• Register Today It's free!

Why did you buy

haphop

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000XLT 5.0
Why did you buy your Explorer vs the competition? Die hard Ford owner, price, styling etc. Are still happy with it. How many miles?

I'm in the market for a new mid size suv but all the new models appear to be just cars with big tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you buy your Explorer vs the competition?

...all the new models appear to be just cars with big tires.

We wanted an AWD drive car, with big tires. We didn't want something on a frame, or something RWD centric, or V8 powered, or that drove and handled like a truck. We couldn't care less about lifting it, off roading it, or towing with it.

This generation is a refreshing change from previous truck based models.

2011 XLT, V6, 4WD, 12K miles, MFT.

Bought it for a combination of cargo/people capacity, AWD, fuel mileage and towing.

We bought ours based on roominess, comfort (both interior and while driving), looks, and mileage. We also liked all of the gadgets, and continue to enjoy them. It's been a great car so far at 6000 miles.

I was looking to downsize from an Expedition but I still needed to seat 7 and wanted better gas mileage than the Expedition. I really liked the looks of the Explorer along with the gadgets it offered. It met my primary criteria for seating and mileage.

I read a newspaper article on the new Explorer saying it was no longer on a truck frame but still offered AWD. That and a coloured picture of the interior with the ambient lighting convinced me that it was for me. What sealed the deal was that a friend of mine was standing next to me and when I expressed my interest in the EX, he said he would take my current vehicle. That vehicle was a 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited with 2 1/2 years left on a 4 year lease. He took over the lease and gave me back $5000 of my initial $10,000 downpayment.
I never shopped around and have absolutely no regrets. BTW, the same person also bought my '06 Highlander at lease end.

You don't really say what you are looking for in a 'mid sized' SUV so it is difficult for the members to say if this Explorer would meet your needs.

Peter

Best looking/styling, seats 7, fuel mileage, American Made, didn't take any bailout money. In that order.

I traded in my Nissan Murano (which I did really love) for the Explorer because of the offer of a 3rd row seat and was stylish. I loved my Murano because it handled like a car, and after test driving and researching the Explorer, I felt that it handled just as nice. I was back and forth between a Pilot and an Explorer, but one of the things that sold me was the looks of the Ex. It has such smooth lines, the Pilot served to be too "square" for me. Also, my husband's family is a long time Ford family...(of course, he 'tried' to stay neutral in my decision making process) but I felt it was the right choice for us. It's a beautiful ride and I feel the performance was just what I was looking for! Can't wait until mine gets here so I can really enjoy it! Good luck! I think the Ex is a great vehicle!

Best looking/styling, seats 7, fuel mileage, American Made, didn't take any bailout money. In that order.

baahaha. +1 for not needing bailouts.

I am pleased with my explorer, but will be trading it soon at lease end because my needs have changed to needing an f-150.

Also a die hard ford. i couldnt drive anything else.

Why? Because I will push a Ford before I will drive any stinking Government Motors(GM) vehicle.You can say I am a diehard Ford fan. OK, real reason for the Explorer is that is what the wife wanted and when wife is happy, I am happy. 10k miles so far and expecting at least 200k trouble free miles from this Ford just as all the other Fords I have owned in the past.;)

I bought the Explorer because it has the space we needed for my growing family. Car seats these days are huge and with 2 kids and a planned third child, we are likely to need a third row. Therefore we focused on 3 row SUVs and specifically looked at ones with a second row pass through. The Explorer and the Acadia were the main choices, but for just a bit more money, I could get a fully loaded Explorer which had WAY more features than the Acadia and the Ex looked nicer too!

We also recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which doesn't have a third row, but can tightly fit three carseats in the back seat) and for various reasons I like the Explorer better.

I bought it after 35 years of wuropean luxury cars and extremely relaible japanese base products. Being concerned aout the economy, the buyout that was issued GM and Fiat, I felt ford took a bold step in selling off brands, ( volvo, jag and land rover) retooling thier factorys, closing some distribution channels and cross brand platforms ( mercury) next I feel they took a reactive and focused position on re-energizing their brand across all platforms & business units.........

that said, as anew carbuyng consumer, they deserved a look from me and quite honestly I thought the explorer was areal nice upgrade to its previous versions. so I bought it and have not experinced any of the issues that some have mentioned on this site

Ford Canada #1 for June

Ford of Canada again the top vehicle seller in Canada for the month of June easily outpacing second place Chrysler by a wide margin. GM sales fell and it placed third.

Peter

I was previously driving an 07 Yukon Denali, so I was in the market to downsize to another vehicle with better gas mileage that was American made. I will never buy a foreign car. I have owned Ford's in the past, so I decided to give them a first look. Once I went to the dealership and saw the Explorer in person, I was sold.

