My DVD solution | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My DVD solution

Ahh man that sucks, too bad you didn't do some research first and tell her hey. We've could have gone to the PX and saved a bundle!! Dang, but believe me I know how old lady's can be sometimes. Fortunately my old lady agreed it was out of control after I we were at Target.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The two iPads would work for a combo, try looking into mono price.com cheap prices for folks. I use it for purchasing items for work. Cables, mounts, etc.
Example: hdmi cables, 6.00 bucks, yes 6!

Here is the finished product, I finally finalized the wiring. I hardwired it as it is not going anywhere anytime soon and it is very reversable.

This is for the Phillips Dual DVD player:

DVD3.jpg

DVD2.jpg

DVD1.jpg

DVD4.jpg

DVD6.jpg

DVD5.jpg

I'm very proud of this last photo, the power and a/v cable wrapped in some extra black plastic wire cover I had laying around.
DVD7.jpg

I apologize for the pictures being a little crooked.

That is one slick install Tio, great job.

I will also second the MonoPrice recommendation. I get all of my cables there and it hard to find them cheaper and get them faster. Great company to order from.

Thank you, I just didn't want cables exposed and have my DC outlet still to be available for other electronics.

I used MCM Electronics for the four prong extension cords and they are very inexpensive. I would recommend as it is hard to find audio/video cable to source in the U.S. for really only like $3 to 4 dollars.

That is one slick install Tio, great job.

I will also second the MonoPrice recommendation. I get all of my cables there and it hard to find them cheaper and get them faster. Great company to order from.

Thank you, I just didn't want cables exposed and have my DC outlet still to be available for other electronics.

I used MCM Electronics for the four prong extension cords and they are very inexpensive. I would recommend as it is hard to find audio/video cable to source in the U.S. for really only like $3 to 4 dollars.

You guys buying your cheep cables are killing your sound quality. Don't you know the best thing is to spend 90 bucks for a 6ft HDMI cable? :rolleyes:

For me........I use regular RCA cables, too. I don't need to fork-out extra money for a DVD system that is in my car (not my house). Besides, my kids wouldnt appreciate the sound quality if I spent more on their behalf.

If it was me in the backseat, then I might want the better wiring. But I am the driver, so I don't.

You guys buying your cheep cables are killing your sound quality. Don't you know the best thing is to spend 90 bucks for a 6ft HDMI cable? :rolleyes:

Why would I need HDMi??? This is a portable DVD player not BOSE. home
sound system. It's regular a DVD player not Blu Ray! You go ahead spend $90
on that cable buddy.

Why would I need HDMi??? This is a portable DVD player not BOSE. home
sound system. It's regular a DVD player not Blu Ray! You go ahead spend $90
on that cable buddy.

Unless I missed something, Mike was being sarcastic, lol. ;)

For me........I use regular RCA cables, too. I don't need to fork-out extra money for a DVD system that is in my car (not my house). Besides, my kids wouldnt appreciate the sound quality if I spent more on their behalf.

If it was me in the backseat, then I might want the better wiring. But I am the driver, so I don't.

There isn't a sarcasm button on the computer. Cheep cables for stuff like this are perfect. I was mainly bashing the sale of ultra high markup HDMI cables because 1's and 0's know the difference.

Quite honestly good cables are even more important for digital video signals. At 6', almost anything will work, but when you get over that and you're pushing 1920x1200 at 60hz, or you're doing something in 3D...cheap cables will expose their weaknesses. There's a lot of cross talk in digital cables, and with the ethernet over HDMI getting more popular, it will become more important.

Video signals didn't really have too many standards like networking....that's all changing now.

Quite honestly good cables are even more important for digital video signals. At 6', almost anything will work, but when you get over that and you're pushing 1920x1200 at 60hz, or you're doing something in 3D...cheap cables will expose their weaknesses. There's a lot of cross talk in digital cables, and with the ethernet over HDMI getting more popular, it will become more important.

Video signals didn't really have too many standards like networking....that's all changing now.

I wish there was a buzzer sound I could insert here.

Don't buy the Kool-aid Monster cables is selling. Monoprice cables are high quality, but in any event, a digital signal either goes through, or it doesn't. Unlike analog, the 1s and 0s either make it through the cable, or they don't. If they don't, then yes, there is breakup. I have several $20 hdmi cables that are 25 feet and longer and they all work beautifully.

I can't remember which, but one of the tech sites a while back did a comparison between a monster cable and a coat hanger. Guess what. There was barely any difference between the quality of the two, and no difference that would have been discernible to the user.

Goofy, your right don't spend money on the expensive cabling. BTW Monoprice is a major wholesell house for all your retailers. They also supply Samsung USA for all their state side made equipment. Just an all around great resource, remember cheap prices don't mean cheap product when you sell around the world. Glad to hear some folks have found the pot of Gold.

I wish there was a buzzer sound I could insert here.

Don't buy the Kool-aid Monster cables is selling. Monoprice cables are high quality, but in any event, a digital signal either goes through, or it doesn't. Unlike analog, the 1s and 0s either make it through the cable, or they don't. If they don't, then yes, there is breakup. I have several $20 hdmi cables that are 25 feet and longer and they all work beautifully.

I can't remember which, but one of the tech sites a while back did a comparison between a monster cable and a coat hanger. Guess what. There was barely any difference between the quality of the two, and no difference that would have been discernible to the user.

We are getting a bit off topic here but there have been many tests that show no difference between an ultra expensive HDMI and a 6 dollar one. They either work or don't as its a digital signal. For the other cables and speaker wire it pays to spend a little more money but you need not go hog wild unless you have a reference level system in your home. Being that car's are the worst acoustic environment to make sound good it's highly doubtful anyone would know the difference. That's not saying the proper gauge and correct installation will not.

Here is the finished product, I finally finalized the wiring. I hardwired it as it is not going anywhere anytime soon and it is very reversable.

This is for the Phillips Dual DVD player:

I apologize for the pictures being a little crooked.

How exactly did you route the wiring? I'm afraid of messing up the heating or cooling bits.

TIA

When you remove the headrests, you'll see the two plastic pieces you'll need a screw driver or flat head preferrably wrapped in tape or cloth press on the side where the button release is and press in and it'll come straight up.

Then use a wire coat hanger straigthen it out and wrap it in tape at both ends, remember to unhook the leather from the bottom seat it'll let some light in. You can look down the seatback and see light under neat, then tie or tape the wire to the hanger and slide it down once you fish it down you'll see it come out the bottom. I followed a thread of another gent who did the OEM install and how he wired it.

If you got anymore questions let me know. might be better to do it from the bottom up because of the connector but what I ended up doing was took apart the DC connector and unhooked it to run the wires down the back and used the wires to directly connect it to the positive and negative from the DC outlet.

Just make sure you keep track of the positive and negative cables. For this I pulled the DC outlet and hooked it up to those two wires. Slight strip and wraparoo and then firmly tapped them up for easy pull apart later. I chose not to solder. But its up to you how you wanna do it. I feel that it is safe to do it there. The DC outlet has a fuse and it has an automatic shut off after the vehicle goes into dormant mode.

Anyother questions please let me know.

Ahh...I didn't pull the plastic headrest mounts out. I was afraid to do something wrong. I think I got it from here.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh...I didn't pull the plastic headrest mounts out. I was afraid to do something wrong. I think I got it from here.

thanks!

Nice...I'll be home all evening if you have any questions, I think you got my number in your inbox.

Back