HID Projector Retrofit - '02 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Projector Retrofit - '02 Explorer Sport

I recently purchased a kit from The Retrofit Source that included their Mini H1 projectors and HID bulbs. (I chose 4300K because it has the greatest lumens output)

I also opted for their CCFL Angel Eyes add-on (only comes in white)

*I got their audi style led light strips for free because the order was >$300, but had to request it in the comment section of the order.

** Once i got started on the project, I found that my headlight housings could no way fit a projector and a projector shroud, so I ended up tossing the shrouds I got after chopping them up trying to make them fit. If you do have a sport, I might try the mini graphite shrouds, but even those little suckers might not fit

*** I chose the mini H1 kit becaue they said the Mini D2S projectors are about 1/4" larger in all dimensions. After doing the retrofit, I am very glad for that extra 1/4" and doubt that I could have fit it otherwise. This means I was limited to their 35W bulbs/ballasts

I also purchased an 80mm amber LED ring here, and got two of their "plastic cover" diffuser rings to go with them.

PROCEDURE:

1) Bake your headlights and pry the clear lens off the front. There are tons of how-to's for this online. I set my oven to 250F and made sure the remove all hardware that could be removed before baking. 15 min made it super easy to pry off with a butterknife, but 7 minutes was just barely enough time if your work quickly.

* As you remove the clear lens from the rest of the headlight, wath out for those stringy drips of the sealing glue and make surenot to get any on the inside of the reflecting surface of the headlight.

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

2) Cut off the excess plastic on the back of the housing. If you try fitting the projector into the housing, you'll notice that you cannot tighten up the lock ring because the plastic has a flange that makes it nearly impossible to grab the lock ring and twist it. I solved this with a hacksaw
IMG_0411.jpg

3) I then stuck on my "audi-style LED light strips and drilled a small hole for the wire to exit the housing.

4) Remove that cup shaped piece that went in front of the halogen bulb inside the housing. Small screw.

5) Drill a hole (I think I used 3/8") near the bulb area of the housing for the rest of the wires to exit. For me, I had 6 wires : CCFL angel eye, hi-beam solenoid and LED halo.

6) Mount the amber LED facing towards the back of the projector (I used 2 dabs of superglue)

7) I used a dremel to increase the inside diameter of the diffuser rings. I started small and kept increasing the diameter until the diffuser ring fit snugly over the front of the projector. I then drilled 3 holes in the side of the diffuser ring and used floral wire to secure the CCFL Angel Eye to each one as shown in the picture:
IMG_0414.jpg

I then used a few drops of superglue to secure the modified diffuser lens to the projector.

8) Ready to assemble! Put the small o-ring over the threads on the back of the projector and place the correct 9007 adapter ring into the bulb hole of the housing. Insert the projector into the bulb hole and tighten up the lock ring. Install the bulb mounting hardware to the back of the projector and put the headlights on the car. Turn on the lights and rotate the projectors to make sure the beams line up. I had a little slop in the rotation, even with the adapter rings, so this is important!!!

9) Remove the headlights from the car, make sure the interior of your headlight housings are totally clean, remove the bulbs and any unnescessary hardware from the housings and bake them again to put the clear "lenses" on the front of your newly fabricated headlights. I used clamps to hold everything in place as the sealant cooled. I also used hot glue to seal up the holes I drilled for the wires where they exited the housings.

10) install the headlights and wire them up. using T-Tap connectors, I made the amber halo and audi-style LED light strip supplemenatl turn signals, and kept the CCFL on whenever the daytime running lights are on. I also had to switch the blue and white wires in the blue wiring harness in order for the highbeams to work correctly

finished product:
IMG_0428.jpg

This is just the daytime running lights without the headlights on. If you want more photos, I can post them =]

******Thanks to DiveMasterfor his detailed photos and descriptions here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good!! Definitely post some more pics!!

IMG_0428.jpg

This is just the daytime running lights without the headlights on. If you want more photos, I can post them =]

I'd like more pics of the whole truck, to see the full effect! Close-up shot looks really good, nice job.

moar pictures!!! :) been thinking about doing this.

Even with some daylight, the full car shots blow out the headlight exposure.... but here's a few more...
IMGP4071.jpg

IMGP4072.jpg

If you look closely in this one you can see some of the detail of my crooked dremeling of the CCFL holder -->
IMGP4069.jpg

nighttime closeup. You can see here how my turn signal has become dimmer because I have the Amber halo, CCFL halo and LED strip piggybacked off of the turn signal with some t-tap connectors....
IMGP4067.jpg

even closer:
IMGP4068.jpg

Here's the beam pattern:
023e4336.jpg

9511dce6.jpg

Fog lamps off-->
d3753415.jpg

I got the idea for the back facing LED ring from you!!

I got the idea for the back facing LED ring from you!!

Ok, I'll take credit for that idea, but the implementation of CCFL + LED Ring is all yours. Nice job! :thumbsup:

One of the CCFL rings burned out pretty quick... In the future I will be sticking with all LED accents.

I will also be looking into modifying the beam pattern to take out the step and make it flat, i.e, from this ....................______________
__________________/

To this

The step is there because you need more light higher up from the center of your headlights to the right.

Raising the cutoff on the left could blind oncoming traffic.

The step is there because you need more light higher up from the center of your headlights to the right.

Raising the cutoff on the left could blind oncoming traffic.

Well right now I'm either blinding traffic to my right or shooting just 50-100 ft in front of me. Granted- I could just adjust it higher and have everyone deal with it, but avoiding that is the reason I did this mod.

On second thought, if I could point both headlights slightly left, I'd be happy with the step. The step is currently at the right hand side of my lane. They both just aimed there when I plugged the lamps in, so I've only done vertical adjustments. I think a horizontal adjustment would involve removing the headlight housing to turn one of those anchor points?

did their bulbs come with ballasts? i have xentek hid's in mine, and when they shine thru the projector they sort of change colors. i need to get a new kit asap!

did their bulbs come with ballasts? i have xentek hid's in mine, and when they shine thru the projector they sort of change colors. i need to get a new kit asap!

There is the SLIGHT color change right at the cutoff line where you'll get some blues showing.... everywhere else is beautiful, uniform light and color.

You have TRS projectors tho?

EDIT: Looks like XenetecHID is just a plug n play setup. So you're working with your stock headlight housings, right?
A "projector" looks like this
projector_headlight_explain.jpg

All aftermarket HID's are "legal for offroad use only" in my state- The projector housing just focuses the light and makes the HID less annoying to other drivers and less likely to get you a ticket:
ObP2Q.jpg

how many k is ur hids

Hey n805aquaholic...Those look great. I picked up a set of the mini H1's the other day and got the headlights apart. It's hard to tell from your pics, but did your projectors go deep into the bowl, or just the threads popped out?

Also, why did you toss the shrouds? I have the mini gatling guns and they seem to fit inside fine, but they don't cover the whole projector. Not sure if you were trying to do something that I'm not.

Thanks for the pics, write up, and inspiration.

I'll start a thread when I get some pics together.

with a projector style light you dont really need the reflective properties of the housing that the old style bulbs needed.. i would have painted the housing black as well as taking apart the side markers and paint those housing black too.. it would make the led effects you added pop more and not look like they are just lights in there... they are reflecting off of the housing and making it very hard to see the accents you have added... just my suggestion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lookin nice

Back