the orange pointer to your shift point or whatever?

Nice little project :thumbsup: Is your tubing pre coated?

How are the ends of that tubing joined? Looks like you pinched them?

Oh,a nd if you ever need any more info Rookie knows more about trackers than you would ever want to. He also knows how to build them for next to nothing.

Yours has a a goofy dash, normally, above the climate control there is three circles, a vent on each side and a digital clock in the middle, almost like a cheap stick on one from pep boys.

I think yours is a 88.5 . 86-88 are the same dash, but they changed them a bit from 88.5-95

How are the ends of that tubing joined? Looks like you pinched them?Oh,a nd if you ever need any more info Rookie knows more about trackers than you would ever want to. He also knows how to build them for next to nothing.
The tubes were joined with a 45 degree mitre cut. Yeah it seems that there's a huge community for these tiny things :D Which is good!

Yours has a a goofy dash, normally, above the climate control there is three circles, a vent on each side and a digital clock in the middle, almost like a cheap stick on one from pep boys. I think yours is a 88.5 . 86-88 are the same dash, but they changed them a bit from 88.5-95
Yeah this is an '88 so could be that '88.5 you're talking about.

We built a cage for my dad's zuk at our cage building party, I'll take some pic's for ya if you want;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We built a cage for my dad's zuk at our cage building party, I'll take some pic's for ya if you want;)
Post em up please!

Back