Winter Rims / Wheels | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Rims / Wheels

Looks like I may be getting an Aviator. After having the parts department priced wheels for Winter tires, I've decided to just put the Winter tires on the OEM wheels and save a lot of $$. If that happens, I'll be looking to sell my current 18" wheels/tires.

Peter

Peter

I have ordered 4 rims @$100.00 cnd each and 4 TPMS60 @59.00 cnd each.
The dealer is going to be taking my winter tires of my old rims, and installing them
on the new rims for $100.00 cnd all prices plus 13% tax.

With the 245/60/18 tires I have (one season old), it works out to 3.55% change a little over the 3% recommended.
So at 60MPH my speedo will be showing 57.7 mph.

Great news on the Aviator, when do you think you will be getting it?

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

The dealer is going to be taking my winter tires of my old rims, and installing them

With the 245/60/18 tires I have (one season old), it works out to 3.55% change a little over the 3% recommended.

Brian

I have no clue why they are taking a loss of almost $200 a rim but good for you for getting that deal.

Aviator deal is done and the dealer is giving me a credit of $400 for the old 18" Winter wheels/tires. I'll put that towards the Bridgestone DM-V2 tires that are on order and have them mounted on the OEM wheels.

Peter

I have no clue why they are taking a loss of almost $200 a rim but good for you for getting that deal.

blwnsmoke

The list price for the rims in Canada are $146.66 each and the TPMS are $103.40 each
I donot know why so much of a price difference in the USA

Brian

blwnsmoke

The list price for the rims in Canada are $146.66 each and the TPMS are $103.40 each
I donot know why so much of a price difference in the USA

Brian

It just dawned on me about reaching out to my ESP connection in Canada. I just sent an email to see if they would ship me 4 of them. I've seen them for $118 right now online in Canada (they won't ship to the US) and that converts to about $90 each right now in US dollars. At $360 for 4 of them, it's well worth a few hundred dollars in shipping to get 4 of them to me considering in the states it is about $1,120 before shipping costs.

It just dawned on me about reaching out to my ESP connection in Canada. I just sent an email to see if they would ship me 4 of them. I've seen them for $118 right now online in Canada (they won't ship to the US) and that converts to about $90 each right now in US dollars. At $360 for 4 of them, it's well worth a few hundred dollars in shipping to get 4 of them to me considering in the states it is about $1,120 before shipping costs.

If I can help, please let me know.

Brian

Are you taking the size difference of the center hub into account between the 2018 and 2020?

Peter

Are you taking the size difference of the center hub into account between the 2018 and 2020?

Peter

My whole post is referencing the 2020 PIU rims. Canadian pricing is $118 a rim for the 2020 PIU rims, that's $90 American (exchange rate) compared to $280 each in the US.

My whole post is referencing the 2020 PIU rims. Canadian pricing is $118 a rim for the 2020 PIU rims, that's $90 American (exchange rate) compared to $280 each in the US.
I think I got derailed somewhere along the line.:confused:

Peter

I think I got derailed somewhere along the line.:confused:

Peter

Lol, it's all good. I cant imagine it being more than $50 per rim to ship.

My dealer is insisting a 20 inch rim is the smallest that will fit on the ST, even though I mentioned the brakes are essentially the same between the PIU and ST. If someone out there has fit the 18 inch PIU rim with a winter tire I'd love to know the tire specs and PIU part number :)

Winter is approaching quickly and I really don't want to buy 20 inch winter rims/tires. Going to run close to $3k in Canada. Eek!

check out Www.wheelwiz.ca. I just bought some nice rims for $1100CAD and the rubber will be another $1000. But the TPMS monitors are $400 if you buy the ford ones.

check out Www.wheelwiz.ca. I just bought some nice rims for $1100CAD and the rubber will be another $1000. But the TPMS monitors are $400 if you buy the ford ones.

I had a set of factory PIU 18" steel rims and factory TPMS installed this Saturday.
The rims where $100.00 each and the TPMS $59.00 each.

I could never justify spending over $1000.00 on winter rims alone, just to get
chewed up with all the salt and stuff on the roads in our area in the winter.
But thats me, I do see that other people do put some beautiful mags on for winter driving.

Brian

Let me know if the PIU rims fit. I have been having a hard time determining specs to see if they fit over the big brakes

I'll buy a set too if that helps

Hi all! I'm going to buy a set of aftermarket wheels and mount winter tires on them. I selected a model from RTX, but one of retailers suggested that these wheels are not suitable for winter. I have never heard about that (i.e. that a wheel can not be suitable for winter use). Any thoughts or tips? Thank you in advance!

Untitled.jpg

They’d love to sell as many wheels as possible. If they say they aren’t suitable, I’m sure there’s a good reason. They probably aren’t very good corrosion wise. I’d pick a different wheel.

Ultimately we are talking painted wheels. I personally love satin or matte black. If you get a chip, it's easy to fill in. Generally speaking, I've never had issues with aftermarket rims in winter but always pick rims that I can touch up and wouldn't look conspicuous doing so.

Peter

Brian
Where did you order TPMS for 2020 Explorer? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back