Rear diff almost went boom | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff almost went boom

This all starts in Moab in 2005. My truck was running like crap because of bad gas. Another member was broke down with busted steering. So my now wife was slowly driving my truck out because it would only run for a minute then have to wait 5 till it would start again. While on her way out she hooked a rock and peeled the stock diff cover. No biggy could have been me as well. I order a heavy duty one when we get home and I install it. I have NEVER been able to get it to seal well. I have tried 3 or 4 times. I have just assumed it was a POS cover. It has been a while sense I last tried and has gotten worse so I decided to pull the cover and reseal it. Here is what I found. The ABS sensor ring was broke off the carrier. 3 ring gear bolts are missing. So far I have found 2. The rest of the bolts are hand tight. One of the threads in the ring gear is kind of jacked up. I hope to find a tap to run down it and clean it up. Now I just need to find some new ring gear bolts.

Attachments

• diff2.jpg
    diff2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 650

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I've got a tone ring for ya but no bolts...:dunno:

..Edit: ...You know, I might just have the bolts too..:scratch:

Tone ring is going to be history. The ABS has never been hooked up sense I swaped in the axle. Sense I am OBDI I do not need it for the motor. Less rotating mass so now the truck will be faster..... right?

Just found my doubler is nice and loose and the tcase skid plate I built years ago is bent and rubbing against the doubler. Have to love catching up on a bunch of maintenance I have been putting of for the last year or so.

The tone ring was pretty awesome. Not sure how I didnt do more damage to the diff. I also noticed that the diff cover I have sucks. There is an area on the bottom where there is roughly 1/8" of overlap between the housing and the cover. On top of that you have to move it all around to get the bolts to line up. The holes drilled in it are way over sized and makes the cover fit nice and sloppy. No wonder I could never get the thing to seal. Guess I need to add a new rear diff cover to the list.

Attachments

• diff3.jpg
    diff3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 590

...Do you remember who the Awesome maker of the diff cover was?

Ouch...Matt let me know if you need anything, we're going to be parting out that sport soon;)

95% sure but I dont want throw mud in case I am wrong. I will say it is NOT from Ruff Stuff, Ballistic, or Blue Torch. So I will probably be ordering a new one from one of those companies next.

..If you want it quick and this year, I would go with Ruffstuff and you can get a discount over on DR...;)

..The company in AZ does have a 15% off this weekend and 20% for return customers though, I'm not sure you would get it before the next KOH..

..Nothing against Blue Torch either just don't know of a discount for them..:dunno:

Wow! Real lucky the r&p didnt eat any of the bolts. Be sure to inspect the pinion for any chips.

Blue Torch has 20% off for the 4th, I dont think you need a code as the prices are already discounted on their site.

I highly recommend a Riddler cover from 4x4groupbuy.com or another vendor. Lipless design is where its at!

Wow! Real lucky the r&p didnt eat any of the bolts. Be sure to inspect the pinion for any chips.

You mean like this? I will check out the riddler covers. It will be a month or two till I have cash to buy a new cover.

Attachments

• diff4.jpg
    diff4.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 547

Had good luck with both my BTF covers:thumbsup:

A little Thread Locker maybe. But you are lucky.

There is zero evidence of Locktite on any of the bolts I have seen. I pulled my leaking doubler apart and you could see which bolts I put locktite on and which ones I didn't. Once I get all the parts needed they will be getting locktited back on.

The worst part is I was trying to get my truck ready to go to Midnight Madness poker run in two weeks. Now I wont be able to make it. I think it has been like 8 or 9 months sense I have been wheeling. Hopefully I can get it ready and do a quick run somewhere else this summer. Swamp or Dusy sure are calling my name.

Why use locktite when you can crossthread it? :D

Sounds like a perfect plan :D On that note if the one with some damaged threads is jacked up how well would a helicoil do in fixing it. The way I see it at this point is everything in the rear axle is now on borrowed time. If I can get some more use out of it I will be happy. Its not like if the gears let go I will be taking out an expensive locker or alloy shafts. The bearings have been in metal filled oil for who knows how long so who knows how long they will last.

I really see no downside of just tossing new bolts in there and running it. Worst case I am out some gear oil, rtv, and a few bolts.

Back