Black out my Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black out my Explorer?

I will probably not do the rims. I have never cared for black rims. To me they look like they are really dirty with brake dust. Just a personal preference, not knocking yours in any way.

Do you think the clear is really needed?

I'm not sure if its really needed or not, I've never done it without it. It sticks to plastic really well so seems like it wouldnt be absolutely needed. But I htink its a good thing just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad does paint and body work so I may just get him to do it. He will do it for me for free all I have to do is buy the paint. It will just take longer for him to do it.

jutgin do u got dual or single flowmaster on ur eddie

So let me get this straight jutgin, you used paint on your headlights? Seems crazy to me. Why didn't you use NiteShades. More of a tint. Not paint.

http://www.jegs.com/i/VHT/322/SP999/10002/-1

Thelt, I would highly reccomend this over painting your headlights. Good luck with the popo either way!

Krylon Fusion though is made for sticking to everything, especially plastic, thus the name. I use it on all my faded trim parts on all my cars and it looks great.

So let me get this straight jutgin, you used paint on your headlights? Seems crazy to me. Why didn't you use NiteShades. More of a tint. Not paint.

http://www.jegs.com/i/VHT/322/SP999/10002/-1

Thelt, I would highly reccomend this over painting your headlights. Good luck with the popo either way!

Krylon Fusion though is made for sticking to everything, especially plastic, thus the name. I use it on all my faded trim parts on all my cars and it looks great.

yea I used night shades on my lights, Krylon on the trim and wheels.

yea I used night shades on my lights, Krylon on the trim and wheels.

Man you had me confused. I was like, He painted his headlights? Gotcha. Yeah, it doesn't take much more than a light coat with NiteShades. Looks good though.

Well I did my grill today with a spray can. It is a subtle thing but I like it better.

pic?

55 Watt HID kits do the trick for smoked headlights! I even have my windshield tinted 30% and my headlights smoked and can see fine. Only problems are on roads with NO light whatsoever and no other traffic just pitch black. Just gotta pay attention a little more.

100_3171.jpg

Also Jutgin do yours ever give a gold tint out like this in sunlight? Mine do it and it annoys the crap out of me its so ugly.

101_3083.jpg

Also Jutgin do yours ever give a gold tint out like this in sunlight? Mine do it and it annoys the crap out of me its so ugly.

101_3083.jpg

No but I left mine flat, how did u get urs shiney?

I went ahead and painted my bumpers and trim black. I need to touch it up around the wheel arches. It is hard to get the tape completely uniform in that area. Other than that though I am pretty happy with it. If you look close you can tell it is an amateur job but once it gets dirty it wont really matter. I will try to post some pics later today.

Now I have to decide what I want to do about lifting it with RoadBully's spacers. I am not sure if I want to lift the whole thing or just level it. I should be able to run 265s with just the leveling. Even if I do 3 up front and 1 in the back I can not run 285s so it might make more sense to just level it. That way I am putting less strain on the control arms.

I went ahead and painted my bumpers and trim black. I need to touch it up around the wheel arches. It is hard to get the tape completely uniform in that area. Other than that though I am pretty happy with it. If you look close you can tell it is an amateur job but once it gets dirty it wont really matter. I will try to post some pics later today.

Now I have to decide what I want to do about lifting it with RoadBully's spacers. I am not sure if I want to lift the whole thing or just level it. I should be able to run 265s with just the leveling. Even if I do 3 up front and 1 in the back I can not run 285s so it might make more sense to just level it. That way I am putting less strain on the control arms.

I agree, you should just level it and maybe do the Body lift later if you want 285's. It always looks better level anyways, but then again 3 up front and 1 in the rear would level it and give you maximum lift.

I agree, you should just level it and maybe do the Body lift later if you want 285's. It always looks better level anyways, but then again 3 up front and 1 in the rear would level it and give you maximum lift.

From what I have read on here going with 3 up front and 1 in the back will not allow be to put on any larger tires than just going with 2 up front. Anyone know if that is correct?

From what I have read on here going with 3 up front and 1 in the back will not allow be to put on any larger tires than just going with 2 up front. Anyone know if that is correct?

That's correct.
You'd just be higher.
If you want to go with 285's I'd recommend 3" front, 2" rear, and a 3" body lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to see if I can get my local tire dealer to put them on for me. If he is willing to do it without gouging me I will probably get the 2" up front. I think this would be a little too much for me to try at home.

Back