Projectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Projectors

Hey guys! how everyone doing? I just wanted to ask if anybody knows if they started making projector headlamp housing for the last generation sport trac...if not, then can someone tell me when theyll develop one

thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have been keeping an eye out for those as well, so far have not seen anything

Why would you want to? If your not afraid to get your hands dirty (Also I suggest a second pair of the headlight housings) might as well do a retrofit yourself, see my sport trac here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152309&page=5

Omero also has another example of it as well in the thread.

To be honest, the headlights housings that have built in projectors (unless it says otherwise) are almost always designed for halogens, if your looking for a halogen projector than that is different, but I can only assume you want HIDs, which are mediocre at best in halogen projectors (I know; I have an 03 GMC Yukon Denali that came with halogen projectors and I have HIDs in it) if you want any more information, just respond I'll keep an eye on the thread.

thats sweet! I have also considered a retrofit but havent had a clue how to do it...

can you send me info and instructions on how you did yours?

thats sweet! I have also considered a retrofit but havent had a clue how to do it...

can you send me info and instructions on how you did yours?

I too would love this :)

I too would love this :)

I'll be able to go into more detail when I get back from vacation, but basically I purchased everything I needed from The Retrofit Source (funny enough im going through with retrofitting my fog lights, and might be adding more lights a little later) and while I am not sure about the '01 for the 07+ explorers, it basically required to grind out a circle by the bulb (I can get a picture next week when I'm back) and just use some screws to secure it, hook it up, and your lights are now a million times better than the stock! :D

Like I said I can go into more detail next week.

its been a month

I'll be able to go into more detail when I get back from vacation, but basically I purchased everything I needed from The Retrofit Source (funny enough im going through with retrofitting my fog lights, and might be adding more lights a little later) and while I am not sure about the '01 for the 07+ explorers, it basically required to grind out a circle by the bulb (I can get a picture next week when I'm back) and just use some screws to secure it, hook it up, and your lights are now a million times better than the stock! :D

Like I said I can go into more detail next week.

Its been a month, where is it?

Its been a month, where is it?

Sorry for the delay, unfortunately life got busy. My Grandmother past away on the 30th of august, and then I started up College again, all of that combined with work makes for a limited time frame, add on top of that, the fact I only come around here once in a while doesn't help the situation :(

I'm actually away from home for the weekend, but if you have anything specifically that you need help with I might be able to offer my assistance, let me know :thumbsup:

Otherwise, the best way to describe the whole process in a general sense is that I cut out the back of the headlight housing, enough so that the FX-r would fit flush in the back (to a degree) then align it properly attach the shrouds, close up the headlights, wire the whole thing up then turn em on!

I know that isn't the best, but its what I have to work with currently, the hardest part is literally opening the headlights up.

For a more general guide, look for the PDF link under the picture @ this link

The only thing I would recommend is NOT to put the headlights in the oven, for me the housings started getting soft before the glue between the lens/body did. I used a heat gun and a HELL of a lot of patience, they are huge headlights.

I hope that helps some, again sorry it took so long.

Thanks 4 the information Alienman8.

Sorry for the delay, unfortunately life got busy. My Grandmother past away on the 30th of august, and then I started up College again, all of that combined with work makes for a limited time frame, add on top of that, the fact I only come around here once in a while doesn't help the situation :(

I'm actually away from home for the weekend, but if you have anything specifically that you need help with I might be able to offer my assistance, let me know :thumbsup:

Otherwise, the best way to describe the whole process in a general sense is that I cut out the back of the headlight housing, enough so that the FX-r would fit flush in the back (to a degree) then align it properly attach the shrouds, close up the headlights, wire the whole thing up then turn em on!

I know that isn't the best, but its what I have to work with currently, the hardest part is literally opening the headlights up.

For a more general guide, look for the PDF link under the picture @ this link

The only thing I would recommend is NOT to put the headlights in the oven, for me the housings started getting soft before the glue between the lens/body did. I used a heat gun and a HELL of a lot of patience, they are huge headlights.

I hope that helps some, again sorry it took so long.

Man I'm sorry for your loss.....

But yeah, Which kit did you buy the stage 3 or 4? And my only concern here is the alignment of the projectors, I hate myself because I am UBER picky about every single little detail LOL but another pair of housings would be easy for me to get, I work at a ford dealership. :thumbsup: Oh yeah and one issue I might have are going to be my daytime running lights.....where are they gonna go out of? the projectors?

Man I'm sorry for your loss.....

