410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

image_2kk.jpg
View attachment 434324

new fuse added
image_1kk.jpg

moving on, shes going to need a steering column
The 07 column needs some mods, column pulled from storage, cleaned and dusted

image_1hh.jpg

image_11ll.jpg

First up we will be console/floor shift!!!!!!!!!
So the whole column shifter OD button and park interlock go bye bye

imagehh.jpg

image_2hh.jpg

image_3hh.jpg

going to need to source a non column shift shroud, or mount something cool here later?
image_4hh.jpg

As discussed before PATS not needed

image_4kk.jpg

halo/wiring removed from column

Truck is prepared the holley PCM battery harness was run through the firewall and into engine bay then the steering went into the dash
image_10kk.jpg

Holley wires going through factory wiring grommet
image_8kk.jpg

image_6kk.jpg

routed, PCM has power

Floor wiring: seats, t case/bed wiring in place
image_7gg.jpg

Look ma clean floors

Floor laid back down
Steering in........ first look at the Holley PCM completely connected (one red wire to ignition switch, that's next)
There is talk of using a different steering wheel or re wrapping this one.... after truck is running/driving

image_12kk.jpg

image_9kk.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is loose, not mounted, I have not chosen the final location yet... the new console is quite roomy underneath
However the shifter will take up a bunch of space. I would like to make the led's visible, we shall see

This is how I splice into the run/start power feed at the ignition switch
imageoo.jpg

image_1oo.jpg

image_2oo.jpg

image_4oo.jpg

and the holley PCM wiring at the battery

image_5oo.jpg

You bend the little tabs back and the terminal tighten bolts will come out, then I clean between the clamp with emery board and install the new ring terminal
image_7oo.jpg

image_6oo.jpg

image_8oo.jpg

Ignition wires installed
image_5kk.jpg

I am using these Motorcraft wires until the Taylor wires I ordered for this truck get here (backorder till October!)
These wires are leftover from another project

image_2pp.jpg

imagepp.jpg

intake started

Looking good! A late model Mustang steering column cover may work. Here is a 2010 to 2014 one on Ebay.
2010 Mustang steering column cover
I may have one from a 1994 to 1998 Mustang if it would work better. The only thing that I have here to compare truck to Mustang is the 2002 EX Sport trac. Do you think that it would be the same as 2007 Ranger?
Turns out that there are covers for several different years on Ebay...

With every truck build there is a final junk yard trip I usually have a 5 speed ranger around I can snag that cowl from, otherwise I can find in the yard or on eBay! Thanks for helping!! I’m making a checklist of the final final stuff before I turn the key and aetup the Holley hopefully later today! I have fitted oil filter and 5 quarts of Mobil one is in the engine
Trans fluid, t case, coolant and then let’s see how this goes

a dream ranger right there ;) :D great job!

okay added fluids, put in battery, turned the key to on
The Holley lights up like Christmas
I went through the setup wizards, then setup the tps, then monitored all sensors.
I have read the Holley setup guide about 1000 times, this time I went through it very carefully followed step by step instructions.......

The Holley is happy, all green lights. However no starter and no fuel pump!!!!

I have some wiring to sort out........ likely due to changes between the 05 and 07 harness, and possibly still due to the 07 instrument cluster not liking me for removing pats

Good thing I know a wiring guy! Up early, been bugging me all night. I will sort this out today!
I have a complete 05 dash and wiring if needed (I doubt it)

GOOD NEWS, Holley PCM appears to be happy and working just fine............. this is progress!!

E0DAD5F9-C527-4004-BAEB-39D9CC065DC2.jpeg

I didn't think about manual shift Rangers as being a source for your column cover.
Does the fuel pump get power from the Holley system? I can't remember from my reading. I'm sure you have your inertia switch in closed circuit mode...

yes the holley pcm has one wire to control the fuel pump
I have it triggering the stock relay similar to factory, however the Holley PCM sends a 12V+ signal, the factory PCM sent a ground. So for this truck I grounded out the fuel pump relay and sent the 12V+ fuel pump control to the VPRM feed on the fuel pump relay, so the Holley triggers the + feed of the relay.
. Fuel pump power from fuse, through stock relay, triggered by pcm, power through inertia switch to pump. My problem is in the wiring I used, I am using a 07 dash with a 05 under hood harness, there are some slight changes I need to overcome. I found the fuel pump wires from the 05 harness right now they are not going to the fuel pump!! I will use a test light and confirm the signal is present.
This is OKAY I expected this............ I can wire up a starter and fuel pump in my sleep :) Just needed to know what hoops to jump through next. The 07is a little bit different then all the trucks I have done before......
That has never stopped me :)

its always gotta be something to rain on the parade.

btw, if it doesnt snap off, and if you dont already know this, reverse the fire order 180 out in the ecm

Well I hit the books yesterday, spent a few hours with my 2005 ranger and 2007 ranger wiring books, identified 36 of the 49 wires at the C144 plug
enough to know that the 2005 and 07 dash harness is way out from each other
I have learned ALOT about the differences between the old style OBD PCM and the newer can bus systems.......

So I will be re wiring this dash backwards to a 05........... this is why I kept a complete 05 interior. wiring, etc I knew this was a possibility
So today I will be swapping out the dash wiring, fixing one plug that feeds the fuel tank and tail lights........ THEN try again! Hang tight!!

NEED to post a video of it running.

absolutely!!! I plan to start recording as soon as I have a fuel pump and a starter.......

