What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 109 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

how hard were the plugs to do? Ford wanted to charge me $700 to replace them when I recently had a fuel injector go out.

It is not hard. Unlike the NA 3.5 you don't have to take off the intake to access the coils and plugs. On the NA 3.5 you have to take off the intake manifold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed mud flaps and hard mounted the radar detector.

Yeah, it needs a bath!
Xsport mud flaps.jpg

Xsport R7 hard mount.jpg

Installed mud flaps and hard mounted the radar detector.

Yeah, it needs a bath!

View attachment 324195
Good choice with the R7. Since I am in VA, I can neither confirm nor deny that I have an R7 in the same spot with the same mount.
May the fleas of a million rapid camels infest the VSP and their RDDs.
Waiting on Theia to be released.
Fritz

Good choice with the R7. Since I am in VA, I can can neither confirm nor deny that I have an R7 in the same spot with the same mount.
May the fleas of a million rapid camels infect the VSP and their RDDs.
Waiting on Theia to be released.
Fritz
I updated firmware today.
And may they live in interesting times...

Where did you run your radar hardwire kit to, or fuse location? Tia
Used a mirror tap off the bay. Not an elegant solution but serviceable.

I finally had all rims repaired. Rash and some gouges in all 4. Previous owners were very nice but apparently parked by braille in a parking garage- often. All 4 corners dinged and hatch got a pole. So at least the rims look good. And maybe someday widen the stock rims for some serious rubber.
IMG_1193.jpg

I finally had all rims repaired. Rash and some gouges in all 4. Previous owners were very nice but apparently parked by braille in a parking garage- often. All 4 corners dinged and hatch got a pole. So at least the rims look good. And maybe someday widen the stock rims for some serious rubber.

Very nice. I need to have my '15s redone as well. The previous owner (it was a lease) hit several curbs.

View attachment 324426
Rims look great! I've been considering refinishing mine in all black (not a fan of the two tone). Do you know what the shop's method was for refinishing? With my limited understanding, you'd just repair them the same way you would the bodywork....?

Rims look great! I've been considering refinishing mine in all black (not a fan of the two tone). Do you know what the shop's method was for refinishing? With my limited understanding, you'd just repair them the same way you would the bodywork....?
They will lathe, then polish, and sometimes weld the worst spots. They can straighten bent rims as well.

They're Heeere!

PPE catted downpipes stainless.jpg

Let me tell you first that I know that I haven't been active with this group for a while and that I've been busy as a moderator for a 5th GEN FB Group but a lot of people know that I LOVED my 2016 Platinum Explorer with especially with the modifications I did on it, but COVID has changed the landscape quite a bit with my job as I have inherited 3 more states so now I will be covering 14 states in the Midwest.
My company will gladly pay for my flights but I travel with 3 - 4 huge samples bags plus my own personal baggage and trade show materials that it's easier for me to drive rather than navigating through an airport, shipping materials only to get lost, car rentals... well, it's easier to make a road trip and work my territory weeks at a time.
With that said, I needed more room and wanted a more comfortable ride and thanks to Kevin Mello Fondren at Bill Kay Ford in Midlohthian, IL, he reached out to me about a week ago and he got me a deal that I couldn't walk away from for what I needed.
I test drove the Tahoe and Yukon but fell in love with the Expedition with this trim. I have a few more payments again but my company compensates me with a monthly stipend for a vehicle plus gas so that helps a lot.
Thanks again to Kevin for reaching out to me and listening and finding what I needed but mostly wanted and more importantly, making it work. If you are ever in need of a new or used Ford in the Chicago area, reach out to him please. Not only is he an outstanding salesperson, we found out that we have a ton in common and has become a friend.

Basically, I put my explorer back to stock and upgraded to a Limited Expedition Black Stealth Edition 4x4 today
Thank you for all who followed and complimented my ride and to the moderators here.
You were all awesome.

19DC7AA1-CA41-48D4-9A10-D86ECCF450CB_1_201_a.jpeg

26293E21-421A-4410-B075-DAC27FAE0F2F_1_201_a.jpeg

EA1EA2D6-A7C7-49DE-AE33-6028BE1D4B07_1_201_a.jpeg

1FDF655F-EC69-46BB-A1F0-DF9AF90874A5_1_201_a.jpeg

688DFF43-2EE4-4BF7-801E-52A2022EF636_1_201_a.jpeg

Hey Jon, life happens!

I enjoyed living vicariously through you as you continually upgraded/modded your Explorer. I'm sure you had a great time with it. All good things must come to an end as they say. Expedition looks great though! Good luck on your new endeavors. Hope you are still active here from time to time when your life allows you to be.

Sharp looking vehicle Jon. Thank you for all your contributions to the Forum and its members. It was a great 'ride'. All the best and Merry Christmas to you and yours! Stay safe. :thumbsup:

Peter

Sharp looking vehicle Jon. Thank you for all your contributions to the Forum and its members. It was a great 'ride'. All the best and Merry Christmas to you and yours! Stay safe. :thumbsup:

Peter
Thanks, Peter! I'm staying as an elite. I'd like to chime in from time to time and see what's new. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family and forums family!

I just saw your post while ironically I’m sitting in a shop waiting for my Steeda lowering springs to be put on, they just told me it’s done. I’ve really enjoyed watching your ride evolve and the changing colors of the vinyl and powder coating! Let the new mods begin(when you have time)! Take care and Merry Christmas.

I just saw your post while ironically I’m sitting in a shop waiting for my Steeda lowering springs to be put on, they just told me it’s done. I’ve really enjoyed watching your ride evolve and the changing colors of the vinyl and powder coating! Let the new mods begin(when you have time)! Take care and Merry Christmas.
You, too my friend and your ride is going to be beast with the lowering springs!!!

I just had my Steeda lowering springs installed yesterday. I’ve seen pictures on this forum of other members rides who have done this and I’ve even taken measurements but it didn’t prepare me for actually seeing in person my X lowered for the first time. It was a shock seeing the drastic change in the X’s stance... I love it! The handling is amazing for a nearly 5,000 pound suv. I’ve already had Steeda’s sway bar, trailing arms and toe links installed a few months ago and I am very happy with the handling, lots of fun. I’m going to drive it for a week and let the springs settle then take it back in to Pure Performance Automotive to do the alignment, no use in paying twice. I also got SPC’s front and rear alignment bolts to go with the springs. In the mesntime my X is riding straight and not pulling to the left or right.

2FF7121B-C51B-48B8-991E-B90A0C13212F.jpeg

90FCB434-5652-4A8B-B19C-7EF4A3911520.jpeg

D7215A64-0F26-4DA4-B755-08933307AD85.jpeg

64E97D4C-AAF9-414F-B218-D882A3CBF40C.jpeg

386D7461-4108-4C30-9EF5-5EAD319A150D.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, beautiful Expedition... Love em, would just not like to park it in a parking lot space, those suv's are beasts ...

Back