Besides the awesome looks and interior, I really loved the features, especially the ambient lighting and the interface on the navigation. The navigation maps on Chevy and GMC vehicles are pretty generic looking. I was sold also after the salesman gave me a demo of the MFT system.

I'm coming close to 5,000 miles and I'd have to say my Explorer is my favorite SUV I have ever owned. I definitely will be sticking with Ford vehicles for a while.

I bought mine because my last truck was 16 years old and on it's last legs.

I also like the styling and mpg for an suv.

Price vs features helped, when gmc is 1000 to 2000 bucks higher for the same baic features on compairable suv's.

This is the first Ford I have owned but not the first Ford I have driven. I learned to drive using my grand dad's fifties ventage ford truck when I was 10 and could reach the peddles.I had fun learning in a cow pasture where the only things I could hit was cows and fence posts.

Brother had two said he loved them but hated the newer body styling. Purposely got an 01 sport. wanted 4wd (firebirds and snow don't mix well) and the price was right. 72000 miles (96500ish as of yesterday)

Brother had two said he loved them but hated the newer body styling. Purposely got an 01 sport. wanted 4wd (firebirds and snow don't mix well) and the price was right. 72000 miles (96500ish as of yesterday)

I guess you didn't notice this was in the '11 and up forum....

Hmmmmm, why did I order the 2013 Explorer? Let me count the ways…

(1.) The aesthetics! (2.) Equipment group 302A - park assist, adaptive cruise, collision warning / brake support, lane keeping, blind spot warnings, cross-traffic warning, etc. It’s difficult to find all that tech stuf in the competition , if and when you do, it is $$$ more. (3.) Intel key w/ push-button start (4.) Three LCD screens - the big 8” one in the center is great with the nav & moving back-up camera guide lines when reversing . (5.) Ambient lighting is unbelievable at night (6.) Power pedals & power tilt / telescoping wheel that retract when shutting off. (7.) I even like the voice activated SYNC functions, (still learning how to handle Samantha)! (8.) Super comfortable leather (9.) Quiet, firm feeling ride & handling. This puppy feels substantial. (10.) Those 20” wheels . (11.) Good build quality - NO “tin roof” noise, no poorly aligned dash-to-door problems, no A-pillar noise, no rear hatch alignment glitches. (12.) Beautifully applied white platinum metallic tri-coat ! (13) Hidden trailer tow pkg. (14.) Convenient power liftgate. (15.) Huge dual moon roof - what a view! (16.) Cool 4wd knob on console. (17.) Made in good ‘ole Chicago, USA.

We’re still in the “honeymoon” period with “Casper” and will stay in touch as the miles accumulate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmmm, why did I order the 2013 Explorer? Let me count the ways…

(1.) The aesthetics! (2.) Equipment group 302A - park assist, adaptive cruise, collision warning / brake support, lane keeping, blind spot warnings, cross-traffic warning, etc. It’s difficult to find all that tech stuf in the competition , if and when you do, it is $$$ more. (3.) Intel key w/ push-button start (4.) Three LCD screens - the big 8” one in the center is great with the nav & moving back-up camera guide lines when reversing . (5.) Ambient lighting is unbelievable at night (6.) Power pedals & power tilt / telescoping wheel that retract when shutting off. (7.) I even like the voice activated SYNC functions, (still learning how to handle Samantha)! (8.) Super comfortable leather (9.) Quiet, firm feeling ride & handling. This puppy feels substantial. (10.) Those 20” wheels . (11.) Good build quality - NO “tin roof” noise, no poorly aligned dash-to-door problems, no A-pillar noise, no rear hatch alignment glitches. (12.) Beautifully applied white platinum metallic tri-coat ! (13) Hidden trailer tow pkg. (14.) Convenient power liftgate. (15.) Huge dual moon roof - what a view! (16.) Cool 4wd knob on console. (17.) Made in good ‘ole Chicago, USA.

We’re still in the “honeymoon” period with “Casper” and will stay in touch as the miles accumulate.

Ditto, except change the name to "Storm Trooper"..... Also add the powerfold buckets and console in the second row, the powerfold third row, the automatic high beams, the rain sensing wipers, heated and cooled seats, the remote start, the iPad/iPhone compatibility, the wi-fi set-up, the constant head turning as you drive by, the rear temperature controls and in roof climate control, the soft touch dash and door surfaces, HID headlights, cupholders everywhere, storage galore, quiet cabin, privacy glass in back two rows...... Etc, etc, etc..... LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Also add the wife (a Toyota girl) drove it and kept saying " I can't believe this is a Ford", "what a beautiful vehicle", and several similar phrases...... She had a HUGE role in the decision to get it. One caught her eye and led us to go for a ride in one as a family. She loves it even more now that we own it and she still can't believe there is a Ford in our driveway (and she is happy there is one)....

Back