The Samurai | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Samurai

Nothing was done today to the Samy, it was too good of a day to spend sweating away behind a welder.

But tomorrow we pick up a set of YJ leaves to swap in and then we can finalize and begin construction of the spring hangers and shackles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing was done today to the Samy, it was too good of a day to spend sweating away behind a welder.

But tomorrow we pick up a set of YJ leaves to swap in and then we can finalize and begin construction of the spring hangers and shackles.

Your gonna love the ride on those.. Its way better than shackles on a stock soa. You need to ride on both so you can know the difference. Yea yours is the 88.5 which the change the dash.. oh well.

I spend my day trying to get the wiring finished on the 22re swap in my buddies sammy. That and watching him weld recenters into his hummer wheels crooked. :eek:

Your gonna love the ride on those.. Its way better than shackles on a stock soa. You need to ride on both so you can know the difference.
I have driven this Sammy off-road for about 30 mins before we started cutting it up, and yeah it was very rough. Maybe I'm just used to my Explorer's suspension but man the suspension was very stiff. I can't wait to see how it feels with the YJs.

I heard the YJ leaves are about 6" longer, is that true?

The YJ springs are scary on the street, I drove my dad's arond right after we put them on and everything is like a delayed reaction, I bet it flex's off road great though:thumbsup: ;)

He has 2, one is a HT, with 33's and we'll be putting a Ford 3.0 in, and the other is a conv. that we'll go crazy with, air shocks, 44/9in or something and maybe a 4.0 from a sploder

The YJ springs are scary on the street, I drove my dad's arond right after we put them on and everything is like a delayed reaction, I bet it flex's off road great though:thumbsup: ;)
We've thought about that a little bit and I think were going to be adding an anti-sway bar or something if its too scary.

I have a buddy that i am pretty sure has yj springs on his. It is the yellow one i posted up in a diffrent thread if you seen it.

I have a buddy that i am pretty sure has yj springs on his. It is the yellow one i posted up in a diffrent thread if you seen it.
Sorry I didnt see that one, post up if you have it.

Here is the HT of my dad's from his avatar (zukman)

image.php

here's the conv. he has...it's just sitting now.
12287zuk_2.jpg

Here you go. 33's with a 3inch body lift. It has jeep springs and im pretty sure there the yj springs ill ask him. It may come up for sale here soon.

Attachments

• Dusty-Sami.jpg
    Dusty-Sami.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • dustys-sami-2.jpg
    dustys-sami-2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 981

Thanks for the pics guys!!!

Burns: Oh yeah, I remember that Zuk.

Good luck with the Samurai Mr. Senator.

Thanks! you guys have been a great help so far!

If you do go with the yj springs there really not to bad. They are pretty wishy on the road but not to bad. No worse than anyother lifted truck. Cant expect it to react like stock.

I still want air shocks...ha ha carry on with normal talk

No matter what you do, put a trac bar in the front. Makes a HUGE difference in the driveability of SOA Sammies...I drove mine without one for about 1 week, then fabbed one up....night and day difference. Without it, I was constantly sawing on the wheel to keep it going straight, and off camber wheeling was an exercise in pucker factor (never knew where the nose was gonna go). After it was installed it was as close to being on rails as a Sammy can be....Worth every penny!!

Will do Draper -- thanks!

Shackle hangers for the YJ leaves (it'll be braced this week)

DSC_0069.jpg

We also broke down the rear axle, cleaned it and plated up the bottom of the housing

DSC_0071.jpg

I hope that jack stand behind the shackles is just there for looks :eek:

The Obama Fab is sweet. :cool:
Thanks :D I'm slowly getting the hang of this wire-fed welder.

I hope that jack stand behind the shackles is just there for looks :eek:
Ahaha dont worry about that jack stand, the entire rear of the frame rail can be picked up with one hand. Even if it fell on me while under there, I dont think there'd be a problem. Thats why these things are so amazing on the trial, the'yre ultra light!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We also broke down the rear axle, cleaned it and plated up the bottom of the housing

DSC_0071.jpg

a little overkill dont ya think? :eek: you just double the weight of your sammy

Back