• Register Today It's free!

Rancho QuickLifts + BTF Spacers

fr0st m0nkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Has anyone run this combination? I need new strut assemblies for my explorer and just bought BTF spacers and UCA's. Struttek are sold out of their rears leaving me with the option of some other Chinese brands for around $300, Monroes for $550, or the Ranchos for $750. I was planning on going Strutteks and installing a small body lift but since they're on back order, the Ranchos are looking much more appealing for an extra $200 and all the time saved by not having to install a body lift. I know this guy ran spacers with quicklifts, not sure about those angles though:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386647

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've seen, the lift you get from the ranchos will decrease over time since the springs settle. How much it's hard to say, but based strictly on people's experiences on here it's more than stock type struts.

One of the main benefits of the quicklifts is that the struts have a longer travel over stock type struts, particularly in the front. Installing spacers negates this somewhat since you run into the same issues with stock struts, i.e., the interference between the spindle and coil in the front, and the axle shafts hitting the frame in the rear...so you lose that advantage. But either way you still can adjust the valving on the quicklifts with the knob which is something.

On the other hand, a body lift will never settle obviously, and it's relatively inexpensive. Downside there (besides the work of installing), is the "lift" is mainly cosmetic, but you do get a good amount of clearance for tires without any negative impacts to the travel of the suspension or the requirement to get BTF uppers (if you don't use spacers)

That being the case, I would suggest one of the following combos:

-1.5" body lift and small strut spacers (like 1.5" front/1" rear) on stock struts with BTF arms
-3" body lift and rancho quicklifts with no spacers and no BTF arms

Both come out to be around the same price...and about the same amount of lift....so you should be able to fit 265s on either with no issues.

Option 2 has slightly more of an advantage IMO since you get a bit more suspension travel with no interference between suspension/drivetrain parts and adjustable valving too. Disadvantage is you may find the suspension settles a bit over time.

Thanks for the advice Ronin. :)

I already have the 2.25"/1.75" spacers + UCA's on the way though. Should I just stick to the Monroes (or roll the dice with some FCS Automotive Struts for ~$300) and install a 1.5" BL?

Thanks for the advice Ronin. :)

I already have the 2.25"/1.75" spacers + UCA's on the way though. Should I just stick to the Monroes (or roll the dice with some FCS Automotive Struts for ~$300) and install a 1.5" BL?

I'd say stick with the monroe struts then. You may find that you don't need a body lift with those height spacers right now, but you also might find that the side effects of that size causes you to want to go with smaller ones later, in which case the body lift might be required.

This seems to be the best place for this question.
Rancho Quicklifts or BTF Spacers?
Since I was planning on installing Monroe strut assemblies with the Spacers, The cost is within $100 of each other for the parts and such.
I was not planning on anything major for the spacers, maybe 2" front 1.50" rear. I also wanted to try and wait on replacing the UCAs maybe as far down the road as a year.
I just wanted to hear you guys/girls have to say.

Just snagged all 4 Monroe's on Amazon for just over $400. There were 2 rear assemblies for sale via the Amazon Warehouse for $90 a piece so I jumped on it. Now on to the hunt for wheels. :D

This seems to be the best place for this question.
Rancho Quicklifts or BTF Spacers?
Since I was planning on installing Monroe strut assemblies with the Spacers, The cost is within $100 of each other for the parts and such.
I was not planning on anything major for the spacers, maybe 2" front 1.50" rear. I also wanted to try and wait on replacing the UCAs maybe as far down the road as a year.
I just wanted to hear you guys/girls have to say.

See my posts above.

I recommend spacers on the smaller end; 1.5" front/1" rear. If you want it to look taller than that, add a body lift. Taller spacers than that make the truck look great but there are drawbacks: less suspension travel, and suspension part interference. Both of those will happen even if you use BTF upper control arms.

Really, if you can get all the tire clearance you need from a 1.5" or 3" body lift, then that is the cheapest option and won't change the suspension characteristics or require an alignment. Obviously the only ground clearance increase with a body lift comes from the larger tires, but if it's mainly for looks anyway, who cares.

