How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to thank you for this instruction!
This is the best instruction and set of pictures I have ever used!
It took about 4.5 hrs to complete the job.
I contacted my local dealer and they said it would be over $1000 to repair this problem.
I appreciate this forum and input on common issues from my fellow ford owners!
Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

You're welcome!! Saving cash is always a good thing! Glad I could help. :D

BigRondo, I am on a couple other forums because I have multiple cars, this is the best writeup I have seen anywhere. Question on this - I need to make sure I that this is the fix for the problem I have. I have a 2002 Explorer, there is not a noticeable clicking or banging as others have said, but the problem is that with the temp setting fully on heat, the air that comes out alternates between hot and cool by itself - is the actuator replacement the cure for this? thanks in advance

BigRondo, I am on a couple other forums because I have multiple cars, this is the best writeup I have seen anywhere. Question on this - I need to make sure I that this is the fix for the problem I have. I have a 2002 Explorer, there is not a noticeable clicking or banging as others have said, but the problem is that with the temp setting fully on heat, the air that comes out alternates between hot and cool by itself - is the actuator replacement the cure for this? thanks in advance

Let me start by welcoming you to the forum. :salute:

Todd, thank you for your kind words. :D

Typically, the actuator issue is accompanied by the tell tale clicking.
I don't recall reading anything about alternating temp being related to the actuator.
I would do a search for "blend door" or "no heat" and see what you come up with.
You could also start your own thread explaining your problem and those with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Good luck with the fix, keep us posted. :biggthump

I will do some searching and more diagnosing, also will listen for the clicking, my wife drives this primarily, I am going by her word on the no-clicking. I will let you know what I come up with, and thanks again

I will do some searching and more diagnosing, also will listen for the clicking, my wife drives this primarily, I am going by her word on the no-clicking. I will let you know what I come up with, and thanks again

No problem, glad I could help! :cool:

Great article. Saved me a lot of trial and error time. I was able to do this without cutting. Thanks again.

Great article. Saved me a lot of trial and error time. I was able to do this without cutting. Thanks again.

Welcome aboard. :salute:

Glad I could help out!!

thank you so much for this we were able to find exactly where it was even when we looked inside car books we couldnt find where it was located at

thank you so much for this we were able to find exactly where it was even when we looked inside car books we couldnt find where it was located at

Welcome to the forum. :salute:

Glad you found the write-up helpful!! :)

:D:D This was a bad ass post!!! I went and bought a 8mm ratchet boxed wrench for $8 at sears and was able to get the part out in about 1 hour WITHOUT doing any cutting of the dash. Will be getting the part this weekend and putting it in.

This was THE best post on this subject I've seen!!!

Too bad I will probably have to pull the dash at some point anyway to replace the recirc air flapper behind the glove box to stop the wind tunnel entering the passenger side. :( BUT I finally have heat to combat it with.

again EXCELLENT POST!!

:D:D This was a bad ass post!!! I went and bought a 8mm ratchet boxed wrench for $8 at sears and was able to get the part out in about 1 hour WITHOUT doing any cutting of the dash. Will be getting the part this weekend and putting it in.

This was THE best post on this subject I've seen!!!

Too bad I will probably have to pull the dash at some point anyway to replace the recirc air flapper behind the glove box to stop the wind tunnel entering the passenger side. :( BUT I finally have heat to combat it with.

again EXCELLENT POST!!

Welcome to the forum! :salute:

Glad to help. I recommend getting the actuator at the dealership since some have had issues with the aftermarket actuators. Enjoy the heat! :fire:

Loved the step by step!

You just saved me $900! Thanks for the pics, they helped out amazingly. I have an 04, on my car most of the 8mm screws were 10mm just so everyone knows.

You just saved me $900! Thanks for the pics, they helped out amazingly. I have an 04, on my car most of the 8mm screws were 10mm just so everyone knows.

No problem. ;) Glad you got it fixed! Enjoy the heat. :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it's been said a hundred times but thanks for the great instructions BigRondo, they made the job a sinch, easily done in less than 2 hours.
I was concerned that my blend door might be bad as well but I found that by removing the actuator shaft form the old actuator and inserting it into the blend door and moving it around by hand I was able to ***** the condition of the door easily.

Back