Security Keyless Keypad Code Location 2003 Explorer Sport XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Security Keyless Keypad Code Location 2003 Explorer Sport XLT

Adrenolin

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Security Keyless Keypad Code Location 2003 Explorer Sport XLT

*** NOTICE: This is ONLY for the Explorer Sport and is NOT for the Sport TRAC ***

Tools Needed: 7mm and 8mm sockets, a ratchet and an extension.

A few things to get straight right up front...
  • First: It is NOT located in the rear drivers side Jack compartment!
  • Second: It is NOT located in the passengers side C-Pillar by the 2nd row seats!
  • Third: It is NOT found on a sticker by itself!

I spent a week searching through forums here and elsewhere online and the above 2 locations is where everyone says it was located. I know this because I have completely removed the rear panels and pillar trim on both sides of my 2003 Explorer Sport XLT and it was NOT located in either of these places.

I then found a thread here by 'n3elz' saying it may be found by going up through the glove box, behind the passengers air-bag in the dash. Figured I'd give it a look and W00t! :bounce: there it was.

The process in finding it is quite easy and only requires removing 4 screws above and behind the glove box.

1. To start simply open and empty out the glove box. Once empty push in on the sides of the glove box, as shown in the photo, and drop it down.
29478842044_d0f3781bd0_c.jpg

album-72157673478624992

2. This image shows up into the dash from the floor and displays the 2 screws holding in the passengers air-bag. Removing these 2 screws allows you to remove the air-bag.
30072406126_8a042d6bc9_c.jpg

3. I found that the airbag wanted to pull out from the right side first as shown in the image with the red line. Once this side pulled free the whole unit pulled straight out.
29478841954_83a0e1b2f7_c.jpg

4. Here are the 2 screws securing the RAP (Remote Anti-theft Personality module)! This is of course what we are looking for. The 5-digit code is located on the top. Remove the 2 screws and pull the module out.
30072406076_e2e15243c0_c.jpg

5. The module will pull out and swing towards the passenger door due to the wires.
29812156530_d6ec997039_c.jpg

6. Finally you'll notice the 5-digit code! Write it down, take a picture, tell your wife/husband and then help everyone else out by telling them where you found it!
Note: For security reasons I've hidden my code however it was located in Thick Black Bold Text where you see the blue block in this image.
29478841864_19927b9a26_c.jpg

Hope this helps all you 2003 Sport owners out there! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Man! I had removed the panels behind the back seats and spent nearly an hour till I looked around online again and found your post. It worked like a charm. Thanks, again.

Great post. We should merge a sticky to include the links based on teh vehicle someone is working on with separate links for the Gen I/II, Gen III, Sport Trac and Sport. This question comes up at least 3x per week it seems...

Is it the same for a 2001 sport?

Do I need to disconnect the battery? It wouldn't seem necessary, since the airbag isn't actually being disconnected, but I've seen other tutorials that say to disconnect.

It wouldn't seem necessary, since the airbag isn't actually being disconnected

I would advise disconnecting the battery, simply because although you aren't disconnecting the airbag, you wouldn't want to accidentally cause the airbag to be deployed while removing it/moving it. So to disable the slight chance that may happen, I'd suggest doing so.

Plus, it couldn't hurt. ;)

Good point. i went out, did this, and found it. Took a total of maybe ten minutes. Thanks for the tutorial for sport owners. :):thumbsup:

Thanks

I apperciate the post... followed your guide and i got my code

oh giggity... goo:usa:

Thanks for the post. I found my code in about 5 minutes by using this for my 2002 Explorer Sport 4x4 2dr.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Took me 10 minutes to do this. Love the photos. Im very happy with my (new) 2003 Sport Trac even more now.

Glad to hear this has helped a few people. I don't frequent these forums often.. usually a quick Search, find what I need then gone. This site does rock in regards to the wealth of information on the Explorers.

Help

thanks for the pictures and advise on how to find the cream box. My problem is, it not cream it's black and is says ford anti thief system with no 5 number pin. there are numbers and letters mixed. not one sport has just numbers. what do i do?

Thanks Adrenolin fo taking the time to post. This security code thing has been driving me nuts.

Thanks so much for the post. Found the code on our 2002 sport. It will be great to have if we ever lock the keys in it.

I know this post is starting to show some age, but I had to thank you for this. I did the same thing as others and tore the plastic trim off the B pillar behind the passenger seat, I laid on my back in the driver's footwell starting up at nothing that was helpful and was about to go to the dealer and probably get charged $100 for them to do what took me 10 minutes with your awesome post including pictures. Thank you!!!
BTW - I read somewhere that you can pry out the defrost vent cover and read it looking down through the windshield on the passenger side kind of like reading the VIN on the drivers side. I didn't try that, but for anyone a little leery of playing with the airbag, it might be an option. When I was in there I could see how that might work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keyless Entry Code

Good Post I'm going to try via through the vent. I have an inspection camera. Wonder if I could use that instead of taking things apart?
I'll post my success

Back