410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

Looking dang! good. I see that you have done some vacuum line simplification. I was wondering if there is a way to simplify the EVAP plumbing and at the same time, do away with some of the valves/solenoids that formerly would be controlled and throw codes by the old OBD2 PCM. I would like a simple vapor return system on my 5.0. (you may have already covered this topic but I don't always read everything, lol).
You could make a "how to" book (paper) on how to do what all you have done. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

start up as soon as I can install the dash and steering column! add fluids, final wiring and maybe position the drivers seat....then VROOM

This thread is long!! Tons of off topic stuff, lots of Covid junk, etc. But this shows what it takes to build a truck! At the end I will make a condensed version of the build, listing just the parts, major milestones, etc etc.

Our EVAP system will be very simple, just like the older trucks.
The fuel vapors will be sent to a charcoal canister back by the spare tire where they will wait for a canister purge valve to open under WOT and send all the fumes into the intake......... That is the hope anyway. The holley does not have canister purge controls, but I can add one.
Otherwise we will be even more old school, just venting the charcoal canister to the atmosphere

Right now there is a gas tank pressure sensor, a canister vent solenoid and a canister purge solenoid, that all goes away.........

THANKS GUYS
Engine bay is done, fan, hoses, radiator, ac condenser, trans coolers................. we are onto the cab now
Which is why she is rolling, so I can open both doors and work on the inside!!

Shes back on the wheels she rolled in here on.... Im thinking some 35's will fit nicely
I love the stance of this truck, I have not even adjusted any suspension yet, just preliminary settings and she is sitting dang near level
You can for sure tell this Ranger is not stock HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It is going to be 100 degrees next week.... shop is always 65, which is where you will find me working on this bad boy!!

Our EVAP system will be very simple, just like the older trucks.
The fuel vapors will be sent to a charcoal canister back by the spare tire where they will wait for a canister purge valve to open under WOT and send all the fumes into the intake......... That is the hope anyway. The holley does not have canister purge controls, but I can add one.
Otherwise we will be even more old school, just venting the charcoal canister to the atmosphere

Right now there is a gas tank pressure sensor, a canister vent solenoid and a canister purge solenoid, that all goes away.........

FYI, the vent solenoid is normally open, it only closes from a test by the PCM briefly each start up. So that you can toss given the Holley PCM won't test it. The pure solenoid you might keep and use it like your posted, trigger it at WOT etc.

that is how my BII is the purge solenoid is just sitting connected to the wiring harness so I do not get a code, but it is not plumbed into anything, The vent solenoid is there and working, exactly like the old 93 ohv it used to be hooked to

thanks for the advice!!! Learn something every day....normally open!!

I found out when someone on a Mustang forum asked what it was. I want one to put inline to the recirculate vacuum hose for the AC. The purge solenoid is closed unless triggered by the computer. They both use 12v, which is good for another use for them.

So does one need a WOT signal or not? and is the downstream part of the vent hooked to the top of the tank to the vacuum "style" port?

Apparently it does not need the signal at wot since it is normally open, but then why install the vent valve at all?
Yes the top of the tank, the vacuum fitting looking line is the Evap system feed

Yeah, just keep the vent line from the tank to the charcoal canister etc, out to the end. Try to use a charcoal canister which is newer than the old 25ish year old one. Those cost about $50-$75 new when I got a couple many years ago. They do help to reduce the amount of gas smell you notice in very hot weather.

They sure do! On the old gen i w the canister up behind drivers headlight I could always catch that hot fuel smell yum especially if a vent valve went bad stuck closed
I will retain the 07 canister up under the bed by the spare the 07 style is compact and nice

I guess I will need an early up front style of charcoal canister for the "54 project...

The hose size for the canisters seem to be the same, it's around an inch or close to it. Any canister should work, it's the same inside of them, just a bunch of charcoal pellets etc.

@410Fortune Would this be a before picture with exception of the charcoal canister would be located on top of the tank?
Evapsolenoids.jpg

Thank you!!

And yes that is a good diagram of the EVAP system on a Gen II that uses a canister purge and a canister vent (to atmosphere)
This 07 will not have a canister purge or canister vent but it will have a canister!

Update coming!! Progress is happening daily

@410Fortune Thanks again Jamie for the guidance and info. It's helped me a lot be able to ask questions and bounce ideas off of you. You and @vroomzoomboom using the Holley Terminator max systems at the same time. Between you too guys and the Holley info it will make my work with it a lot easier. The valve cover mods are slow going here. I look forward to your video of it running.

@410Fortune Thanks again Jamie for the guidance and info. It's helped me a lot be able to ask questions and bounce ideas off of you. You and @vroomzoomboom using the Holley Terminator max systems at the same time. Between you too guys and the Holley info it will make my work with it a lot easier. The valve cover mods are slow going here. I look forward to your video of it running.
actually jamie's been helping me more then i with him. unless i have been the guinea pig, and if that would be the case, i am willing at that.
the kit he is using it a little different then mine. the one i am using every harness is unterminated at the sensor end, i believe the one jamie has it terminated and mostly to length. where both of them are indexical is the coil drivers, coil packs. i needed jamie to come up with how it should be wired before i could do mine. with luck i will be starting mine tomorrow when the guy who will be tuning it gets here if he has time, as well as to set up a few things

After the AC condenser and the radiator were installed, the dash and interior wiring have started to go into the truck!!

Next up is the steering column and instrument cluster, as well as a center console and then the Ford edge seats.
Once most of this is done it will be time for fluids and try to start this thing :)

I had to push the truck outside so I could access the overhead storage which is where the dash and other precious parts have been kept all of this time. So while outside, it was time for a wash and some pictures!!
This Ranger is soooo nice! I will let the pictures tell the tale

I am about to order the rear shocks
Will put in the order for Kings with Brett tomorrow :)

image_1rr.jpg

new radiator has been sitting in a box for a while, finally time to install!
First the 07 AC condenser was cleaned inside and out then installed, now I could lay the radiator down onto its mounts.
Dual factory trans coolers were also cleaned inside and out ready to go in
image_3rr.jpg

image_4rr.jpg

sexy!!
imagerr.jpg

image_5rr.jpg

image_6rr.jpg

image_7rr.jpg

now for the fun part

image_1ss.jpg

she's outside and wet again ooooooh la la

SOOOO GLAD to get rid of all the dust

image_2ss.jpg

image_3ss.jpg

image_4ss.jpg

image_5ss.jpg

image_6ss.jpg

image_7ss.jpg

image_9ss.jpg

"Ace" approves everything that happens in the shop

I love the stance of this ranger!!

The pictures do not do it justice, she is super sharp in person

imagess.jpg

the goal was the overhead storage where the dash and other goodies have been hiding all of this time

image_2bb.jpg

image_3bb.jpg

more coming image_8ss.jpg

Nice solid, clean truck to begin with.
I still haven't figured out why I don't have a thumbs up that I can click on. I'm not an elite user at the moment, so that may be the issue. So here you go.:thumbsup::dpchug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice, that's great progress.

It reminds me of my 99 project when I was working out the wiring that I had scattered through the truck and on the floor. My garage ceiling is that high too, and I have one of those storage "shelves" in the box because I haven't gotten the truck out to install it since I bought that. Storage space is precious.

Back