But yeah, Which kit did you buy the stage 3 or 4? And my only concern here is the alignment of the projectors, I hate myself because I am UBER picky about every single little detail LOL but another pair of housings would be easy for me to get, I work at a ford dealership. :thumbsup: Oh yeah and one issue I might have are going to be my daytime running lights.....where are they gonna go out of? the projectors?

Thank you, The one thing that we said at the time, and continue to say is that we had her for 90 years so, while it is still a huge hole that we are left with, it could have been much worse.

I would have the stage 3 kit, the only difference I see between the two seem to be OEM bulbs and ballasts, but to be honest unless your REALLY striving for uber quality you wont have a problem with the morimoto brand. I personally also have 55w bulbs/ballasts which throw a little more light than the 35w.

Your lucky you work for a ford dealership, I had to get mine second hand, and the one was completely unusable :mad: so I had to buy another one!

In terms of the DRLs, (I don't have them, but this is what I'd prob try if I did) is I would either pull the fuse for em (I believe they must have a separate fuse) and then if you still want some sort of DRLs, buy some Angel Eyes or side emitting LEDs and power them buy setting up a second relay that taps into a different wire that is on with the engine/accessory power (I'd most likely tap into the radio, since I have an aftermarket head unit, but I'm sure there are others that are possible) that way you don't have the DRLs screwing with your new HIDs, but you still get a DRL.

The only other thing that I could potentially see is wiring in a capacitor, but that would mean your HIDs would become your DRLs, your lows, and your highs which would put a good deal of hours on em, but is another possibility.

Again it all depends on the work you wanna do, it would most likely be easiest just to pull the fuse and be done with it.

One last thing on the alignment, Just take your time, I basically rushed through mine super fast and they still came out pretty good (the passenger side is a little tilted, but its not major) If your patient with the process, it should come out fine.

If you need any more help just let me know, I'd also recommend browsing around at hidplanet they have quite a wealth of knowledge.

I hope this is helpful! :thumbsup:

Can you tell me the exact same things you bought with your kit? i.e Shroud, bulbs, ballast, relay, etc. I dont wanna copy you but I just wanna get an idea what is compatible with the truck

Can you tell me the exact same things you bought with your kit? i.e Shroud, bulbs, ballast, relay, etc. I dont wanna copy you but I just wanna get an idea what is compatible with the truck

Sure!

FX-r 1.0s (the 1.1s are obviously improved so thats always good)
55W morimorto ballasts
55W 6000K D2S bulbs
H13 relay harness
Gatling Gun Shroud

I'd personally stick with FX-rs with our truck, the 55w vs 35w is really personal taste, I like 55w and would never think of going 35, but every person you ask is gonna give you a different answer

Also, the bulb temp is personal as well as the shrouds, I'd prob switch to 5000K if i did it now as well as getting Orbit or Panamera shrouds instead of Gatling Guns, but again that's only because my personal taste has changed.

If you happen to be looking for absolute top of the line then it would be some OEM ballasts and the Phillips bulbs, but really the mori stuff is close enough to that quality that I can't justify the price.

Anyway, hope that helps :thumbsup:
Let me know if you have anything else.

so the FX-R 1 are with the morimoto kit? I am so down to get a retrofit kit and using an adrenalin housing since it has the black components to it too. Now my only concern is sealing it back up 99.99% like new so theres no leaks and my running lights. I was thinking of getting the ccfl angel eyes but I don't think it bright enough to be legal.

the FX-R requires altos of modefication

the Morimoto Mini kits, either H1 4.1 or D2S 2.0 are more simple to retrofit (install), actually H1 is direct fitment.

this is H1 project:
Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit (installation) Guide

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313099

and this is D2S project:
Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit (installation) Guide

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314606

for me I prefer the D2S so I can use OEM Philips 85122+ 4300K D2S Bulbs

I Ordered:

• TRS BI-XENON: MINI D2S 2.0 HID Retrofit Kit:
    • 1 x D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System (MotoEliteD2S)
      Ballasts 35w: Morimoto 3Five (Long Cord Outputs)
      Bulbs 35w: Philips 85122+ 4300K D2S
      Wire Harness Canbus: H13/9008​
    • 1 x Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0 (MiniD2SBix)
    • 1 x OCI Butyl Rubber Glue (OCiGlue)
    • 1 x Gatling Gun (GatlingGun)

Last edited:

did you guys encounter a check left headlight/ check right headlamp error message on your dash when you installed your kits? BTW I have daytime running lights and I used to have a cheap PNP HID kit and it it flashed the message on for me everytime I started the truck

Back