• Register Today It's free!

Black out my Explorer?

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I am tired of the way my 02 Limited looks. It has a luxury car look to it and I want something more rugged. I have been thinking of painting the grill black and then doing the same for the bumpers, wheel flares and side cladding. Right now the car is white and the trim is a light silver. I wonder how it would look?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ex's look great all blacked out.
Normally I've seen them stock height of lowered, but it would be cool to see one jacked, and blacked out. :thumbsup:

here's mine blacked out

006.jpg

That looks great jutgin, but how can you possibly see at night? Normally the headlights barely put out an adequate amount of light. Having them blacked out must be terrible. Or am I wrong?

That looks great jutgin, but how can you possibly see at night? Normally the headlights barely put out an adequate amount of light. Having them blacked out must be terrible. Or am I wrong?

Yes you are right, they barely put out enough light. I have to keep them on high beams. I shouldnt have went so dark, luckily they have started to fade some. Hopefully they will fade more. Just waiting to get pulled over now.......
I love the look though!

Jutgin, did you do that yourself? If so did you pull the trim off to paint it or did you just tape off around it? Is that semi gloss black or flat black? I can get it done cheap by a professional but it would quick and easier to do it with a spray can.

Jutgin, did you do that yourself? If so did you pull the trim off to paint it or did you just tape off around it? Is that semi gloss black or flat black? I can get it done cheap by a professional but it would quick and easier to do it with a spray can.

I just sprayed it myself with Krylon fusion. Then a clear coat. I taped it all off with blue painters tape and newspaper. I think the Krylon fusion (atleast in black) only comes in flat or Satin and I used the Satin.
Not hard at all, few hours on a Saturday. Sticks really well to plastic.

I just sprayed it myself with Krylon fusion. Then a clear coat. I taped it all off with blue painters tape and newspaper. I think the Krylon fusion (atleast in black) only comes in flat or Satin and I used the Satin.

How many cans did it take? What did you do to prep the surface for the paint? Did you sand it or just clean it good?

How many cans did it take? What did you do to prep the surface for the paint? Did you sand it or just clean it good?

I just cleaned it really well. I didnt want to sand afraid that you could see the scruffed marks on the plastic after painted.
I cant really rememer how many cans, I didnt do it all at once so I kinda lost track. If you're not painting the rims like I did probably 4 or 5 cans plus 1 can of clear coat.

Krylon Fusion DOES come in gloss black.

If you are going for a "rugged" look, I think one of the major things is having aggressive tires. Doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference in overall appearance, but it does. Plus, it helps it be more "capable":D

jutgin-if you want to "lighten up" your headlights, you can try some abrasive polish, might help take some of the paint off. Just put it on, let it sit for a little while, and buff it off. If nothing else, it will probably make it a little glossier:D

I'm almost done blacking mine out, I love it.

blacking mine out one step at a time see CCr's X project thread

jutgin so do ur headlights look black at night

jutgin so do ur headlights look black at night

Well with the lights on they look kinda tinted, it's not all the way black ofcourse but they are obviously modified. Not the bright white you would expect from a headlight.

If you are going for a "rugged" look, I think one of the major things is having aggressive tires. Doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference in overall appearance, but it does. Plus, it helps it be more "capable":D

jutgin-if you want to "lighten up" your headlights, you can try some abrasive polish, might help take some of the paint off. Just put it on, let it sit for a little while, and buff it off. If nothing else, it will probably make it a little glossier:D

This abrasive polish is normally for cars?

I just cleaned it really well. I didnt want to sand afraid that you could see the scruffed marks on the plastic after painted.
I cant really rememer how many cans, I didnt do it all at once so I kinda lost track. If you're not painting the rims like I did probably 4 or 5 cans plus 1 can of clear coat.

I will probably not do the rims. I have never cared for black rims. To me they look like they are really dirty with brake dust. Just a personal preference, not knocking yours in any way.

Do you think the clear is really needed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blacking mine out one step at a time see CCr's X project thread

Got a link to it? I can not find it by using search.

Back