Oil Change interval | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

This Thread, and for that matter the whole Forum is such a Hoot....just plain laughable.......Does anybody really know what they are talking about? ......best regards Plum
I do get some enjoyment from reading some posts but I find the majority are very sincere if the questions asked and answers given. There are quite a few very knowledgeable contributors to this Forum and many owners have been helped thanks to their fellow members. This forum exists so that assistance can be provided to those that seek it. While it is true that the answers to some of the questions can be found simply by reading the Owner's Guide, it does not always provide an adequate explanation. It is unfortunate that we all aren't experts in the automotive field but we do try to do our best to learn and help others without criticism.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I won't comment on some of the other stuff on here but.....

First oil change was done at 500 miles. I am a little **** about my vehicles and I plan to keep them. I have always changed my own oil to keep costs down, only use Mobile 1 full synthetic and Purolator Pure one filters. Our 2002 Jeep Liberty we bought new now has 210K miles, and besides a few minor things it still looks and runs great. I have always changed the oil at 500 miles on new cars and I didn't see any metal in the oil like I saw with my S-10, any of my Jeeps or my Harley. The oil was very dark, almost black which surprised me since the only other time I remember seeing this was on the air cooled Harley.

I'm no expert so this is just my story, but I had the break in oil changed at 5k miles to coincide with a tire rotation and all is well.

I had it done at the dealer and they put one of those reminder stickers on the window that says next change 68,000 miles! I'll do the math, that's 63,000 miles between oil changes. :eek:

I'm no expert so this is just my story, but I had the break in oil changed at 5k miles to coincide with a tire rotation and all is well.

I had it done at the dealer and they put one of those reminder stickers on the window that says next change 68,000 miles! I'll do the math, that's 63,000 miles between oil changes. :eek:
That must be some super fine oil they put in!:D Maybe next time just ask for the sticker and do your own writing.
I get mine changed every 6 months and manage to get the October one done when I get the Winter tires put on. That way I don't get charged extra for that because they treat it as a tire rotation which is part of the service. They also put one of those stickers on the windshield but I never achieve the mileage they put on it in 6 months. I've had 3 oil changes done and the last one in October was done with just under 7000 miles on the odometer.

Peter

Just an FYI. Your truck did not, does not, have a "break-in" oil in her. It's just oil. In the new Explorer, it was a blended oil from the factory, per OEM specs.

And don't let them put stickers on your new whip. Gosh, I hate stickers!:)

Just an FYI. Your truck did not, does not, have a "break-in" oil in her. It's just oil. In the new Explorer, it was a blended oil from the factory, per OEM specs.
Blended oil is for U.S. Explorers only as per the Owner's Guide. Don't ask me why.:dunno: Recommended for Canadian models is Super Premium oil or full synthetic.

Peter

1st oil change question

Getting ready for my first oil change at 1000 mi.
My question is Ford recommends 5-20 oil all my other vehicles stated to use
5-30 oil in hotter climate ie Florida or towing conditions.
I wanted to go with a 5-30 Mobile 1 for my first change does anyone think this would be a problem owner manual does not give any other oil recommendation .
Do they recommend a lesser weight oil for mpg ?

Getting ready for my first oil change at 1000 mi.
My question is Ford recommends 5-20 oil all my other vehicles stated to use
I wanted to go with a 5-30 Mobile 1 for my first change does anyone think this would be a problem owner manual does not give any other oil recommendation .
Do they recommend a lesser weight oil for mpg ?
Like TexasExplorer3 I change the oil using the 5000 mile (8000 km) or 6 month routine.
It has always been the time that comes first since I'm just coming up to 8000 miles and 2 years. I know that some owners like to get an early change done so that is up to you.
I would stick with the manufacturer's recommendation in regards to the oil. There must be a reason they recommend what is in the manual.
There are also several threads already on this subject on this forum.

Peter

Like the others have stated, my dealer recommended the 5k intervals. I take it to them for service. They use Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend for oil.
Ford uses 5w20 wt oil not only for gas mileage, but because these motors, since around 2000 I think, do not have the tolerances the older motors had that used the heavier oils. My F150 also calls for 5w20, but I tried 10w30 and it ran like crap. Sounded like the valves were going to fly out. Put 5w20 back in and it ran perfect again. On the Oil fill cap it states "Use Only 5w20". Use what Ford says and all will be well.

Like TexasExplorer3 I change the oil using the 5000 mile (8000 km) or 6 month routine.
It has always been the time that comes first since I'm just coming up to 8000 miles and 2 years. I know that some owners like to get an early change done so that is up to you.
I would stick with the manufacturer's recommendation in regards to the oil. There must be a reason they recommend what is in the manual.
There are also several threads already on this subject on this forum.

