Oil Change interval | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

When the oil life monitor told me to. IIRC it was 8,500 or so miles.

Beware, the uneducated, pseudo-engineer "car guys" will be along shortly telling you to get rid of the factory fill @ 500 - 1,000 miles for "peace of mind" or "its good insurance". Ignore them....

Enjoy...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just wanted to know when you all got your first oil change???

Changed mine at 1400 and very happy. Your car, your money, do what makes YOU happy.

When you or whom ever is changing it pay attention to the color of the oil coming out. I saw what I saw and I am happy I did. Couldn't care less about what the people "in the know", "who trusts Ford" or the "I have a plan to save the planet" think.

Most reputable engine builders will tell you to at least change the filter at or between 500 to 1000 miles to check for any wear issues. I change mine at or around 1k miles on all my new vehicles just for piece of mind. If I were leasing it would get changed when the warining light told me to.

I usally change mine when the %indicator gets to around 30% which us usally around 5000 to 5500 miles. All modern oils IMO are good, some better than others, but so long as you are changing it is the main thing. I personally use MOBIL 1 but thats just my personal preference as I have never had any issues and Ive run it in all my vehciles for years. I also like CASTROL, but Im also a big John Force fan!

Come on

Most reputable engine builders will tell you to at least change the filter at or between 500 to 1000 miles ...

Are there no reputable engine builders at Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan? How about BMW, they build the best cars? Their cars go 15000+ miles between oil changes. Why don't they recommend what you suggest? Porsche? Not talking race/track cars, normal use cars. Maybe they secretly believe changing the factory filter at 500-1000 is good but the lawyers and bean counters force them to keep their mouths shut. We'll never know until an engineer from one of the car companies, hopefully Ford, who builds MODERN, HIGH TECH, ADVANCED engines for everyday use, joins this forum and fills us in. Being an engineer I trust my fellow engineers, until I see some science that proves otherwise.

Just like religion and politics, people have their opinions and nothing anyone else says can make them do it differently from when they had their first beater.

Are there no reputable engine builders at Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan? How about BMW, they build the best cars? Their cars go 15000+ miles between oil changes. Why don't they recommend what you suggest? Porsche? Not talking race/track cars, normal use cars. Maybe they secretly believe changing the factory filter at 500-1000 is good but the lawyers and bean counters force them to keep their mouths shut. We'll never know until an engineer from one of the car companies, hopefully Ford, who builds MODERN, HIGH TECH, ADVANCED engines for everyday use, joins this forum and fills us in. Being an engineer I trust my fellow engineers, until I see some science that proves otherwise.

Just like religion and politics, people have their opinions and nothing anyone else says can make them do it differently from when they had their first beater.

So sorry to offend you your hiness with such an (non engineering response). The last engine I purchased costs more,than the explorer your driving. It was just over 50k and was built by John Kaase. it is a 700 ci ford for my 10.5 inch tire outlaw mustang. My previous outlaw car was a 68 camaro with a 698 BB chevy from Gene Fulton, N0S motor btw. Look these guys up I think you'll find them to be reputable engine builders. If you don't then call them up and let them them know how great an engineer you are and how stupid they are.

Now in my previous post I stated my opinion for what I do with daily drivers as my race engines require a lot more. Other than it costs me about 15k a year just to have it freshened up.

To the original poster, change your oil however, whenever, and with what ever you like. Hell, listen to me or this jackass, doesn't matter to me.

I'm at about 79,000 miles right now. Did the following oil changes:

1,000ish miles
5,000ish miles
5,000ish miles
Now I do at about the 7,500ish mark

All full synthetic. Currently running Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel.

I don't run Blackstone UOA's (used oil analysis) in the Explorer, but I do in my Porsches (993 Turbo and Boxster S). As do my friends. In the real world experience, the early oil change proves to be a smart move. Being that the Explorer oil change only costs about $75 makes the decision that much easier vs the $300ish for the toys. To each their own.

I have had my Explorer for 27 months and have 'piled' up almost 8,700 miles.
I have had 4 oil changes done in that time frame. I do a lot of short trips 5 - 10 minutes so the engine doesn't always get up to full operating temperature. Before the last service, I checked my oil life indicator and I believe it was at 54%. I faithfully change the oil and have the vehicle serviced at the dealership every 6 month using the regular Motorcraft 5W-20 Super Premium oil as recommended in the Owner's Guide.
BTW mine is a 48 month lease.