I have the wiring solved, I THINK LOL
After comparing three dash boards with their prospective wiring, I decided the easiest path forward was to remove the 05 engine bay harness and install the original 097 engine bay harness, as long as I could identify the 18 wires I need to interface with the truck.

So I did just that. After many more hours with the 07 ranger wiring book and the actual 05 and 07 wiring on the shop floor I was able to locate all the wires I need. So then I unbolted everything that was in the way from the ABS pump to the Radiator and AC condenser all the way around to the cruise control controller......and just like that the 05 wiring is out.
Then I prepared the 07 wiring
And now it is about to go back in.
Once this is complete I expect to have all of this sorted out! and be able to start the truck
There is only ONE wire that does not have a home in the 07
The Overdrive off indicator light from the Holley PCM to the instrument cluster....the 07 instrument cluster does not have separate wires for each light anymore instead the cluster and the PCM just talk over the can bus system. So I will need to be clever and add a OD off light .... I did however notice that the ABS controller has the ability to turn on a "tow mode" light bulb in the cluster so I may be able to use that.

Next up we shall see how happy the 07 is with my decisions :) Hopefully the next post or two will be with a running truck

2007 dash next to a 2005 dash, there are quite a few differences as far as wiring goes! However this 07 dash (left) and the 07 dash in the truck appear to be identical, so I'm guessing all 07-11 trucks will be the same.
Also the 05 dash appears to be just like the 01-04 sports and sport tracks I am used to dealing with.
641A9F71-31E3-46F5-96B3-FA371DEA39D4.jpeg

2007 harness being customized getting ready to go back into the truck it originally came from
843DC3E8-1704-48F7-B631-E55FEBDAE1AB.jpeg

WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!

I love the work you're doing, I hope I get into my 92 Lincoln like that soon. I really like the 2nd gen dash, so it's great they kept it through the later Sport Tracs and Rangers.

absolutely!!! I plan to start recording as soon as I have a fuel pump and a starter.......

I have the wiring solved, I THINK LOL
After comparing three dash boards with their prospective wiring, I decided the easiest path forward was to remove the 05 engine bay harness and install the original 097 engine bay harness, as long as I could identify the 18 wires I need to interface with the truck.

So I did just that. After many more hours with the 07 ranger wiring book and the actual 05 and 07 wiring on the shop floor I was able to locate all the wires I need. So then I unbolted everything that was in the way from the ABS pump to the Radiator and AC condenser all the way around to the cruise control controller......and just like that the 05 wiring is out.
Then I prepared the 07 wiring
And now it is about to go back in.
Once this is complete I expect to have all of this sorted out! and be able to start the truck
There is only ONE wire that does not have a home in the 07
The Overdrive off indicator light from the Holley PCM to the instrument cluster....the 07 instrument cluster does not have separate wires for each light anymore instead the cluster and the PCM just talk over the can bus system. So I will need to be clever and add a OD off light .... I did however notice that the ABS controller has the ability to turn on a "tow mode" light bulb in the cluster so I may be able to use that.

Next up we shall see how happy the 07 is with my decisions :) Hopefully the next post or two will be with a running truck

2007 dash next to a 2005 dash, there are quite a few differences as far as wiring goes! However this 07 dash (left) and the 07 dash in the truck appear to be identical, so I'm guessing all 07-11 trucks will be the same.
Also the 05 dash appears to be just like the 01-04 sports and sport tracks I am used to dealing with.
View attachment 434514
2007 harness being customized getting ready to go back into the truck it originally came from
View attachment 434515

WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!
wooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! 😃😃😃

@410Fortune When did everything change from old style OBD PCM to the newer can bus system? Or is there a clearcut answer to that? 2006?
Or different years for different model Fords?
@vroomzoomboom I would like to see Tim's notes as to what he did all along the way and then you could post your notes too. Then maybe an answer for Tim would emerge. I'm sure though that what both of y'all have done are somewhere in the existing posts. I'll check back in the evening and see how it is going. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2006/7 for the Ranger? Anyone has a 06 ranger can confirm?

I bet we find similar across the board for Other fords too
Its a really neat system, there is WAY LESS wiring
it does make it more difficult to do this

The C110 (c112, C115) 42 pin square plug went away at the same time they switched so it would be easy to tell
ALL of our RBV had the 42 pin plug from 95-2005
I am not sure if the 06+ explorer, sport trac and others made the switch too, but I am guessing they did

At the end of the day I am met with two challenges SO FAR, there maybe more coming.
The instrument cluster, usually I can hack into them and move wires around, add signals, etc
Not anymore............
For a 5.0 swap I have no way to hookup the OD cancel light and the coolant temp sensor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These signals now come from the pcm via can bus to the cluster.........well the pcm went bye bye. So a custom cluster of sorts will have to be created, I do not want to leave a non working coolant gauge in the dash, also the theft light will always flash with no PCM....

I could have easily just ripped all the 07 out and replaced with a say 96 style dash, use a 05 cluster so it looks just like an 07 but where is the fun in that? the 05+ trucks have the fuse panel in the passenger kick panel, everything is completely different, I wanted to keep as much 07 as possible (retain the ABS computer, Restraints computer, speed control computer, 4x4 control module), etc etc.........and here we are

Last night I finished preparing the 07 wiring, identified the 11 wires I need to hookup the holley, and now I am adding the C110 plug to the 07 harness and then finally it can go back in, plug and play!
I still expect some issues, a custom instrument cluster and subsequent wiring is in my future
My goal is starter and fuel pump, with those two things she will run
Then I can worry about wiring up a custom cluster to look legit.

Back