Peter

100% agree....:thumbsup:

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles. I used Mobile 1 5w-20 full syn. I have always done oil changes at 1000 miles for a new vehicle. I expected to see lots of little metal flakes in the oil, like I have seen in all other new vehicles, but I saw none. What I did notice was that the oil was black, much darker then expected for only 1000 miles. My dealer said to bring it in when the oil percent got down to 10% oil life remaining. It looks like some dealers say 5000 miles. I am glad I did the oil cha be at 1000 miles, it let me get to know my new Sport a little better. I am pretty **** about my vehicles, I expect to keep them over 200k miles.

Thanks Cajun ford,kirks jeep for the reply on oil 5-20 vs 5-30
My highlander noted :if towing trailer or in hot climate run 5-30
Ford has nothing on running different oil for different conditions

Why would Ford steer you wrong?

Hey OP, just like religion and politics, don't you know you're not suppose to discuss oil change intervals in mixed company?

People can spend their hard earned money any way they choose. I choose to follow the recommendation of the people who designed and built the engine and have more money to spend elsewhere. And for the tree huggers, I've also contributed less waste oil to be disposed of. I've done 3 oil changes in my 31500 miles, all when the car's computer told me to, each one has been at 9800-10000 miles. I've spent $18.75 times three on oil changes. I go to a dealer that has a downloadable coupon.

Why would the engineers that designed and built the engine recommend an oil change interval that would be detrimental?

Some dealers recommend shorter intervals than Ford because, wait for it, they make money. Maybe not on the actual LOF if you have a coupon, but most dealers will try to convince (up-service) a customer to do something else while they are there and a surprising number of customers fall for it.

And for the people with aluminum foil hats sitting in their attics who say that Ford makes money selling cars and it's in their interest to have their product "wear out" sooner by recommending a longer oil change interval, well I can spend my money any way I want.

Thanks tucker but my main question was on oil 5-20 vs 5-30 due to harder use on engine as trailer towing or running in hot climates
My mistake for stating miles on oil change

Ford recommends 5-20 oil all my other vehicles stated to use

Thicker is not better...period. There is a ton of info on BobIsTheOilGuy, etc.

The drama around oil and oil changes is the most overblown issue around. I tend to agree with tucker_bmd on all of his points. 1000 mile first change...total crap. You get more wear at startup than any other time.

Fact: There are two main reasons why vehicle manufacturers recommend thinner or lighter viscosity grades of motor oil. First, a gain in fuel economy can be achieved with lower viscosity oil. At cold temperatures and at start up, lower viscosity oil will reduce internal engine friction.

http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm

I believe the newer Ford engines use oil pressure to control the variable valve timing (not a clue how). I've read on other forums that using a weight different than the reccommended will make the engine run poorly.
I'm a 100% synthetic convert. No more dino juice.
Synthetic oil doesn't change viscosity like dino does when it gets hot so using a thicker oil for Florida (or Texas) isn't an issue.
IMHO, the oil is the lifeblood of an engine. If you change it regularly 95-98% of us can put 200K mi on our engines. Considering the grand scheme of car ownership, changing oil at 5k vs 7.5k doesn't change the cost of ownership significantly - it's also great insurance.
"Back in the day" (when I was a young-un) a car was worn out by the time it got to 100K. Not so anymore.

Hey gang!

For those of you who have Explorers equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor, your vehicle will display a message when it is time for an oil change. If you are operating your vehicle under special conditions (towing, extensive idling, etc.) please check out the Special Operating Conditions section of your Owner's Manual, available for free download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/VehicleDetails&vehicleIndex=1

If you still have questions about oil change intervals or the type of oil you should use in your vehicle, give your local dealership's service department a call and they'll help you out.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really?

... give your local dealership's service department a call and they'll help you out.

Crystal

Crystal, Thanks again for taking part in this forum. I appreciate Ford reaching out to customers via today's social media outlets. Instead of recommending people consult dealers for service, I would recommend they consult the manual for recommended service.

I have first hand knowledge (IE it happened to me with my 2006 Mariner) of a dealer providing customers with a service schedule vastly different from what's listed in the manual. Vastly different meaning doing more stuff more often than the manual recommends. And I have read on the internet (ya, don't believe everything you read) of dealers putting the wrong oil, 5W-20, into the 2013 Escape 2.0 ecoboost, which the manual says takes 5W-30.

I use to drive a VW TDI, I had to teach the service department that the diesel engine takes a different oil than the gas engines.

Back