Tbars Quick CB Setup for Cheap... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Quick CB Setup for Cheap...

...I thought this would come in handy for those who need to run out and get a basic, quick, setup for cheap...:biggthump

..Again, this is a reliable setup but the key words are Quick, Easy, and Cheap...There are a lot better preferances and setup's but this will work for a fulltime user and is great for the first time setup...:hammer:

..This will include magnet mount antenna's for quick installation and removal for your daily life, for those who do not need a CB all the time..This setup also works well to move it to other vehicles too..

..CB...I have this model in each truck..

...This is the Cobra 19 DX IV which can be found easily, (as well as these antenna's, at wally world, Target, and Radioshack) for $49.99 or on sale for $39.99...I prefer this model as it is basic and simple, made by one of the best Manuf. of CB's, and has one of the loudest speakers I can find in a CB, let alone a compact CB..

19 DX IV Compact CB Radio

"This mobile CB radio offers Instant Channel 9 and 19, RF Gain and an Illuminated LCD Display, all in a compact design!"

http://www.cobra.com/products/mobile-cb-radios/19-dx-iv-compact-cb-radio
cb.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

..Antenna's...

...This is a good replacement antenna for cheap and is easy to tune without trimming...

..For the last couple of years I have run this antenna on both trucks and due to abuse, heat, and age, I have gone thru two of them...They are a fine antenna and would last alot longer for the casual user...These are found at Radioshack at $32.99...They had been $19-$29 the last few years but have gone up in price..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062087

This powerful, heavy-duty magnet-mount CB antenna locks onto trunk lid or any flat, metal surface-holds securely at all legal speeds! No drilling required, just stick on your car and you're ready to roll! It easily tunes to lowest SWR for best transmission range, and has a bottom-loaded waterproof coil.

Model: 21-989

* Bottom-loaded waterproof coil
* 39-1/2 inches tall
* 17-foot coax cable

cb_rs.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

..Test Trial Antenna...

...I just picked this antenna up for $19.99 and I will be doing a test trial on this..;)

...This antenna has a short whip and is great for low clearance areas...The problem with the short whip is it will shorten the send/receive distance...I thought it would be good to test what kind of trail range I can get out of this at Truckhaven and possibly Big Bear...The good news is, it is made by Cobra and will be a matched setup..
http://www.cobra.com/products/cb-radio-accessories/hg-a1000-magnet-mount-antenna-21-inches

Cobra® 21” Magnet-Mount 100W CB Antenna-Cellular Style Antenna..P/N HG A1000

- Base-Loaded Magnet Mount CB Antenna Attaches Easily to Roof or Trunk Lid
- Easily Transferred to Multiple Vehicles
- 100 Watt Power Handling Capability
- Black Stainless Steel Whip and Hardware
- 26-30 MHz Frequency Range

cb_cobra.jpg

...I did however find a CB writeup which included the use of this smaller antenna at offroad.com...
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=639151&pageID=2

___________________________________________________________________________________

...SWR Meter and testing...

...This section is brief and just an overview. Please refer to your SWR Meter's instructions rather than using this as a guide..:hammer:

...This is a basic SWR meter for testing single antenna's...You can find these for $20 at most electronic stores but if you shop around, I have found them for $10..
cb_swr.jpg

...You must calibrate this each and every time you make an antenna adjustment. You also need to calibrate for each channel test, each and every time...

...You key the mike with the SWR meter in the calibrating mode (See switch position in picture) and you adjust the dial until it is in the set mode as shown below...

Note: Although these 2 pics of meters are of the same meter, the labeling is different but the switch positions are the same...
cb_install_008.jpg

...You then switch the meter to the test setting and key the mike on the channel you are testing...
___________________________________________________________________________________

...How To Set Up this Antenna per Cobra Instructions...

...Antenna Assembly...

...Loosen the set screw from the top of the antenna mast. Insert the whip into the mast until it hits bottom. lightly tighten set screw.

...Antenna Mounting...

...The metal body of your vehicle serves as the ground plane for the antenna. The ideal location for the antenna is on the center of the roof or trunk lid, as far away from any structures like luggage racks as possible. Make sure that all hardware and connections are tightened securely.

...Checking the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio)...

...Make sure your vehicle is in an open area at least 30 feet away from any metal objects and with the doors, hood and trunk closed. Connect an SWR meter in the Coax line between the radio and antenna (Unless your radio has a built in SWR meter). Check the SWR on both channel 1 and channel 40. Readings under 2:1 are considered acceptable, with 1:5:1 or lower being desirable.

Note..
..An SWR reading of over 3:1 on both channel 1 and 40 generally indicates an open or shorted coax or a poor ground connection. Re-check these conditions before proceeding. Do not use the radio until the problem has been corrected. An SWR reading between 2.0 and 3.0 generally indicates a problem with the coax quality or length, or an inadequate ground plane.

..Tuning the Antenna...