Peter

I usally change mine when the %indicator gets to around 30% which us usally around 5000 to 5500 miles.

From what I undersand the indicator bases itself off of driving habits and such, but not a real oil analisys.

Curious as to what your driving is to get to 30% at 5000-5500 miles.
My normal driving is 75 miles per day in Altanta rush hour... I'd say about 20% is light traffic surface roads abd the rest stop and go. Mine at 5000miles is at 50%. I though the stop and go would be rough on it and get it to calculate a quicker change for me.

For the OP, i had mine changed at the dealer at 5000 miles first... Not ready for a 2nd yet. $40 for "The Works".

For what its worth, my 7.3 Powerstroke Trubo Diesel has had 5000 mile changes over its 204,000 mile life with regular Shell Rotella-T 15w40 dinasour oil oil (non-synthetic). No oil issues on it and its hard on oil because of the oil actuated injecton system and oil cooled turbo. Blackstone always tells me that my il is fine and I should be looking at extended change intervals over my 5000 routine.

Curious as to what your driving is to get to 30% at 5000-5500 miles.My normal driving is 75 miles per day in Altanta rush hour... I'd say about 20% is light traffic surface roads abd the rest stop and go. Mine at 5000miles is at 50%. I though the stop and go would be rough on it and get it to calculate a quicker change for me.[/B]

First I live in the mountains, second the truck has a boat behind it 50-60% of the time. It's not my daily driver either. Also 30% was just an generality, it's usually high 30's to mid 40's. to me it's a piece of mind not a scientific analysis like some folks.

Hell I've seen a guy run the cheapest crap 2 stroke oil in a 17k 300 hp mercury outboard. I asked him why he would run such cheap oil and he stated that it was TCW3 rated and would be fine. Well he ran it (not to my advice) and within less than a year of being out of warranty it through two rods. Engine analysis after the fact resulted in excessive carbon and a lack or proper maintenance. So you see I'd prefer the piece of mind no knowing my cheap ass didn't blow up that expensive of a motor due to being a cheap ass and listening to some engineer saying that any TCW 3 rated oil will be fine.

When I am doing my changes at the 7,500ish mile mark, I still have about 20% remaining on the Oil Life Indicator. So, 10,000 miles is very do-able.

my 7.3 Powerstroke Trubo Diesel has had 5000 mile changes over its 204,000 mile life with regular Shell Rotella-T 15w40 dinasour oil oil (non-synthetic).

That's a great oil.

First I live in the mountains, second the truck has a boat behind it 50-60% of the time.

I love how the truck and the Oil Life Indicator know that you are towing and driving in mountains. Very smart system. Good job Ford.

I am an able bodied male. I change it myself.
Good for you, there are others that do that as well. :thumbsup:
I can't be bothered with doing it myself. For $35.90 I get the dealer to change the oil, install a new oil filter, do an alignment check plus a 99 point inspection. Then they wash and dry the vehicle (no charge) and the service is recorded in their system in case of any future warranty issues. All the while I get to drink all the free coffee I want, spend time with my salesman and check out the showroom cars. I also don't have to dispose of anything, except, perhaps later, some of the coffee I drank. :D

Peter

I love how the truck and the Oil Life Indicator know that you are towing and driving in mountains. Very smart system. Good job Ford.

No but it knows that your increasing your heat cycles and rpms due to pulling a boat through the hilly terain which is how the system calculates when to change it.

Are you even aware of how this is calculated??

Heat cycles, time, and rpms. The last I checked pulling a load through the mountains might effect this somewhat.

I wonder how much the monitor is accurate myself, but still think it's better then blind mileage intervals. I suspect that most of the calculations are biased to engine load more then anything else. Would be interesting to see how it comes up with the rate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I wouldnt go over 6K reguardless of what the oil life indicator says. I've seen the inside of a Mercedes engine I owned that went 10K between and it was filthy inside. Loads of build up in the OHC and valley areas. I bought the car with 70K on it and at just over 100K we had a really bad low end tick and had to pull the motor and refreshen it. I was amazed at how dirty the inside of the motor was with oil build up.

Back