Just snagged all 4 Monroe's on Amazon for just over $400. There were 2 rear assemblies for sale via the Amazon Warehouse for $90 a piece so I jumped on it. Now on to the hunt for wheels. :D

Good deal. What are you looking at for tires/tire size?

Thank you for answering so quickly. I have also tossed around the idea of the quick lifts and a body lift. In my mind I was really sold on the spacers but have been rethinking it. I probably over Analyze too much.

Thank you for answering so quickly. I have also tossed around the idea of the quick lifts and a body lift. In my mind I was really sold on the spacers but have been rethinking it. I probably over Analyze too much.

No problem. If you're just planning on running 265/75 tires and just driving on the beach or whatever then a 3" body lift is very affordable and allows plenty of clearance for those tires. Looks good too.

Mainly beach runs and mud runs. Not a whole lot of trail rides to be had here. But I would love to do that also eventually. The reincarnation of Tellico is not too far away. So I guess I need to do more research on what I am going to do. Maybe even 285s now

Good deal. What are you looking at for tires/tire size?

I think 265/75/18. I used to run Toyo Open Country M/T's on my Jeep Wrangler but I think they might look too aggressive on the explorer. Currently looking at the following wheels:

f9UtjhE.jpg

V-Tec Offroad Chrome

LMD8175.jpg

American Outlaw - Bunker

7KRvetT.jpg

MB Wheels - Stryker

v86XHcu.jpg

Vision - 375 Warrior

What color is your Ex? I say the American Outlaw-Bunker. On a happy and personal note I just got told by my wife that as long as she can still get into the Ex, I can lift it as high as I want. Only issue with that is she is 5'1"

It's tan right now but I'm thinking of plasti-dipping the whole thing matte white or matte black. It currently looks just like this one: http://cimg.carsforsale.com/306927/C68B5D6A-A832-44FC-9C97-826ED689792E_1.jpg

I never gave you permission to take a picture of mine!!!! Just joking. Mine is identical to that. I was planning on putting on black rims, preferably flat black somewhere down the road. The plasti-dip would look cool. I have seen some jeeps around here completely dura lined, they look sweet. If I go with the black rims I will remove all chrome (not that there is much to begin with) off my Ex.

Here's those same Stryker wheels in matte black. I think I've narrowed it down to these and the V-Tech Offroad

MB_Stryker_Matte_Black.png

Decided I want to go 285/75s instead of 265's. I know the 265s are much more practical but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on everything and regret not going with the 285s. If I have to regear so be it, my tax return is right around the corner and my buddy's dad said he could do it for me. Just bought everything I need for a 1.5" BL so I should be able to clear them without any issues. :D

Decided I want to go 285/75s instead of 265's. I know the 265s are much more practical but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on everything and regret not going with the 285s. If I have to regear so be it, my tax return is right around the corner and my buddy's dad said he could do it for me. Just bought everything I need for a 1.5" BL so I should be able to clear them without any issues. :D

Scratch this plan for 285/75's. I'm going 265/70/17's (31.6") with MB Stryker wheels that I'm going to paint black. Should be the same size as MillerTimeX's explorer posted here with 265/75/16's. Just got my 2.25"/1.75" spacers (and BTF Upper Control Arms), brand new Monroe strut assemblies, and a 1.5" body lift.. Can't wait to get them installed. Should look something like this when it's done:

ovkNEOp.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scratch this plan for 285/75's. I'm going 265/70/17's (31.6") with MB Stryker wheels that I'm going to paint black. Should be the same size as MillerTimeX's explorer posted here with 265/75/16's. Just got my 2.25"/1.75" spacers (and BTF Upper Control Arms), brand new Monroe strut assemblies, and a 1.5" body lift.. Can't wait to get them installed. Should look something like this when it's done:

ovkNEOp.jpg

What brand lift did you put on your explorer?

Back