A) If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than channel 1:Remove the whip from the mast and trim it by 1/8" to 1/4" using a bolt cutter or hacksaw. Re-insert into the mast, tighten the set screw and again read the SWR. If the SWR reading is still higher than channel 1, repeat until the two channels readings are approximately equal.

B) If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than channel 40: Loosen the set screw, pull the whip up 1/4", tighten the set screw and read the SWR again. If the SWR is still higher than channel 40, repeat until the readings are approximately equal. Then firmly tighten the set screw.

Note:...
...Here are several common causes of "High SWR" readings from Firestick.com 's site...
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/swr-causes.htm
____________________________________________________________________________________

....Following procedure and my install results...

...I pulled the antenna out of the package and it came with an allen wrench too...Great, this should go quick...Trying to loosen the screw, the allen spun...It seems the screw had a taper in the receiving part...I whipped out my set of allens and then no problem..:dunno:
cb_install_002.jpg

..After placing the antenna in it's future resting spot, setting up my SWR Meter and calibrating it, I was able to start testing...

..Initial test channel 40...
cb_install_003.jpg

...Initial test channel 1...
cb_install_004.jpg

...After first trimming or two...Since the whip is stainless, I used an air cutoff tool...Using a hacksaw would only get you frustrated and bend the antenna..

..Channel 40...
cb_install_007.jpg

...Channel 1...
cb_install_005.jpg

..And after several more trimmings, (about an inch)...

...Channel 40...
cb_install_010.jpg

...Channel 1...
cb_install_006.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... I just picked up a lil wil for 45 bucks... Now Im on a spy mission at BTF...:shifty_ey
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come out with any super secret spy pictures? haha

...With any luck I'll have the "Lil Wil" mounted and tuned this weekend..;)

...They did have 1 other lil wil out at the T/A Truckstop and it was an open package but looked all intact, if anyone is looking for a good (one of the best) mag mount...Just don't come back with that little $28 made in china mag mount...:rolleyes:

come out with any super secret spy pictures? haha

..I just posted up the spy shots to the appropriate owners threads..:D

Your not too far away from me... if you get the urge to get more in depth (some call it retarded, but thats purely speculation:wtf:), let me know. There is a locally owned shop here called Jericho Communications and all he does are C.B.'s and accessories! It's like another grown-ups' candy store! Hopefully he will start cashing checks there! :D

..I had all that stuff way before CB's were cool...:smoke:

...If I were to do anything as a step up in the future, it would definitely be a ham radio set up..Hams outperform cb's in all area's of use...

...I have been offroading a bunch lately with guys with ham's in their trucks and they let me enjoy what I'm missing out on..So much better on trail that it makes you want to just throw your cb out the window..:(

...But, this thread was and still is intended for those needing and wanting to get into cb's to communicate with each other on trail for fairly cheap...And for that, cb's are perfect...:biggthump

...Although this is an old thread, this thread has some important info for those wanting to modify their cb's...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30164

I wasn't saying what I have is a step up from what you have... Jericho has a bunch of Ham stuff too. But his main customer base are truckers trying to hear other truckers. I have read a lot of threads with arguments for both sides of the spectrum and I have concluded that it is all a matter of personal preference.
Anyways, I wasn't trying to dog your setup at all, I was just thinking that if you were going to go nutso like me, then maybe you could come this way and check out our local shop and maybe we could hang out and do some wheeling sometime.
It's funny because this thread is one of the main ones that started me in on this whole C.B. thing!

...I never thought you were doggin this thread or my set up..:biggthump

...My comment was general, meaning, if I too am going to go nutso on radios it would be to the hams...:eek:..That's why I haven't bought one yet..:D

...As per "modding" cb radios which exceeds basic legal parameters, and then discussing them on a Forum, it is frowned upon...Kind of like discussing the removal of cats and is the reason why I posted up the last link...

...The last time I was in your neighborhood was a month before Buck Owens died and I used to go thru there quite often (Insert "Streets of Bakersfield" by Buck and Dwight)...But if the economy was better those who know me know, I would be at your house tomorrow a.m. to take you up on your offers...:bounce:

...It's all good and I can't wait to meet up with you and hopefully your Explorer with all it's new toys..;)

...:shifty_ey ..and feel free to blame me...All my friends wife's and girlfriends keep saying I'm a bad influence anyway's...:p:

...:shifty_ey ..and feel free to blame me...All my friends wife's and girlfriends keep saying I'm a bad influence anyway's...:p:

I can see that...

Bad influences make some of the best friends.:thumbsup:

I see where your coming from on the legality side of things, I was just too slow to pick up the first time.:rolleyes: I will be seeing you at Truckhaven this year and we can have a blast!:salute:

...Added informative link in my last post..:D

...In other news...I had the time today to install the Lil Wil on the Ranger...Surprisingly it did not require trimming but, it did not tune as well as the little Cobra antenna...:scratch:

...I will update the first post asap as I have several irons in the fire currently...For now though, I will throw in this pic of the Cobra and "Lil Wil" side by side for height comparison...The top of the "Lil Wil" antenna is at the black line on the building..

joints_001.jpg

guess i found what my first pay check goes to!

Back